• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,847 posts in this topic

The prices on that New Teen Titans 44 continue to wow me. Not even 2 years ago you could pick up slabbed 9.8 copies of that book for $50 or less. Really unless Nightwing ever makes it to the big screen I don't see what the big deal is with that book and why everyone feels the need to skyrocket it.

This book is essentially a mega key in the Batman mythos. Some day I will write up a lengthy post about how important this book is. It also isn't hurting it any that is the origin of Deathstroke. Finally the black cover does make it tougher than average to find in very high grade compared to many other CA books. (Only 50 or so new 9.8 have popped up on the census since it became a hot book mid 2013.)

And continues to climb.

Direct edition 9.8s are now $400 a pop

With no BINs available to hold the bidding back I would not be surprised to see the copies up now break $500.

Wizard: The Guide to Comics turns 25 in 2016, and anything Wizard Top Ten said was hot... was once hot.

(Even if it was mostly hype, those books were "wanted" for all the kids who didn't have them.)

How many hundreds of thousands of teens were eating up Wizard in the early 1990s like it was candy?

Before the internet... those monthly price guides WERE the market for kids.

Anything we couldn't afford was a "someday I'll have it" kind of book.

So, look at a bunch of the early Wizard Top Ten or Comic Watch lists... buy now... sell in 2 to 5 years.

(Ignore anything with a million copies printed... literally, one million is too many.) (:

Wizard%20Top%2010%20Comics%201992%20May%20Issue%2010.jpg

wizard6.jpg

That's what I've been doing with Valiant since 1997... I started the "rule of 25" in my head when the books were 6.

Call it my "get-rich-quick-overnight-nineteen-year-plan". lol

Not really. I'd have to sell to take advantage of the rule of 25. I'm something like 99% buy, 1% sell for 17 years in a row. :facepalm:

I wanted the books, found Ebay when I was in college. Started my nostalgia early.

But I have added some of the non-Valiant Wizard Top Ten books more recently... purely for nostalgia.

Vengeance of Bane, ASM 361, Man of Steel 18, etc.

I just lost on an auction for Moon Knight 55.

Why would I want that? Because after 20 years, I remember that I never had it.

:headbang:

I loved Wizard.

It always on the top of my stack, and I always flipped to the Hot 10 first thing.

It may have been all hype, but it worked on this kid...

lol, me too.

I credit it as one factor in becoming an entrepreneur at age 12.

I know most people hate or talk bad about Wizard but it was the thing I looked forward to most each month. With little or no internet and none of my friends collecting comics it was the only place I could find anything to do with comics. I'm in my 30's by the way haha

Edited by Apollo34

Wizard: The Guide to Comics turns 25 in 2016, and anything Wizard Top Ten said was hot... was once hot.

(Even if it was mostly hype, those books were "wanted" for all the kids who didn't have them.)

How many hundreds of thousands of teens were eating up Wizard in the early 1990s like it was candy?

Before the internet... those monthly price guides WERE the market for kids.

Anything we couldn't afford was a "someday I'll have it" kind of book.

So, look at a bunch of the early Wizard Top Ten or Comic Watch lists... buy now... sell in 2 to 5 years.

(Ignore anything with a million copies printed... literally, one million is too many.) (:

Wizard%20Top%2010%20Comics%201992%20May%20Issue%2010.jpg

wizard6.jpg

That's what I've been doing with Valiant since 1997... I started the "rule of 25" in my head when the books were 6.

Call it my "get-rich-quick-overnight-nineteen-year-plan". lol

Not really. I'd have to sell to take advantage of the rule of 25. I'm something like 99% buy, 1% sell for 17 years in a row. :facepalm:

I wanted the books, found Ebay when I was in college. Started my nostalgia early.

But I have added some of the non-Valiant Wizard Top Ten books more recently... purely for nostalgia.

Vengeance of Bane, ASM 361, Man of Steel 18, etc.

I just lost on an auction for Moon Knight 55.

Why would I want that? Because after 20 years, I remember that I never had it.

More please! Thanks for sharing the scan :)

The prices on that New Teen Titans 44 continue to wow me. Not even 2 years ago you could pick up slabbed 9.8 copies of that book for $50 or less. Really unless Nightwing ever makes it to the big screen I don't see what the big deal is with that book and why everyone feels the need to skyrocket it.

This book is essentially a mega key in the Batman mythos. Some day I will write up a lengthy post about how important this book is. It also isn't hurting it any that is the origin of Deathstroke. Finally the black cover does make it tougher than average to find in very high grade compared to many other CA books. (Only 50 or so new 9.8 have popped up on the census since it became a hot book mid 2013.)

And continues to climb.

With no BINs available to hold the bidding back I would not be surprised to see the copies up now break $500.

I Just won the last 9.8 on ebay The bidding stalled at $410

I have no clue what kind it is the barcode is cut off in the pic. All I know is it's a 9.8 WP copy and thats what I wanted. I paid more than I would have liked but its a book I can cross off my list

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tales-of-the-Teen-Titans-44-CGC-9-8-comic-wp-/281270196121?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item417d029799

Thats the only other 9.8 still has 3days and already at $400

Edited by oceanavekid

Still looking for a DC Comics Presents #47 in 9.8 1sp app of He-Man

Theres one on Ebay with a BIN $350 not sure I want to spend that much right now after buying the TOTTT #44

I also want a New Teen Titans #2 in 9.8 WP but only one on Ebay and theres no way i'm spending $800 on that book

If anyone wants to sell either book PM ME

Edited by oceanavekid

And continues to climb.

I have no clue what kind it is the barcode is cut off in the pic. All I know is it's a 9.8 WP copy and thats what I wanted. I paid more than I would have liked but its a book I can cross off my list

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tales-of-the-Teen-Titans-44-CGC-9-8-comic-wp-/281270196121?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item417d029799

You bought a normal direct edition. The newsstand and Canadian newsstand versions have a different price box than the direct version.

I'd like to personally thank you for continuing to drive up the price of this book

And continues to climb.

You bought a normal direct edition. The newsstand and Canadian newsstand versions have a different price box than the direct version.

I'd like to personally thank you for continuing to drive up the price of this book

I just wanted the book

Newsstand or direct doesn't matter to me

And continues to climb.

Congrats on the book. Always good for buyer decides to end an auction on a Saturday afternoon.

:gossip: Even though you paid more than you would of liked for the book, I have a feeling you will be very happy you paid what you did in a few months.

I thought Wizard was great as a teenager. When I grew up and went to some of their shows is when I realized the terrible effect they were having.

I stop buying them when I noticed they were publishing their own comics and slabbing/selling their books for a premium at shows. They had no research to back up their comics which did get addressed toward the end because I remember them qouting dealers the last year or two.

I am really not sure that any price guide can survive anymore in magazine format. Id like to know what the publication numbers on the yearly OS are. I would bet they have been down for the last few years.

Edited by Fastballspecial