• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Most of the G/S issues went for absurd prices and I mean absurd, 4 or 5 times GPA, now I am not saying GPA is gospel, but surely a rational person would look at it and estimate a price that would be reasonable, the prices realized were just totally unreasonable, but now anyone selling similar book will expect these prices, looks like I may be done buying books for a while until some sanity returns. :(

1 hour ago, batmiesta said:

Most of the G/S issues went for absurd prices and I mean absurd, 4 or 5 times GPA, now I am not saying GPA is gospel, but surely a rational person would look at it and estimate a price that would be reasonable, the prices realized were just totally unreasonable, but now anyone selling similar book will expect these prices, looks like I may be done buying books for a while until some sanity returns. :(

I’m focusing only on a few specific books for my collection. I’m willing to pay slightly above GPA, but at these prices I’ll pass. I already decided the time for me to pick up a X-Men #1 has come and gone. I only missed it by about half a year, but I don’t need it that bad in my collection.

13 minutes ago, FormerReader said:

I’m focusing only on a few specific books for my collection. I’m willing to pay slightly above GPA, but at these prices I’ll pass. I already decided the time for me to pick up a X-Men #1 has come and gone. I only missed it by about half a year, but I don’t need it that bad in my collection.

See this to me is rational, we all want certain books and have missed out on books, but we all won't do what a few have done this past auction and buy the book whatever the cost, most of us couldn't afford to anyway, I just don't think it is good for the hobby, don't get me wrong I am happy for the seller, but just can't understand the buyer,I just hope they are still buying when I sell my 9.8's.

19 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

See this to me is rational, we all want certain books and have missed out on books, but we all won't do what a few have done this past auction and buy the book whatever the cost, most of us couldn't afford to anyway, I just don't think it is good for the hobby, don't get me wrong I am happy for the seller, but just can't understand the buyer,I just hope they are still buying when I sell my 9.8's.

I’m with you. This market is too irrational right now. 

6 hours ago, batmiesta said:

I can see GS Avengers 4 getting hot but GS Superstars at 3400$ just absolutely blew my mind.... I think a couple people double zeroed their bids! 😂

6 hours ago, batmiesta said:

:takeit:

11 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Because...  :flipbait: :flipbait: :flipbait: :flipbait: :flipbait:

And nobody walks! (thumbsu

:gossip: Just remember the old saying about markets, "They always go higher than you think . . . And they always go lower than you think!"

Edited by divad

9 hours ago, batmiesta said:

Marvel G/S issues were never of the best production quality to start with - they are, for the most part, really tough in HG.

19 hours ago, batmiesta said:

It’s only the 9.8 chasers that are getting squeezed out, these books are still cheap and plentiful raw. Not including GS Xmen 1

4 hours ago, batmiesta said:

A nicer copy (IMO) seems to be struggling with 9 hours to go, but we will see. 

X-men 129 on ebay

Something looks off with the lower right hand corner in the picture.   It may be an illusion,  but it may be part if it.  It also has a few spine ticks.  It is kinda a weak 9.6.

On 3/1/2021 at 2:21 PM, IronMan_Cave said:

Bronze age comics are getting out of reach, and that's bad for new collector like me....

even late bronze (early 80s) CGC9.8 already going for hundreds of dollars...

so buy a 9.6, sometimes for less than the cost of slabbing. you might not even be able to tell the difference.

On 3/1/2021 at 2:21 PM, IronMan_Cave said:

Bronze age comics are getting out of reach, and that's bad for new collector like me....

even late bronze (early 80s) CGC9.8 already going for hundreds of dollars...

I'd also add, you're not buying a comic. You are buying a slab from CGC that says 9.8 on it and a comic book inside. That's where the hundreds are going.

Outside of hot keys that sell even when raw, nearly every book you are concerned about from that era can be found for $15 for less in nice shape. Often $5 or less.

I paid about $17, which included shipping, for this. Mid-grade. Classic Neal Adams cover, 1st appearance of a minor character (that had a TV show). Money going into some books seems to mean some others are getting ignored. Yes, a cgc 9.8 will probably be over $1000, but a 9.4 is probably only $100-150.

Image 1 - ACTION-COMICS-419-Nice-DC-COMICS-1972-SUPERMAN-NEAL-ADAMS-1ST-HUMAN-TARGET