• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

Mathias Grunewald, from the Isenheim Alter Triptych. One of my favorite pieces ever.

Happy Easter!

136255.jpg

It isn't Man of Steel, nor even remotely comic-related, but if anyone is looking for a thoroughly gripping read, every bit as much a white knuckle ride as the latest Star Trek movie, may I recommend Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall and it's sequel, Bring up the Bodies?

Bringupthebodiesd_zps5da564c4.jpg

I have no hesitation in saying these are quite possibly the best historical novels ever written - and I include War and Peace and I, Claudius. They are savage, gripping, vivid, psychologically penetrating and merciless.

The first two in a planned trilogy, they recount the life of Thomas Cromwell, adviser to Henry VIII.

In A Man for All Seasons, Robert Bolt depicts Cromwell as the calculating, opportunistic foil to Thomas More. Here in Mantel's version we see him in a different light - a man of great intelligence and implacability who amidst the carnage of Henry's medieval world, is absolutely loyal to his friends, relentless in destroying his enemies, and because of who the founding principles of our world first take recognizable form."He can draft a contract, train a falcon, draw a map, stop a street fight, furnish a house and fix a jury."

"This is a beautiful and profoundly humane book, a dark mirror held up to our own world."

The Guardian

Would that we had a work of fantasy or science fiction to match it.

Looks interesting. I'm biased to accept the MAN FOR ALL SEASONS version of Cromwell, but I'd like to read another viewpoint.

By the way - I've had a number of pm's from boardies I know well who missed the post in the Comicpalooza thread about my name change from alanna to Flex Mentallo!

I'd been hankering for a name change for some time and the new name emerged from my recent trip to Houston - suggested by Richard Evans, endorsed by Billy Parker. Kinda like being canonized by two Popes!

I just like the sheer ridiculousness of the character - it's just so me - ridiculous that is - (apart from the pecs!) Hmm, now if they could just transplant my brain into Billy's disgustingly fit bod whilst retaining his warped sense of humor, people'd be saying, "He really is Flex Mentallo!"

Edited by Flex Mentallo

By the way - I've had a number of pm's from boardies I know well who missed the post in the Comicpalooza thread about my name change from alanna to Flex Mentallo!

I'd been hankering for a name change for some time and the new name emerged from my recent trip to Houston - suggested by Richard Evans, endorsed by Billy Parker. Kinda like being canonized by two Popes!

I just like the sheer ridiculousness of the character - it's just so me - ridiculous that is - (apart from the pecs!) Hmm, now if they could just transplant my brain into Billy's disgustingly fit bod whilst retaining his warped sense of humor, people'd be saying, "He really is Flex Mentallo!"

(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)>>> smiley-bless.gifsmiley-bless.gif>>> [font:Times New Roman]I don't know about Rome, but in Texas that's called a double-header.[/font]

My favorite cartoonist is Michael Leunig. His best known works include The Adventures of Vasco Pyjama and the Curly Flats series. He was declared an Australian Living Treasure by the National Trust of Australia in 1999. Over the next few days I'll post a few of my favorite Leunig cartoons.

240ba5a3-fa83-4d7c-a084-9d562aa5abca_zpsc098fe68.jpg