• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PRETTY BOOK of "EVER"

85 posts in this topic

Scanner is a MICROTEK X12 USL Legal size....set at 75% and full res.....This book beat the MPC ....Its a 100X Better too...No Contest

Comgeek;

Congrats on the price you got for the MH Flash #1. I still remember talking to both Al and Dave after the initial sale of the Flash back in the mid 90's. Dave was saying that he was going to use the money to purchase one of the Batmobiles from the Batman TV show. Al was complaining that the Flash was really the only major book he had been able to acquired after running full page ads for over two years in CBM, OS guide, and some CBG's. Shows you how hard it was back then to acquire HG GA keys.

What's your opinion on the eventual price for the 9.0 copy of Bat #1. Will this be in the same ball park as the Flash #1? Is this starting to feel a bit like the mid 90's where the key GA's started to move to a new plateau after spectacular rises in SA during the early 90's. This increase in the GA keys was strong enough to pulled the entire GA market up to a new level. Will we see a repeat of this after seeing huge increases in SA and BA during the past few years? I guess only time will tell. confused-smiley-013.gif

Every time I see a book like that, I wonder why all of Comic Fandom hasn't pitched in to erect a massive statue of Edgar Church to honor his memory.

Seriously.

I think we could start by making a point of referring to his books as "Edgar Church" copies and leave the "Mile High" name to sleazy warehouse finds.

Bring it on home! Go tell it on the moutnain. And AMEN!!!!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

Every time I see a book like that, I wonder why all of Comic Fandom hasn't pitched in to erect a massive statue of Edgar Church to honor his memory.

Seriously.

I think we could start by making a point of referring to his books as "Edgar Church" copies and leave the "Mile High" name to sleazy warehouse finds.

Bring it on home! Go tell it on the moutnain. And AMEN!!!!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

If you submitted a Mile High to CGC and specifically asked that only Church's name be listed in the pedigree spot do you think Steve would oblige?

Its a shame that a book that has obviously been handled with kid gloves all these years has those pen markings on it.

893whatthe.gif

Without "those pen[cil] markings," you'd have just another high grade book.

"Those pen[cil] markings" are what distinguishes a simple pretty book from the PRETTY BOOK of "EVER."

Here's a quarter ... go buy yourself a clue.

I think he may be saying that the books don't appear to be downgraded at all for the markings? To that I'd agree, just because a defect (writing is a defect) is how you determine whether it's a pedigree doesn't mean that same writing should be considered into the grade. I haven't seen many MH's (mostly because the books that pop up don't interest me), so I'm really refering to the Winnipeg books at this stage.

Brian

Many collectors want to see the classic markings of a Mile High. CGC does not take off for these coded books and I dont think they should. If Edgar had scribbled his name across the top of a book with a pen where it detracted from the overall beauty, that may have been a different story.

Al Capps sold the Flash # 1 to the person I purchased it from.And Steve Borock may be able to tell us someone else who once owned this book!! Al Capps also owned the Cap Am # 1 Allentown. Dave Anderson at one time or another has owned almost every desirable MH including all the Timelys. I have been to dave's house several times and it is truely a site to behold. A 2000 sq. ft finished basement with ceiling to floor of every single Batman and Superman item you could imagine...and most in Mint condition.....Artwork, Toys, Premiums, Costumes...many one-of-a-kind items....The Batmobile and BatCyle in his garage. I just sold Dave the Mile High More Fun 52 and the CGC VF 7.5 Superman # 1 which he already has a copy that may grade 9.0/9.2. He owns the Denver Flash # 1. I graded it about 3 years ago...Its an 8.5 ...NICE BOOK...I only know one copy that could be a NM 9.2...and its not going anyplace soon. And I hope for this collector, its Unrestored....or should I say I hope for the big dealer that sold it to him.

Many collectors want to see the classic markings of a Mile High. CGC does not take off for these coded books and I dont think they should. If Edgar had scribbled his name across the top of a book with a pen where it detracted from the overall beauty, that may have been a different story.

thumbsup2.gif The markings were part of the book's natural life cycle.

or should I say I hope for the big dealer that sold it to him.
893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe I'm cynical but I bet several of the big dealers have this type of skeleton in their closet - i.e. knowingly selling restored books as unrestored back in the day - when it came to big books and big money, anyway. Dupcak might be the obvious and flagrant example but I have to believe he wasn't the only one. Obviously sketchy sales to knowledgeable collectors could hurt overall sales if word got out, but a quick ten grand on some slight restoring to a neophyte collector? I certainly wouldn't doubt it.

You know, I have been looking at this many times now. It really IS insane at 9.6. I don;t mean the 9.6 is insane. I mean this book existing in 9.6 is insane. And a wonderful thing. Yes, a statue to Edgar Church, or at LEAST a plaque, is in order.

But one thing troubled me. The pages are OW-W. Any familiar with Chruch's collection know this book? Because if you do, I have to ask if this was White Page when Chuck found it. If it was it makes me a titch sad, because I have seen more and more of the "white page" cChurch books with now less than White pages.

I know that storage conditions etc. make it VERY difficult to maintain page whiteness. But just a bit frustrating if the page quality is starting to deteriorate. In another 20 years, will it still be OW-W? Man, I hope it gets the best storage possible! thumbsup2.gif

I know what you mean about the page quality detoriating, but two thoughts:

1) it's been 25 years now since they were first unearthed.. that's a significant about of time - in fact it's been OUT of the church environment almost as long now as it was IN the environment

2) maybe this book was near the top of a stack - I know it's just hearsay, but weren't the books at the bottom the whiter and more mint books due to the weight of the stack, etc?

Either way, it's just gorgeous, and I'd take it over the 9.0 Bats 1 in a heartbeat

Obviously these books are an exception but it begs the question what if they were identified some other way? What if they were all unique by a specific water stain on the back cover. I don't think the water stain on one book should be less of a downgrade simply because it's from a pedigree collection. If two books have a similar water stain, the water stain should have the SAME grade effect on both books (the pedigree and the non-pedigree).

So with other variables controlled, if CGC (for the sake of numerical estimates) downgrades a book that's otherwise 9.4 to a 9.2 because of a written mark in the top corner. The pedigree copy that's a 9.4 but has a written mark on the top corner should also be downgraded. That's just IMO, I know others don't agree that date stamps and writing are defects.

Brian

A 2000 sq. ft finished basement with ceiling to floor of every single Batman and Superman item you could imagine...and most in Mint condition.....Artwork, Toys, Premiums, Costumes...many one-of-a-kind items....

I hope Dave has a damn good plumber who knows how to install a sump pump and backup system. How often do hurricanes hit Virginia?

(And since we're talking about good old Edgar Church in this thread, let me put something into perspective for everyone: Dave's basement at 2000 sq. ft is over 400 sq. ft larger than the entire house the Church collection was stored in (and for forty years, no less!). In fact, the basement at 2331 XXXXX is under 800 sq. ft. in total! Talk about 5 pounds of stuff crammed into a 2 pound area! Ponder that the next time someone wants to carp about Chuck ripping anyone off. Those books were an albatross for that family! sign-rantpost.gif)

Alan

Obviously these books are an exception but it begs the question what if they were identified some other way? What if they were all unique by a specific water stain on the back cover.

Can you say, "Larson?" Or perhaps "Cosmic Aeroplane?" smile.gif

I don't think the water stain on one book should be less of a downgrade simply because it's from a pedigree collection. If two books have a similar water stain, the water stain should have the SAME grade effect on both books (the pedigree and the non-pedigree).

So with other variables controlled, if CGC (for the sake of numerical estimates) downgrades a book that's otherwise 9.4 to a 9.2 because of a written mark in the top corner. The pedigree copy that's a 9.4 but has a written mark on the top corner should also be downgraded. That's just IMO, I know others don't agree that date stamps and writing are defects.

I'm curious ... have you ever compared a raw pedigreed issue with its plebeian counterpart? Have you ever seen the glowing white pages of a San Francisco? Or the dripping wet cover colors on an Edgar Church book? Or smelled the newsstand freshness of a Gaines (betcha thought I was gonna say "Salida"!)?

Everyone who thinks all books should be graded equally based on the number of spine creases or corner folds they have needs to perform the above exercises a couple of times. Perhaps then they'll come to appreciate where those of us with a "differing opinion" are coming from.

Alan

(Edit to flip San Francisco and Edgar Church references. "Don't post when you're tired.")

I've seen a fair amount of these books (pretty much just Cap books), and still maintain a defect shouldn't be given a benefit of the doubt just because it came from a known collection. The book should be weighed on its own merit, not because of where it's from.

Brian

I've seen a fair amount of these books (pretty much just Cap books), and still maintain a defect shouldn't be given a benefit of the doubt just because it came from a known collection. The book should be weighed on its own merit, not because of where it's from.

Brian

IMO, I don't agree with that. Something like the MH coding I feel is very much a piece of the history and makes the book MORE desireable. But heh, I also dig date stamps as long as they are not obtrusive,

DAM

Personally I don't think that distribution based writing or date stamps that are unobtrusive are a defect in anything but the most outrageous grades. And even then I'm only bowing to the pressure of perfection. That counts for non-pedigree books as well. To me they're just part of a GA book's life cycle.

I'm curious ... have you ever compared a raw pedigreed issue with its plebeian counterpart? Have you ever seen the glowing white pages of a nice Edgar Church book? Or the dripping wet cover colors on a San Francisco? Or smelled the newsstand freshness of a Gaines (betcha thought I was gonna say "Salida"!)?

Everyone who thinks all books should be graded equally based on the number of spine creases or corner folds they have needs to perform the above exercises a couple of times. Perhaps then they'll come to appreciate where those of us with a "differing opinion" are coming from.

Alan

I can vouch for this in my own little collection. I have a small run of high grade Captain America (60's Marvel) that includes several consecutive Boston copies. While the surrounding issues are of the same or higher technical grade, the Bostons blow them away due to their fresh pages and dripping wet inks. The non-pedigree books are extremely nice, but they just don't compare...

Question - Would it be accurate to say that this is possibly the highest graded, most significant comic known to exist? Meaning, is there a more historically important book of the golden age that is in the same or better condition than this one? If so, what comic?

This Flash #1 is completely insane. I don't know what to say. Thanks so much for sharing it with us, Comgeek.