• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,870 posts in this topic

I'm not down playing it. But in this particular instance, I think its a face-palmable notion. Sometimes books get popular, however, the first appearance of Livewire has been whispered and rumoured about long before Kevin's "prediction".

which I'm not trying to down play either, because I like when people bring up different ideas on this forum.

It doesn't warrant a facepalm. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Pick a book. Name drop it here and elsewhere, give a reason (it doesn't even have to be accurate or correct, see Action 894) why it warrants attention. Watch all the dollar and two dollar listings on eBay get purchased. A new listing with the book for 15 or 20 dollars or more appears. Some poor sap, or a friend of the seller, or the seller's shill account, buys the book. Now everyone looks at completed listings and they see what they want to see, the jump in price. And now you have a movement on an otherwise dead issue. This happens all the time. It doesn't always work of course, but it is common.

Superman Adventures 5 is doing inappropriate things right now. Good for you and whomever else that is making money on it, but I don't believe the interest in the book is genuine. The prices on that book are going to freefall. This is not Harley Quinn. And even if you do believe Livewire's potential is similar to Harley Quinn's you wouldn't be paying Harley Quinn prices before that potential is actually realized.

I tend to agree with the above.

All Kevin wants for someone to say he was right. Otherwise he will keep repeating this over and over and over. Someone oblige him.

Make a list Fastball, What do you predict what will take off in the future that could be found now in a dollar box?

Ive made all types in this thread. BTW check the person who started this thread it wasn't you.

The difference is I don't keep coming in to remind everyone that I picked such and such book. If it takes off great and if it doesn't oh well. I offer advice to boardies on here all the time. I just don't advertise or repeat myself and call it defending my opinion.

I hope the book continues to do well I already sold 2 copies and plan to grab a few more soon.

I am not saying anyone is right or wrong here. I can tell you my perspective. There is a local comic shop that I go to that has a warehouse. I hit it up when they run the 50% off sale and usually score big. - 6 months ago I was going through boxes and saw a long box labeled "Children's comics".....I quickly go through it and there was Superman Adventures 5. First time I had seen one in the wild and I looked at the sticker price. $20....I thought, "Every other book is a dollar....except this one".....At first I didn't know the reason behind it. I bought it because Kevin had mentioned it.

Two year ago Kevin told me to start buying Batman Adventures 12. I did. He mentioned the SA 5 and the Action 835 a year ago.....I've been buying them when I find them.....There are other examples and he's been right about certain books' potential.

I think people on here saying that a book is hot or heating up because one person on a message board is "pimping it' is giving way, way, way too much credit to one individual's opinion. People were saying this about Junkdrawer and his always hyping HQ and BA 12...Yet, I go to cons, big and small and see young girls and 20 somethings dressing as Harley, asking for HQ covers....

Clearly, there is more at work than just these boards...

I'm not down playing it. But in this particular instance, I think its a face-palmable notion. Sometimes books get popular, however, the first appearance of Livewire has been whispered and rumoured about long before Kevin's "prediction".

which I'm not trying to down play either, because I like when people bring up different ideas on this forum.

Pick a book. Name drop it here and elsewhere, give a reason (it doesn't even have to be accurate or correct, see Action 894) why it warrants attention. Watch all the dollar and two dollar listings on eBay get purchased. A new listing with the book for 15 or 20 dollars or more appears. Some poor sap, or a friend of the seller, or the seller's shill account, buys the book. Now everyone looks at completed listings and they see what they want to see, the jump in price. And now you have a movement on an otherwise dead issue. This happens all the time. It doesn't always work of course, but it is common.

Superman Adventures 5 is doing inappropriate things right now. Good for you and whomever else that is making money on it, but I don't believe the interest in the book is genuine. The prices on that book are going to freefall. This is not Harley Quinn. And even if you do believe Livewire's potential is similar to Harley Quinn's you wouldn't be paying Harley Quinn prices before that potential is actually realized.

All Kevin wants for someone to say he was right. Otherwise he will keep repeating this over and over and over. Someone oblige him.

I'm not looking for validation, I'm defending my opinion

No wonder Larry of Larry's Comics doesn't post his market report here anymore, people on the boards can't seem to handle it.

Stop your crying. You are looking for validation and have been for pages upon pages most are just tired of reading it I know I am.

You made a good pick. Great job. I would give you a pat on the back emote con if they had one.

most are just tired of reading it I know I am.

Good, I'll keep doing it then.

Make a list Fastball, What do you predict what will take off in the future that could be found now in a dollar box?

Ive made all types in this thread. BTW check the person who started this thread it wasn't you.

The difference is I don't keep coming in to remind everyone that I picked such and such book. If it takes off great and if it doesn't oh well. I offer advice to boardies on here all the time. I just don't advertise or repeat myself and call it defending my opinion.

I hope the book continues to do well I already sold 2 copies and plan to grab a few more soon.

My recently dead grandmother could have made this thread. Doesn't matter how many times I mention something, I'll say whatever I want, I made a small list then people said "Oh fixed that for you" and had it reedited to the way they think it should be. Then told me I was being silly with my predictions...that's what pissed me off, Couldn't care a less about the SA5, I only used that as an example.

I offer advice to boardies on here all the time.

Doesn't mean it's any good

You can find copies of Batman: Thrillkiller 1-3 and '62 in the dollar (or less) boxes at every con and show you go to. Collect all four books and you win.

Someone already mentioned Swamp Thing 67 in this thread, it went largely ignored, or didn't receive much of a written response at least, but that seems like a no-brainer and is worth a second mention. If the demand for Constantine bled over from ST 37 to Hellblazer 1, one would think at some point, between now and a year from now when the first season is concluding on NBC (fingers crossed), the preview of Hellblazer would see a demand as well.

Shifting gears over to modern but staying in the same realm, Justice League Dark #1 is the most under-valued book from the New 52 right now. At some point the movie hype is going to latch onto this book. Its a first issue, its the first appearance of the team (ignoring the unlabeled, loose affiliation that happened back in ST 49 and 50) and it has a leggy female!

I've always been big into the Elseworlds 80 Page Giant #1, that was recalled due to the baby in the microwave panel. Only one shipment made it to the UK before they were pulped.

I was really surprised to see a CGC 9.4 sold for $412 on April 21st and a raw VF 8.0 sold for $316 on April 30th. :o

I looked into it and the belief now is there are only 700 copies, as opposed to the old estimates of 1,500 to 2,000.

I'm delighted as I still have several minty fresh copies and threw this up for sale on the boards when I saw the recent prices.

Elseworlds1cgc98303_zps89827a7c.jpg

I made a small list then people said "Oh fixed that for you" and had it reedited to the way they think it should be. Then told me I was being silly with my predictions...that's what pissed me off

Remember when I suggested everyone watch out for Hellblazer 1 when it was selling for $120 or less slabbed in 9,8 and you dismissively responded with that it was "yesterday's news"?

It shouldn't surprise you that someone is going to criticize or ask questions about a book you mention if you fail to give a reason as to why that book is worth a discussion.

You can find copies of Batman: Thrillkiller 1-3 and '62 in the dollar (or less) boxes at every con and show you go to. Collect all four books and you win.

Someone already mentioned Swamp Thing 67 in this thread, it went largely ignored, or didn't receive much of a written response at least, but that seems like a no-brainer and is worth a second mention. If the demand for Constantine bled over from ST 37 to Hellblazer 1, one would think at some point, between now and a year from now when the first season is concluding on NBC (fingers crossed), the preview of Hellblazer would see a demand as well.

Shifting gears over to modern but staying in the same realm, Justice League Dark #1 is the most under-valued book from the New 52 right now. At some point the movie hype is going to latch onto this book. Its a first issue, its the first appearance of the team (ignoring the unlabeled, loose affiliation that happened back in ST 49 and 50) and it has a leggy female!

I did mentioned the swamp thing 67 but since I'm a troll it went respond less, I'll have to check out that JLA Dark 1. The Flash 1 (1987) should start to be sought after with the TV show coming. Wait...I'm trolling again, need to knock that off

I made a small list then people said "Oh fixed that for you" and had it reedited to the way they think it should be. Then told me I was being silly with my predictions...that's what pissed me off

Remember when I suggested everyone watch out for Hellblazer 1 when it was selling for $120 or less slabbed in 9,8 and you dismissively responded with that it was "yesterday's news"?

It shouldn't surprise you that someone is going to criticize or ask questions about a book you mention if you fail to give a reason as to why that book is worth a discussion.

1st Death in DC continuity freakin happy now???

Any copper book being sold for 120.00 in 9.8 is worth looking for, I already knew about that book before you mentioned it. That book was already heating up, more fuel got added to the fire from the tv show, which is why I mentioned swamp thing 67

Edited by Kevin76

1st Death in DC continuity freakin happy now???

that was Captain Atom 42

then go buy that one, better yet, buy both! Really isn't the point, point is that the 1st death in the DC universe will heat up, The 894 has the better cover though.

Here are some more of my predictions for the next 5 years!

Omega Men 3 (get'em while they are still cheap)

I didnt know if youre serious about these or not. I literally have a box full of 9.8 raws, probably 30-40. I picked em up for chump change so maybe I'll hold on to em for a bit instead of selling them now.

I think a lot of those books Kevin mentioned have a ceiling due to print runs. Batman 497 for example must have a gazillion copies...

Hulk 181 has a ceiling. Print runs don't really matter, but Batman getting his back broken? That's a key book. Yes I am serious about this list otherwise I wouldn't have posted it. It's also 90's nostalgia.

A lot of you guys have a hard time wrapping your head around high priced copper/early modern age books.

Print runs do matter. The fact is, it takes a lot for most people to go digging to find and sell theirs, and I would venture that most do not pay attention as closely as we do here. I have over 200 NM copies of Bats 497 and that is by accident. I could kill any kind of price increase for over a month if I decided to, and Im one person. Smart dealers are now holding onto their hoards tighter as well. Why would they flood the market and kill the value? You may see an increase in even the highest printed books, but that doesnt mean its justified. It means someone who doesnt have the book, doesnt care about saving $5 to find a comic store with a .50 or $1 bin.

Any book with a print run over 500k or so will have problems picking up steam. Yes there will be an exception here and there, but those exceptions will almost certainly be closer to the 400-600k print run area than the 700k+ runs.

Price is always affected by supply and demand ( a ceiling normally occurs when there is either enough supply to stablilze a price point or, the supply is limited enough the price climbs to a point where only a few can afford it) WD is a good example. Tiny print run, one of the most popular comics related properties ever. It should be worth more, but average people cannot afford it. The demand is lowered because even though MANY people want WD#1 they cannot afford it, so they cannot create the demand by purchasing it, even though they would if they could.

The problem with 80's and early 90's books getting hot is, while the massive supply is known, it is not readily availible. Long boxes are sitting in storage units and back of stores all over the country with hundreds of copies of some of these books. I am not saying a book with a 500K print run cannot increase in value, what im saying is a book with that type of print run can inflate in price due to artificially low supply, that WILL correct itself over time, and that timeframe could be a week or a year.

Understand that I am not talking about books like NM 98 that had Print runs closer to the 200k area. Also, please do not compare a bronze age mega key, with decades of interest behind it, to copper or moderns increases in value because of movie news. As ive said, we first must see what happens when the full supply is realized, that only happens when people have the incentive to go find them.

paging RMA. :)

Nope. This guy is impervious to reasonable discourse. Sorry.

Gen13 1 Deathmate Black ( Gold Variant )

This should fix this list.

This I can believe. DC comics are so f'in stupid for not pushing Gen 13 today. It was one of the hottest Image comics ever. I just don't understand why they keep pushing the same tired stale people from their Universe. This book could totally make a huge comeback. I will hold onto the 2 copies that I have. Gen13 reflected the times back then and I think could still be blended in today. I just have a hard time visualizing Gen13 standing next to some of the silly looking characters in the DC U.

DMG_zps3e105259.jpg

Yeah, I don't really understand the lack of love for Gen 13...it's at its 20th year, it's got Campbell art for crying out loud, and it was hotter then bug snot on a windshield in the desert back then.

Frankly, I don't understand why Danger Girl isn't uber hot, either. People pay silly money for MJ Campbell covers, but ignore the fact that there are lots of hot girl Campbell covers (DG #5 DF variant, for instance.)

Weird.

Omega Men 3 (get'em while they are still cheap)

I didnt know if youre serious about these or not. I literally have a box full of 9.8 raws, probably 30-40. I picked em up for chump change so maybe I'll hold on to em for a bit instead of selling them now.

I think a lot of those books Kevin mentioned have a ceiling due to print runs. Batman 497 for example must have a gazillion copies...

Hulk 181 has a ceiling. Print runs don't really matter, but Batman getting his back broken? That's a key book. Yes I am serious about this list otherwise I wouldn't have posted it. It's also 90's nostalgia.

A lot of you guys have a hard time wrapping your head around high priced copper/early modern age books.

Print runs do matter. The fact is, it takes a lot for most people to go digging to find and sell theirs, and I would venture that most do not pay attention as closely as we do here. I have over 200 NM copies of Bats 497 and that is by accident. I could kill any kind of price increase for over a month if I decided to, and Im one person. Smart dealers are now holding onto their hoards tighter as well. Why would they flood the market and kill the value? You may see an increase in even the highest printed books, but that doesnt mean its justified. It means someone who doesnt have the book, doesnt care about saving $5 to find a comic store with a .50 or $1 bin.

Any book with a print run over 500k or so will have problems picking up steam. Yes there will be an exception here and there, but those exceptions will almost certainly be closer to the 400-600k print run area than the 700k+ runs.

Price is always affected by supply and demand ( a ceiling normally occurs when there is either enough supply to stablilze a price point or, the supply is limited enough the price climbs to a point where only a few can afford it) WD is a good example. Tiny print run, one of the most popular comics related properties ever. It should be worth more, but average people cannot afford it. The demand is lowered because even though MANY people want WD#1 they cannot afford it, so they cannot create the demand by purchasing it, even though they would if they could.

The problem with 80's and early 90's books getting hot is, while the massive supply is known, it is not readily availible. Long boxes are sitting in storage units and back of stores all over the country with hundreds of copies of some of these books. I am not saying a book with a 500K print run cannot increase in value, what im saying is a book with that type of print run can inflate in price due to artificially low supply, that WILL correct itself over time, and that timeframe could be a week or a year.

Understand that I am not talking about books like NM 98 that had Print runs closer to the 200k area. Also, please do not compare a bronze age mega key, with decades of interest behind it, to copper or moderns increases in value because of movie news. As ive said, we first must see what happens when the full supply is realized, that only happens when people have the incentive to go find them.

paging RMA. :)

Nope. This guy is impervious to reasonable discourse. Sorry.

Gen13 1 Deathmate Black ( Gold Variant )

This should fix this list.

This I can believe. DC comics are so f'in stupid for not pushing Gen 13 today. It was one of the hottest Image comics ever. I just don't understand why they keep pushing the same tired stale people from their Universe. This book could totally make a huge comeback. I will hold onto the 2 copies that I have. Gen13 reflected the times back then and I think could still be blended in today. I just have a hard time visualizing Gen13 standing next to some of the silly looking characters in the DC U.

DMG_zps3e105259.jpg

Yeah, I don't really understand the lack of love for Gen 13...it's at its 20th year, it's got Campbell art for crying out loud, and it was hotter then bug snot on a windshield in the desert back then.

Frankly, I don't understand why Danger Girl isn't uber hot, either. People pay silly money for MJ Campbell covers, but ignore the fact that there are lots of hot girl Campbell covers (DG #5 DF variant, for instance.)

Weird.

Probably cause it's Spider-Man related. Hey if people wanna spend crazy amounts of money for drawn boobs by Campbell, let them..

This is the board equivalent of a rap battle. I imagine it like this:

"I was predictin' hot keys when you was in diapers

Yo mamma wipin' your booty with those little wet wipers"

"Yeah, well I actually did put my kids through school

By sellin' BA 12, I saw it comin' fool"

"I didn't mean to hurt yo' feelins but I though no credit was due

Your claims of spotin' SA 5 first just ain't true."

This is the board equivalent of a rap battle. I imagine it like this:

"I was predictin' hot keys when you was in diapers

Yo mamma wipin' your booty with those little wet wipers"

"Yeah, well I actually did put my kids through school

By sellin' BA 12, I saw it comin' fool"