• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,820 posts in this topic

It's nonsense because you say it is? Give us a legitimate reason why, Truth is, no one knows what is going to take off and what isn't. You can't say "No, that shouldn't be like that" or This is really good, this should take off"

The burden is on YOU to provide a reason for the heat on Superman Adventures 5. Convince me why that book is ACTUALLY suddenly worth more than a handful of dollar bills. I've asked you to do this several times and you couldn't come up with anything. I'm not going to chase a book simply because of a handful of eBay sales.

A comparison to Harley Quinn and a debut in the New 52 isn't going to cut it. You're comparing a character in Livewire, with a handful of appearances over two decades, to Harley Quinn - a character whose presence has invaded every facet of entertainment and merchandising, except for a live-action movie, and is arguably the most prominent Batman villain (along with Bane) since Ra's al Ghul in the early 70s. That comparison doesn't pass the smell test.

And again, this isn't an argument about how popular Livewire might become. Its questioning the current prices based on her current level of popularity. They don't match up. Look at comparable books and its impossible to dismiss. It makes zero sense for this book to have flirted with 100 dollars raw. This isn't speculation based on sound reasoning. Its dropping hints hoping someone takes a bite of your turd sandwich.

Comparing All-Star (who???), a one-off character who DC plans to recycle and re-use to fill a void in the New 52, to Harley Quinn is laughable.

Is it a bad idea to grab a copy of Justice League Adventures 13 for cover price or less? No, and these tips are always appreciated by the board. But to suggest this book is going to start doing some crazy things and cite Harley Quinn as a comparable is irresponsible nonsense.

Edited by darkstar

That's the beauty of why this comic is the perfect storm, she's coming to New 52 this year, and as long as it is also not a single issue, this will be the must have book if the character is incorporated into a team. DC is taking the reigns with female heroes & villains and it is paying off.

I can't tell if this post is supposed to be serious or a joke.

Every book that can be found in the $1 bins listed here is a total joke until proven otherwise.

No. Every book mentioned here without a single legitimate reason given for a potential increase in demand is a joke until proven otherwise.

It was bad enough when people were comparing Livewire to Harley. Now you have someone comparing All-Star to Livewire AND Harley? This isn't sound reasoning, its nonsense.

A character's debut in the new 52 is all it takes for a copper or modern 1st appearance issue to fetch 50, 75, 100 dollars on Ebay now? Get real. This is modern speculation pump and dump migrating into copper books.

Batwing has his own series ffs, nobody cares about his first appearance.

Spoiler made her debut in the new 52 months ago, a character with an actual following that demanded her return no less, and Tec 647 hasn't done much of anything.

It's nonsense because you say it is? Give us a legitimate reason why, Truth is, no one knows what is going to take off and what isn't. You can't say "No, that shouldn't be like that" or This is really good, this should take off" Look at reality TV..Its the worst television the world has ever seen, but people are addicted to garbage

He gave you a legitimate reason. The only thing Livewire has done in the past two years is appear on a single panel in Justice League #30. Nobody, outside of a few cosplayers and some dedicated Superman: The Animated Series fans, cared about Livewire in February 2014. As far as I can tell, people only care now because they want to make money flipping Superman Adventures #5.

All Justice League Adventures 13 FS on ebay are now sold.

So who is All Star and why should I care?

Step 1: Mention obscure book on message board and make spurious claim about its significance

Step 2: Buy all copies on eBay

Step 3: Wait for MERCENAUT to hype the book on YouTube

Step 4: ???

Step 5: Have absurd sales mentioned in this thread

Step 6: Profit!!!

There is a general understanding, that there is a huge difference between a character's first appearance, and the first time the image of a character appears in print, right?

I mean, for 99.9% of us at least?

99.999999999% - All of us except MrWeen and the guy who just listed SA #4 on eBay for $99. :insane:

I mean... it's a bit ridiculous, right?

I am all for collector weirdness. If I want to collect all things Thanos, SURE I want to pick up that issue of Marvel Age, why not? I see no problem with simply pointing out weird/oddball stuff like that.

Just don't try to point to, a non story, "first time the image of a character sees print" and try to call it a "first appearance". Just pointing to the literal definition of the word "first", and the word "appearance", does not an argument make.

This hobby, which is built on people reading stories, is mostly interested in characters that appear, in stories. This is what a "first appearance" means, in comic collecting.

There is nothing wrong with collecting the first time the image of a character appears in print. Nothing at all. If it floats your boat, buy every Malibu Sun 13 that your heart desires. Just understand what you are talking about.

The first time the image of a character appears in print. NOT the first appearance of the character.

Though I would never use a Thanos appearance in Marvel Age as an example when discussing oddball collectibles I can assure you that I understand what I am talking about. Go take a look at the Overstreet definition or a litany of other definitions. I have yet to see one that lists the need to be part of the story as a first appearance requirement. In fact Overstreet defines a first appearance as: Same as debut. And they define debut as the first time a character appears anywhere. Yea you read that right...anywhere.

By the way it looks like the market has already spoken about Malibu 13, it regularly sells for significantly more than Spawn 1. For those who type the word market in response to my plea for historical accuracy then what say you concerning a book like Malibu 13? The point is you can't have it both ways.

Hey bud I collect weirdness too!

IMG_3182_zpsfc4eb972.jpg

I don't know what you all drink when reading Matt Kindt comics but I go with banned Lokos.

IMG_3185_zpse93081ae.jpg

1. No one cares what an Overstreet definition, or what the myriad of dictionaries say about those words. Period.

There are first appearances, and there is the first time an image of a character appears in print. Feel free to chase the latter, you are wrong if you believe otherwise.

You will continue believing what you believe, and everyone will keep telling you you are wrong. THE END.

2. I find it funny that you bring up that the "Market" has spoken regarding Malibu Sun 13. If I may quote you... "Market prices do not concern me in this matter".

FYI...it doesn't command a premium, because it's the "true first appearance" of Spawn. The only reason it commands a premium, is because the number of Spawn #1's out there, DWARF the number of Malibu Sun 13's. (probably because people don't usually hold onto advertisements) If the Malibu Sun 13 had even close to the numbers of Spawn 1 in the market, everyone would rightfully ignore MS13.

For the record, I do consider collecting an advertisement which was made to promote a collectible, a bit oddball...but that's ok. ;)

Personally market prices do not concern me as it relates to facts about comics for reasons previously given. I used the market prices of an appearance of Spawn that predates Spawn 1 and does not feature a narrative to prove a point. If Malibu 13 came out after Spawn 1 no one would care. Let me make this clear-I do not care about what people pay for a comic when discussing the reasons for its place in comic history. Price paid is not a valid barometer for determining when a creation first appears in a printed comic. I love your passion bud and appreciate your attempts to argue but I think there's fair amount of folks out there who do care about what a publication like Overstreet has said about the matter. And even if they don't I suspect there are no other definitions of first appearance that include a need for the character and a story to be interwoven. As least I provide examples instead of only hollow ramblings. I am glad you dig Thanos though. I cannot wait for him to finally take over cinemas across the globe.

Edited by MrWeen

Seriously, didn't even pull this title out of the longboxes, never mind #13. lol

At first I was skeptical but Justice League 13 could be this weekend's hot comic. I forgot all about New Guardians 2. It seems do do well and I can't remember that cocaine villain appearing anywhere else.

Found him....

tumblr_n09m6epupz1tqsvo0o1_500.gif

There is a general understanding, that there is a huge difference between a character's first appearance, and the first time the image of a character appears in print, right?

99.999999999% - All of us except MrWeen and the guy who just listed SA #4 on eBay for $99. :insane:

I like MrWeen's thinking... mainly because if Action Comics #12 ever catches on as "Batman's first appearance", I can retire early. :banana:

action12ad.jpg

I like MrWeen's thinking... mainly because if Action Comics #12 ever catches on as "Batman's first appearance", I can retire early. :banana:

action12ad.jpg

Looks like a sharp copy. :luhv:

It's nonsense because you say it is? Give us a legitimate reason why, Truth is, no one knows what is going to take off and what isn't. You can't say "No, that shouldn't be like that" or This is really good, this should take off"

The burden is on YOU to provide a reason for the heat on Superman Adventures 5. Convince me why that book is ACTUALLY suddenly worth more than a handful of dollar bills. I've asked you to do this several times and you couldn't come up with anything. I'm not going to chase a book simply because of a handful of eBay sales.

A comparison to Harley Quinn and a debut in the New 52 isn't going to cut it. You're comparing a character in Livewire, with a handful of appearances over two decades, to Harley Quinn - a character whose presence has invaded every facet of entertainment and merchandising, except for a live-action movie, and is arguably the most prominent Batman villain (along with Bane) since Ra's al Ghul in the early 70s. That comparison doesn't pass the smell test.

And again, this isn't an argument about how popular Livewire might become. Its questioning the current prices based on her current level of popularity. They don't match up. Look at comparable books and its impossible to dismiss. It makes zero sense for this book to have flirted with 100 dollars raw. This isn't speculation based on sound reasoning. Its dropping hints hoping someone takes a bite of your turd sandwich.

Comparing All-Star (who???), a one-off character who DC plans to recycle and re-use to fill a void in the New 52, to Harley Quinn is laughable.

Is it a bad idea to grab a copy of Justice League Adventures 13 for cover price or less? No, and these tips are always appreciated by the board. But to suggest this book is going to start doing some crazy things and cite Harley Quinn as a comparable is irresponsible nonsense.

I don't ask why, I just look for books that are selling well then pick them up at shows and such for $2 a piece...I couldn't careless about Livewire, or Harley Quinn or All-Star whoever she is...I just want to make money like the rest of us here, couldn't careless what is between the 2 covers, I'm past that.

I am all for collector weirdness. If I want to collect all things Thanos, SURE I want to pick up that issue of Marvel Age, why not? I see no problem with simply pointing out weird/oddball stuff like that.

Just don't try to point to, a non story, "first time the image of a character sees print" and try to call it a "first appearance". Just pointing to the literal definition of the word "first", and the word "appearance", does not an argument make.

This hobby, which is built on people reading stories, is mostly interested in characters that appear, in stories. This is what a "first appearance" means, in comic collecting.

There is nothing wrong with collecting the first time the image of a character appears in print. Nothing at all. If it floats your boat, buy every Malibu Sun 13 that your heart desires. Just understand what you are talking about.

The first time the image of a character appears in print. NOT the first appearance of the character.

Though I would never use a Thanos appearance in Marvel Age as an example when discussing oddball collectibles I can assure you that I understand what I am talking about. Go take a look at the Overstreet definition or a litany of other definitions. I have yet to see one that lists the need to be part of the story as a first appearance requirement. In fact Overstreet defines a first appearance as: Same as debut. And they define debut as the first time a character appears anywhere. Yea you read that right...anywhere.

By the way it looks like the market has already spoken about Malibu 13, it regularly sells for significantly more than Spawn 1. For those who type the word market in response to my plea for historical accuracy then what say you concerning a book like Malibu 13? The point is you can't have it both ways.

IMG_3182_zpsfc4eb972.jpg

I don't know what you all drink when reading Matt Kindt comics but I go with banned Lokos.

IMG_3185_zpse93081ae.jpg

1. No one cares what an Overstreet definition, or what the myriad of dictionaries say about those words. Period.

There are first appearances, and there is the first time an image of a character appears in print. Feel free to chase the latter, you are wrong if you believe otherwise.

You will continue believing what you believe, and everyone will keep telling you you are wrong. THE END.

2. I find it funny that you bring up that the "Market" has spoken regarding Malibu Sun 13. If I may quote you... "Market prices do not concern me in this matter".

FYI...it doesn't command a premium, because it's the "true first appearance" of Spawn. The only reason it commands a premium, is because the number of Spawn #1's out there, DWARF the number of Malibu Sun 13's. (probably because people don't usually hold onto advertisements) If the Malibu Sun 13 had even close to the numbers of Spawn 1 in the market, everyone would rightfully ignore MS13.

For the record, I do consider collecting an advertisement which was made to promote a collectible, a bit oddball...but that's ok. ;)

Personally market prices do not concern me as it relates to facts about comics for reasons previously given. I used the market prices of an appearance of Spawn that predates Spawn 1 and does not feature a narrative to prove a point. If Malibu 13 came out after Spawn 1 no one would care. Let me make this clear-I do not care about what people pay for a comic when discussing the reasons for its place in comic history. Price paid is not a valid barometer for determining when a creation first appears in a printed comic. I love your passion bud and appreciate your attempts to argue but I think there's fair amount of folks out there who do care about what a publication like Overstreet has said about the matter. And even if they don't I suspect there are no other definitions of first appearance that include a need for the character and a story to be interwoven. As least I provide examples instead of only hollow ramblings. I am glad you dig Thanos though. I cannot wait for him to finally take over cinemas across the globe.

Drinking the 4 loco while you read up on the first appearence of Hitler? hm

Am I the only one who doesn't want this thread to become what's GOING to be hot?

I am prepared for the backlash.

I+don+t+get+FJ.+Jack+_a91fda719554505a964067881db9a0d1.jpeg

That's why I said earlier that every book from the $1 bins is laughable until proven otherwise. Just about every book from the copper age has a big print run anyway.

Let me be clear. You have no idea what you are talking about. Why don't you go and try this in the Golden Age, Silver Age and Bronze Age thread and see how far you go. Trust me you won't go very far.

What part don't you understand that your view on first appearances is utter nonsense, No one has taken you seriously in months. To be honest, you are just wasting your time even posting on the boards. Take some time off, re-evaluate your stance on first appearances and come back when your views change or you are willing to listen.

Has any other comic book published between 1980-2000 experienced an 8900% (or is it higher now?) increase in value in a little over two months?

I think darkstar is spot on; this appears to be pump and dumping.

They ALL start like this. I sold my 9.6 IH #181 at an 8900% increase in price. (And I think your math is way off btw).

Seriously, didn't even pull this title out of the longboxes, never mind #13. lol

At first I was skeptical but Justice League 13 could be this weekend's hot comic. I forgot all about New Guardians 2. It seems do do well and I can't remember that cocaine villain appearing anywhere else.

Snowflame does cocaine to get his power. Are we really confused why that issue became sought after? All Star, well I don't know what she does but I would guess she is good at some sport.

Let me be clear. You have no idea what you are talking about. Why don't you go and try this in the Golden Age, Silver Age and Bronze Age thread and see how far you go. Trust me you won't go very far.

What part don't you understand that your view on first appearances is utter nonsense, No one has taken you seriously in months. To be honest, you are just wasting your time even posting on the boards. Take some time off, re-evaluate your stance on first appearances and come back when your views change or you are willing to listen.

So says the Juggernaut. :sumo: And he is most often spot on! :applause: