• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,847 posts in this topic

Tales Of The Teen Titans 54 (Deathstroke Cover)

Lobo 1 Mini Series (Laugh all you want, if Lobo was to ever make a TV or Movie appearance, expect people to look for this.)

Been buying these for years. So welcome to the club.

I wasn't really talking specifically about this book, but hot copper books in general. I think that most of these books are being driven by pure speculation, ala the early 90s.

I wonder how many people on these boards have 50+ copies of books like X-factor 6?

I think another generation is going to learn how a speculative bubble turns out.

I disagree with selling this quickly. I hunted a long time and many comic stores, private collections etc....and it seems to be a tough book to find out in the wild. I bought a unread high grade run of Superman Adventures from someone who collected runs and this book was missing....I found a couple copies and one is going to CGC this week.

I think the more people realize how tough a book it can be to locate, prices will continue to rise. It was a title catered to "children" and these tend to be more difficult in high grade. - I've seen sales of $100 on this one already....

I think another generation is going to learn how a speculative bubble turns out.

That's the greatest concern during these speculation runs. Especially when you see an overabundance of each book available, and yet the prices keep climbing.

But I wouldn't blame the sellers on this. It is the buyers that keep coming back for more, and driving the prices up.

I don't blame anyone, I am just careful not to get caught in the hype. The 100s of dollars I lost in 90s comics saved me many 1000s during the dot com bubble.

I don't think most of these books are going to pure buyers though. I think that they are being sold mostly to other speculators, many of whom are buying way more than one copy.

An actual collector of these books is not going to get hurt too bad. If they buy an X-factor 6 for $40 on E-bay and it drops to $10, no big deal.

It's the guy who has accumulated a short box full of them that is going to be feeling the pain.

That's the greatest concern during these speculation runs. Especially when you see an overabundance of each book available, and yet the prices keep climbing.

But I wouldn't blame the sellers on this. It is the buyers that keep coming back for more, and driving the prices up.

Whoa whoa whoa. Are you telling me that a 7900% increase in two months for Superman Adventures #5 is the result of speculation?

I initially suspected this book was a pump and dump, pure speculation play. Then I found out the truth. At least three (yes, three!) cosplayers have dressed up as Livewire over the past five years. Oh, and Livewire recently made an explosive debut in the New 52; her silent one-panel appearance, in which she sits on a chair, has every DC fan talking!

Whoa whoa whoa. Are you telling me that a 7900% increase in two months for Superman Adventures #5 is the result of speculation?

I initially suspected this book was a pump and dump, pure speculation play. Then I found out the truth. At least three (yes, three!) cosplayers have dressed up as Livewire over the past five years. Oh, and Livewire recently made an explosive debut in the New 52; her silent one-panel appearance, in which she sits on a chair, has every DC fan talking!

One book speculation as a warning sign? No way.

All these books exploding that most times have no current reason for the explosion? You bet.

I don't blame anyone, I am just careful not to get caught in the hype. The 100s of dollars I lost in 90s comics saved me many 1000s during the dot com bubble.

I don't think most of these books are going to pure buyers though. I think that they are being sold mostly to other speculators, many of whom are buying way more than one copy.

An actual collector of these books is not going to get hurt too bad. If they buy an X-factor 6 for $40 on E-bay and it drops to $10, no big deal.

It's the guy who has accumulated a short box full of them that is going to be feeling the pain.

Well the speculators on eBay just cleared me out of my last three copies of X-Factor # 6 in CGC 9.8 this weekend, at $325, $325, and $350 respectively.

I need to go speculate some more.

One book speculation as a warning sign? No way.

All these books exploding that most times have no current reason for the explosion? You bet.

Superman Adventures #5 was a huge warning sign to me. All the cheap copies on eBay were purchased around the same time about two months ago. Let me guess: a speculator (or group of speculators) heard something in March about a New 52 Livewire appearance in May 2014 and bought every copy available on eBay. Surely the Livewire cosplayers who wanted to own a copy would not wait for a New 52 announcement, then all buy the book on eBay at the same time.

At least most of the other exploding books had a TV/movie announcement fueling the fire. As far as I can tell, Superman Adventures #5 increased in value by 7900% because of a single uneventful panel.

Well the speculators on eBay just cleared me out of my last three copies of X-Factor # 6 in CGC 9.8 this weekend, at $325, $325, and $350 respectively.

I need to go speculate some more.

X-Factor 6 may be overinflated right now due to the movie coming out in :facepalm:2 years but Apocalypse is a very popular villain who has been around for 30 years. It is not comparable to books like Superman Adventures 5.

But at least you seem to know that the smart move is to sell during a bubble.

Let speculators speculate, they are the ones buying this stuff. If you have a bunch of comics, you'll complain you can't sell them cause it's all junk, then when something out of nowhere sky rockets in price, you still complain that people are paying crazy prices for the stuff you have a lot of....that's what comic guys do...complain.

X-Factor 4 and most any early appearances of Apocalypse on the cover should do well.

Cloak And Dagger 1

Tales Of The Teen Titans 51, 52

Lobo 1 Mini Series (Laugh all you want, if Lobo was to ever make a TV or Movie appearance, expect people to look for this.)

Ok, That's enough :)

I just grabbed these three issues aside from the Lobo mini series today at a show. It was a buck, and I put it down! But I was already over my limit of what I was buying, and I had already cleaned up like a criminal! And I know the seller well, so I'm sure I can grab lots of semi copper keys from him including the Lobos. Would you grab issues 2-4 on the cheap as well? Same question for cloak and dagger....

Edited by spreads

Superman Adventures #5 was a huge warning sign to me. All the cheap copies on eBay were purchased around the same time about two months ago. Let me guess: a speculator (or group of speculators) heard something in March about a New 52 Livewire appearance in May 2014 and bought every copy available on eBay. Surely the Livewire cosplayers who wanted to own a copy would not wait for a New 52 announcement, then all buy the book on eBay at the same time.

At least most of the other exploding books had a TV/movie announcement fueling the fire. As far as I can tell, Superman Adventures #5 increased in value by 7900% because of a single uneventful panel.

The long-time, slow cooking books like Saga of the Swamp Thing 37 and X-Factor 6 had many years of buildup leading to the excitement that is now in place due to the TV and movie projects. I've been a fan of those characters throughout their introduction and buildup. Even Harley Quinn took a very long path to arrive at her destination. She's a great character, and like has been mentioned her tie-in with Joker helped establish such collectibility.

It's these books that feel like 1984-1989 and 1992-1994 all over again that you need to watch your investment. If you buy them for the excitement and fun of reading and collecting the character, then no matter what you won't mind having this in your collection. I feel this way about early Valiants, which go up and down depending on the latest rumor. I never mind having them because they are such great characters and stories.

Now the fast flippers probably have this figured out right, and move product so quickly as long as they make money I can't say they will get burned. It depends on your risk apetite with collectibles, and how much you have into the books.

Let speculators speculate, they are the ones buying this stuff. If you have a bunch of comics, you'll complain you can't sell them cause it's all junk, then when something out of nowhere sky rockets in price, you still complain that people are paying crazy prices for the stuff you have a lot of....that's what comic guys do...complain.

Because most of us saw what happened last time the speculators moved in and things got completely out of hand. I'm happy to sell my extra stuff as always, but what happens later?

Because most of us saw what happened last time the speculators moved in and things got completely out of hand. I'm happy to sell my extra stuff as always, but what happens later?

Who cares what happens later? I'm gonna ride this gravy train till it crashes!

X-Factor 4 and most any early appearances of Apocalypse on the cover should do well.

Cloak And Dagger 1

Tales Of The Teen Titans 51, 52

Ok, That's enough :)

I just grabbed these three issues aside from the Lobo mini series today at a show. It was a buck, and I put it down! But I was already over my limit of what I was buying, and I had already cleaned up like a criminal! And I know the seller well, so I'm sure I can grab lots of semi copper keys from him including the Lobos. Would you grab issues 2-4 on the cheap as well? Same question for cloak and dagger....

Sure, What are you risking, a $1?