• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PRETTY BOOK of "EVER"

85 posts in this topic

Personally I don't think that distribution based writing or date stamps that are unobtrusive are a defect in anything but the most outrageous grades. And even then I'm only bowing to the pressure of perfection. That counts for non-pedigree books as well. To me they're just part of a GA book's life cycle.

Rob, you said it perfectly. Such markings ARE part and parcel of the GA life cycle. The fact that such markings can actualy be used to establish such a pedigree makes them danged special!

1) it's been 25 years now since they were first unearthed.. that's a significant about of time - in fact it's been OUT of the church environment almost as long now as it was IN the environment

I agree - the book is stunning. I was just expressing sorrow at the reality of the world. My feeling is this book had better page quality in the 70's. And just hoping some of the Church in-the-know folk can speak about the page quality.

Question - Would it be accurate to say that this is possibly the highest graded, most significant comic known to exist? Meaning, is there a more historically important book of the golden age that is in the same or better condition than this one? If so, what comic?

Heh, I'm not even sure this book would rank in the top five. Flash #1, while a major GA key, is still surpassed by a bunch of better books:

Church Action #1 (Metro calls it a 9.2)

Church All American #16 (I forget if Verzyl calls it a 9.6 or 9.8 -- like it matters? Find me an unrestored copy better than an 8.0!)

Church Marvel #1 (Verzyl calls it a 9.8!)

Allentown Detective #27 (if comparable to the Cap #1, a 9.6. Don't know if it has the dripping-wet cover colors like Church copies do, though.)

Allentown Cap #1 (CGC 9.6)

And those are just off the top of my head first thing this morning!

The thing about these books, though, is that most of them are locked up tighter than Greggy's short shorts and probably won't even be CGCed any time soon. So we're left with those that slowly trickle out -- like this Flash #1.

Alan

Thanks for responding, Alan. The only one I was somewhat familiar with through rumor and stories was the Edgar Church Action # 1 at 9.2. I didn't know whether or not the other massive keys you mentioned had also survived the years in quite the same way as Flash # 1. It's good to know that some even bigger keys are extant in these incredible structural grades.

Thanks again for the education,

-Jim

Question - Would it be accurate to say that this is possibly the highest graded, most significant comic known to exist? Meaning, is there a more historically important book of the golden age that is in the same or better condition than this one? If so, what comic?

Heh, I'm not even sure this book would rank in the top five. Flash #1, while a major GA key, is still surpassed by a bunch of better books:

Church Action #1 (Metro calls it a 9.2)

Church All American #16 (I forget if Verzyl calls it a 9.6 or 9.8 -- like it matters? Find me an unrestored copy better than an 8.0!)

Church Marvel #1 (Verzyl calls it a 9.8!)

Allentown Detective #27 (if comparable to the Cap #1, a 9.6. Don't know if it has the dripping-wet cover colors like Church copies do, though.)

Allentown Cap #1 (CGC 9.6)

And those are just off the top of my head first thing this morning!

The thing about these books, though, is that most of them are locked up tighter than Greggy's short shorts and probably won't even be CGCed any time soon. So we're left with those that slowly trickle out -- like this Flash #1.

Alan

I agree , everything you said!!! I can only imagine what the Church copies of All American# 16 & Marvel # 1 look like in person !!! & the others , I can only dream!!!! cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

now why doesn't this book have a PLOD? confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Very minor color touch ... Very minor glue. Doesn't matter if it's from the Edgar Church or the Joe Blow pedigree .... makepoint.gif

...at CGC's discretion, may receive a Universal Blue Label...

Of course, I couldn't agree with you more. Someone worked on this book, and it should be a purple label. I can accept the fact that sometimes it's impossible to tell if a book has been pressed, but if you find either CT or glue (or both) then by all means - that's the very definition of a purple label book.

Very minor color touch ... Very minor glue. Doesn't matter if it's from the Edgar Church or the Joe Blow pedigree .... makepoint.gif

Sorry, but there are definitely two standards, and it`s painfully obvious. If there were ANY color touch or glue on a SA or later book, it would get a PLOD.

Look, there are no true level playing fields anywhere in life, so we should stop harboring any illusions that our little hobby is any different. It`s completely predictable that the TRUE BSDs (the players in the GA field, not the little SA peons) would ensure that the field was tilted in their favor to ensure that they wouldn`t be penalized for their past minor infractions. It would not have been rational for them to throw their support behind a system that would reduce the value of a significant portion of their collections. It`s also not surprising that CGC was willing to make this compromise with them, because without the support of these BSDs, CGC might never have received the market acceptance necessary to get off the ground. All perfectly understandable, and based on the overall benefit that I believe CGC has brought to the hobby, I think it`s been a worthwhile trade-off. But we shouldn`t pretend that the trade-off doesn`t exist.

You sure it doesn't matter? Then why's this one a PLOD then?

Very small amount of color touch. And it's amateur, to boot, meaning bleedthru and no easy removal.

(When did I take over Fantastic Four's job as the spokesman for this stuff? confused-smiley-013.gif)

Alan

Those books were an albatross for that family! sign-rantpost.gif)

Chuck shot the Albatross? confused.gif

No, Edgar Church would have shot the albatross. Chuck removed it from around his neck, freeing the family from its curse.

(Yeah, yeah ... it's a pizz-poor analogy! Gimme a break already! smile.gif)

Sorry, but there are definitely two standards, and it`s painfully obvious. If there were ANY color touch or glue on a SA or later book, it would get a PLOD.

Look, there are no true level playing fields anywhere in life, so we should stop harboring any illusions that our little hobby is any different. It`s completely predictable that the TRUE BSDs (the players in the GA field, not the little SA peons) would ensure that the field was tilted in their favor to ensure that they wouldn`t be penalized for their past minor infractions. It would not have been rational for them to throw their support behind a system that would reduce the value of a significant portion of their collections. It`s also not surprising that CGC was willing to make this compromise with them, because without the support of these BSDs, CGC might never have received the market acceptance necessary to get off the ground. All perfectly understandable, and based on the overall benefit that I believe CGC has brought to the hobby, I think it`s been a worthwhile trade-off. But we shouldn`t pretend that the trade-off doesn`t exist.

No one's disputing this. Least of all me. grin.gif