• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 CGC Books Lost/Stolen - USPS Registered Mail- Walking Dead #100's

35 posts in this topic

I'm a little unclear why you would think CGC should reimburse you the grading fees if the USPS lost the package.

Am I missing something so obviously logical that I can't see it?

I believe this is more of a customer service issue on the PR side than someone feeling an actual entitlement for a refund. In the end the books were never received from CGC, and in the eyes of the company they handed it off to the USPS and it is not longer their problem, it's yours.

No one likes to hear from a company that you entrust with your personal items: "sucks to be you, but this isn't a concern of ours go talk to someone else". The way things are handled (even when at no fault) often times reflects directly on how a company wants it's customers to see it.

I'm a little unclear why you would think CGC should reimburse you the grading fees if the USPS lost the package.

I believe this is more of a customer service issue on the PR side than someone feeling an actual entitlement for a refund. In the end the books were never received from CGC, and in the eyes of the company they handed it off to the USPS and it is not longer their problem, it's yours.

No one likes to hear from a company that you entrust with your personal items: "sucks to be you, but this isn't a concern of ours go talk to someone else". The way things are handled (even when at no fault) often times reflects directly on how a company wants it's customers to see it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but they shipped it for the insured amount John specified. It ISN'T their problem to handle.

I always insure it for the slabbed value just in the event something just like this happens.

Thus the meaning of the word "insurance."

I think it's horrible that his books were lost, and I hope they are found, but thinking CGC needs to do something more than tell him to talk to USPS is ridiculous.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but they shipped it for the insured amount John specified. It ISN'T their problem to handle.

I always insure it for the slabbed value just in the event something just like this happens.

I think it's horrible that his books were lost, and I hope they are found, but thinking CGC needs to do something more than tell him to talk to USPS is ridiculous.

Kinda curious now on your stance on this then.

If I sold you a comic book on eBay and shipped it to your "confirmed" mailing address and this same situation happened would you then be okay with me saying to you that you need to now go to USPS file a claim instead of me giving you a refund?

Cause we all know every single eBay buyer would demand a refund and/or would file a Paypal claim against me right away.

If I sold you a comic book on eBay and shipped it to your "confirmed" mailing address and this same situation happened would you then be okay with me saying to you that you need to now go to USPS file a claim instead of me giving you a refund?

Cause we all know every single eBay buyer would demand a refund and/or would file a Paypal claim against me right away.

On some level Dice is correct, but there's definitely a level on which you are correct. A less inept customer service response would be for the following things to happen:

- CGC learns from the post office, through inquiries, that a bunch of packages were lost that were shipped on 9/11.

- CGC calls/emails each of the customers they shipped books to on 9/11 and alerts them to the situation.

- When enough time has passed, CGC files claims for all the packages with assistance from the submitters.

- When the claims are paid, CGC pays the customer.

Of the above things, CGC hasn't done a single one. The poster on the Valiant boards with this issue called CGC multiple times before it clicked with someone that his box was shipped out on 9/11. When he went to file the claim, there were a number of things he did not know that were required on the form, like the exact postage cost of the package, and CGC was unwilling or unable to help him with that.

Spiderman-on-Tilt

Hello,

I'm the one ckb mentioned from the Valiant boards. My issue with the way CGC has handled this is from their lack of co-operation in getting a claim filed. USPS has requested information that only CGC has and I have now had to request the information twice.

My whole story is here

I got the same story about the dead person's remains. Have you had any more info on your situation? Have they given you the information requested?

This is different. Before a person submits to CGC, that person specifically agrees to pay for insurance and not hold CGC liable once the books have been handed off to post (or other carrier). If you can work that into your ebay sales, more power to you.

The only thing CGC owes you in this case is to provide you (and/or the post office) with the pertinent shipping info (which it seems like they weren't great at in this case).

You paid for them to grade your book, encapsulate it, and box it for shipping, then to give it to post. They did all of those things. Whether you get the books back or not, they recieved, graded, encapsulated, prepped and shipped those books, and there are costs THEY incurred as a result, which you agreed to pay for. Using YOUR money, they then paid for the post and the insurance. So the POST OFFICE owes you for losing it. CGC doesn't.

Otherwise why did CGC force you to get insurance?

This is different. Before a person submits to CGC, that person specifically agrees to pay for insurance and not hold CGC liable once the books have been handed off to post (or other carrier). If you can work that into your ebay sales, more power to you.

The only thing CGC owes you in this case is to provide you (and/or the post office) with the pertinent shipping info (which it seems like they weren't great at in this case).

You paid for them to grade your book, encapsulate it, and box it for shipping, then to give it to post. They did all of those things. Whether you get the books back or not, they recieved, graded, encapsulated, prepped and shipped those books, and there are costs THEY incurred as a result, which you agreed to pay for. Using YOUR money, they then paid for the post and the insurance. So the POST OFFICE owes you for losing it. CGC doesn't.

Otherwise why did CGC force you to get insurance?

I agree. I actually have had Paypal decide an ebay claim in my favor simply because I had proof of mailing. But, I did what I could to help with the situation.

My problem here, and I can't speak for anyone else here, is with the customer service. I paid for a service and part of that service is making sure that issues like this are resolved in a timely fashion. That isn't happening here. Due to the way CGC has handled my situation (or hasn't handled it) the claim process has been significantly increased.

I'm personally not asking for any refund from CGC. But, if I was in their shoes, I would try harder to make the customer happy.

Additionally, if CGC filed the claims on their end, they could request a refund for the fees whether the customer stated them or not. Then they could make sure that the customer gets refunded for the entire transaction.

I suspect that the reason that not much is being done with these is that it just doesn't happen that often, so CGC is calculating that they won't have too much fallout from this.

I was just wondering if you had these insured for the grade they came back as? I hope you did so the insurance covers the full value for you so at least your kind of whole in the end.

Nope, half the value because I assumed like everyone else USPS doesn't lose registered mail. lol ...... :facepalm: (at myself)

Me too. lol

I’m curious if your books went missing from the Opa Locka, Florida post office and what is the approximate date?

I’m asking because an acquaintance from another forum has a substantial amount of valuable coins missing on or around the 14th of December.

Good luck man I hope you recover your books or at least the value of them.