• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 CGC Books Lost/Stolen - USPS Registered Mail- Walking Dead #100's

35 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

I fast-tracked two copies of the book pictured below back at the end of the summer. CGC shipped the two CGC books on 9/11/2012, and as of today's date I have still not received the package. :(

Both Books were CGC Signature Series (Yellow Label) 9.8's:

CGC Serial #:1046056001

CGC Serial#:1046056002

solen_zps2e7a7cb0.jpg

I talked to a claims representative with USPS and they opened a investigation.They said what happened was there was a crate of registered mail that went missing from their Florida Hub from that time period. The rep said that this is the first time he has ever heard of registered mail not being delivered or stolen.

CGC and I were hopeful they were going to find the crate but as of now I have given up and just filled out a claim as advised by that same USPS representative on the phone.

I know this is a long shot, but if any of you guys happen to see a 9.8 CGC SS copy of this book that have the above CGC serial numbers on them (especially eBay) to please contact me right away. I will reward ($$) anyone with any information leading to me recovering any of the books.

Happy Holidays,

John (SOT)

Oh and next time you hear a postal worker talk about USPS has never once lost a registered mail package you can tell different. :preach:

That sucks dude. Will keep an eye out for ya.

Very disappointed in the USPS. Registered Mail should be beyond reproach.

The rep didn't say absolutely, but he pretty much admitted it sounded like an inside job.

He told me USPS is doing a huge behinds the scene investigation because one of the packages missing as well was an urn containing the remains of someone's relative. :o

Once I heard that my level of entitlement went down very low for my package..

There is a poster at the Valiant boards who also had books lost that were shipped from CGC on 9/11/2012. I have suggested that he come over here and post because CGCs handling of the situation has been pretty poor (from his point of view).

How has CGC handled this from your perspective, SoT?

That sucks dude. Will keep an eye out for ya.

Very disappointed in the USPS. Registered Mail should be beyond reproach.

The rep didn't say absolutely, but he pretty much admitted it sounded like an inside job.

He told me USPS is doing a huge behinds the scene investigation because one of the packages missing as well was an urn containing the remains of someone's relative. :o

Once I heard that my level of entitlement went down very low for my package..

Yikes!

As for the USPS, as their financial woes continue to pile up, and they start hiring more part-time help as they shed full time positions, these kind of problems might actually start happening more. Scary thought.

There is a poster at the Valiant boards who also had books lost that were shipped from CGC on 9/11/2012. I have suggested that he come over here and post because CGCs handling of the situation has been pretty poor (from his point of view).

Yeah I assumed other customers packages from CGC were probably affected from this stolen USPS Registered Mail crate as well.

After talking with CGC their stance from their company policy guidelines is as follows:

DAMAGE OR LOSS IN TRANSIT. Due to their fragile nature, comic books can be damaged while in a CGC holder if improperly handled, stored or displayed. By using CGC’s products/services, you agree that CGC is not responsible for damage or loss whatsoever occurring during transit to or from CGC’s facility, or thereafter. The risk of damage or loss during transit and thereafter is entirely upon you. Unless CGC receives special delivery instructions from you, CGC will return books to you by carrier of its choice. If you wish to control your risk of damage or loss by transit, you should make arrangements to pick up your books directly at CGC’s facility.

So yes I still had to pay for the CGC invoice.

CGC's management said since the box was shipped to my confirmed address and USPS lost the box I need to recover all expenses from USPS.

I knew I would have to go through USPS to file the claim to recover the money for the value of books obviously, however I assumed CGC would waive/not charge me for the grading costs of the that invoice. So after I contacted them about that they said sorry for the lose of your books, but yes I do in factstill have to pay for that invoice.

They told me any customer/dealer should also include in the insurance value of your books all necessary CGC grading costs as well because CGC is not responsible for losses or damage incur after they ship your package to the correct address.

Lesson learned going forward. (shrug)

I was just wondering if you had these insured for the grade they came back as? I hope you did so the insurance covers the full value for you so at least your kind of whole in the end.

Nope, half the value because I assumed like everyone else USPS doesn't lose registered mail. lol ...... :facepalm: (at myself)

:lol: sounds like some of the dealers here - not my problem once I've handed it off in the mail. Seems like insurance should be included in the already exorbitant fees to protect CGCs own stellar rep..... but not.

Yeah I assumed other customers packages from CGC were probably affected from this stolen USPS Registered Mail crate as well.

After talking with CGC their stance from their company policy guidelines is as follows:

DAMAGE OR LOSS IN TRANSIT. Due to their fragile nature, comic books can be damaged while in a CGC holder if improperly handled, stored or displayed. By using CGC’s products/services, you agree that CGC is not responsible for damage or loss whatsoever occurring during transit to or from CGC’s facility, or thereafter. The risk of damage or loss during transit and thereafter is entirely upon you. Unless CGC receives special delivery instructions from you, CGC will return books to you by carrier of its choice. If you wish to control your risk of damage or loss by transit, you should make arrangements to pick up your books directly at CGC’s facility.

CGC's management said since the box was shipped to my confirmed address and USPS lost the box I need to recover all expenses from USPS.

I knew I would have to go through USPS to file the claim to recover the money for the value of books obviously, however I assumed CGC would waive/not charge me for the grading costs of the that invoice. So after I contacted them about that they said sorry for the lose of your books, but yes I do in factstill have to pay for that invoice.

They told me any customer/dealer should also include in the insurance value of your books all necessary CGC grading costs as well because CGC is not responsible for losses or damage incur after they ship your package to the correct address.

Yes, I've made this change when I submit invoices. I list every book's value at a minimum of $30 to cover the grading and shipping costs for that book. I understand CGC's position in this case, although I think that they should make it a little more clear on their submission forms that the value you assign to your books should be the graded "GPA-ish" value at the grade you expect them to get, not the replacement value or what you paid.

I was more asking about the customer service side. Did they help you get your USPS claim made? A registered mail claim cannot be made online (so I am told.) Has CGC been willing to talk to you about the problem and advise you what to do?

Yes, I've made this change when I submit invoices. I list every book's value at a minimum of $30 to cover the grading and shipping costs for that book. I understand CGC's position in this case, although I think that they should make it a little more clear on their submission forms that the value you assign to your books should be the graded "GPA-ish" value at the grade you expect them to get, not the replacement value or what you paid.

I was more asking about the customer service side. Did they help you get your USPS claim made? A registered mail claim cannot be made online (so I am told.) Has CGC been willing to talk to you about the problem and advise you what to do?

I was told I have to file a claim via USPS. That is about it.

I had two registered mail boxs shipped the same day going to CGC with 90 books in them. They lost an entire crate of registered mail in the Atlanta airport. It was found three months later after they paid my claim. I had to return the claim to get the boxes back. So it could still show up. Trying to file a claim with the post office and proving a value is difficult as the books were still raw.

I'm a little unclear why you would think CGC should reimburse you the grading fees if the USPS lost the package.

Am I missing something so obviously logical that I can't see it?

I'm a little unclear why you would think CGC should reimburse you the grading fees if the USPS lost the package.

Am I missing something so obviously logical that I can't see it?

You miss something logical. :slapfight:

Honestly that topic doesn't matter to me anymore at this point. That is their policy so now I know going forward that I need include their grading costs in my insurance valuation of my books. Like I said lesson learned.

All I care about at this point in time is slim chance of anybody spotting my two lost books and seeing if I can recoup them.

Also I would like to add:

This is NOT the first instance of USPS losing a registered parcel. has happened at least TWICE relating to CGC Forumites.

CAL with the long, long memory...

I hope you find your books. Was the location of theft was meant to target CGC books?

Completely unrelated, my last shipment from Mycomicshop I had picked up from the post office. So it was never out of the post office's hand. When I got the box, it looked like someone tried to peek into it. Half of the box top was sliced with a box cutter and partially lifted upward. I suspect the return address with the word "COMIC" in it, sparked some interest.

I have all my parcels addressed to "new force" these days. Not "new force comics" just to eliminate any "curiosity"

Back in 2004 I had about 30 parcels get stolen from within the USPS system. Jax postal investigators discovered an inside ring of thieves that were putting labels over intended labels at a sort facility. So, theft happens everywhere and the USPS is not without their internal issues as most every shipping co is as well