• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,847 posts in this topic

Right now there is great $$$ to be made from CA books since you can snag collections for so cheap. I am curious to see how things end, but this reminds me a lot of the action on BA books from 2003 - 2005 (maybe starting a bit earlier).

Snagging collections "for cheap" depends entirely on where you are. Maybe in Canada, but here in SoCal, it's simply not possible.

So true, up here I can throw a dead cat and hit high grade collections all day long. I was in California this summer and traveled up and down the coast and there was nothing but garbage to pick at. Mind you, my trip wasn't about finding comics, it was to relax so maybe there is stuff out there but the shops carried rags for back issues and everything was priced the highest I've ever seen.

Right now there is great $$$ to be made from CA books since you can snag collections for so cheap. I am curious to see how things end, but this reminds me a lot of the action on BA books from 2003 - 2005 (maybe starting a bit earlier).

Snagging collections "for cheap" depends entirely on where you are. Maybe in Canada, but here in SoCal, it's simply not possible.

So true, up here I can throw a dead cat and hit high grade collections all day long. I was in California this summer and traveled up and down the coast and there was nothing but garbage to pick at. Mind you, my trip wasn't about finding comics, it was to relax so maybe there is stuff out there but the shops carried rags for back issues and everything was priced the highest I've ever seen.

so then why do these books sell for such a fat premium in canada (according to the convention reports here) if they can be found in bulk in every other igloo in the tundra?

of course, the frozen lonely nature of igloo life would work well with voracious comic collecting, so, per capita, there may be more collectors up there. probably why there are a fair number up here in the northeast because we have a solid 4-5 months to hide in our homes too. i just don't see how a kid from florida or CA would ever get attracted to it with the lure of the outdoors and sun unless you are allergic to the sun. there are only so many days a year you have to hide in your hurricane (or earthquake) shelter reading comics.

Incredible Hulk #449 CGC 9.8 @ $61 & 37 watchers with 5 days to go! :o 1st Thunderbolts are now hot? :facepalm:

hmm, the seller got bids for $161 for the same slab previously, but re-listed.

but those sorts of prices seem par for the course for 9.8 of a book that is getting a solid $15-$25 for nice raw copies that don't even claim to be 9.8s.

I'll have to start using the dead cat method because the dealers own my territory (Oshawa to Ottawa). I bought one copper/modern collection this year at 30 (THIRTY!) cents a book, and they were mostly mid-grade. :(

so then why do these books sell for such a fat premium in canada (according to the convention reports here) if they can be found in bulk in every other igloo in the tundra?

of course, the frozen lonely nature of igloo life would work well with voracious comic collecting, so, per capita, there may be more collectors up there. probably why there are a fair number up here in the northeast because we have a solid 4-5 months to hide in our homes too. i just don't see how a kid from florida or CA would ever get attracted to it with the lure of the outdoors and sun unless you are allergic to the sun. there are only so many days a year you have to hide in your hurricane (or earthquake) shelter reading comics.

I think what you're probably seeing, in regards to fat premiums, are the lottery win stories. A great part of this hobby, and society in general, is that most the people are lazy and willing to simply pay up instead of working to find the material.

For instance, I just sold a book on eBay today for $250.00 USD + shipping that I literally paid 7¢ and grading fees, and I still have another 8 copies to slowly sell off.

The canadian dealers that stay in business are the ones that travel to the US.

I am tired of seeing the same guys at shows with the same picked over garbage that they've bought off of other dealers - which is largely the format of these new Toronto One day shows.

Buying collections is not about geography, its about the people you know and the connections you make. Especially if they are romantic connections.

Interesting. We are fortunate here then with Copper and older collections. They pop up on a regular basis. For example, last night I picked up 700 or so book that included a NMish run of Sandman #1-75, a nice run of Swamp Thing #37 - 171, and New Teen Titans/Tales of #1-59 plus a bunch of other nice books (e.g. Transformers #1, 3, 4; Power Man & Iron Fist #56 up, Avengers #190 - 230, some Tecs, GLs, Spideys, etc.)

Interesting. We are fortunate here then with Copper and older collections. They pop up on a regular basis. For example, last night I picked up 700 or so book that included a NMish run of Sandman #1-75, a nice run of Swamp Thing #37 - 171, and New Teen Titans/Tales of #1-59 plus a bunch of other nice books (e.g. Transformers #1, 3, 4; Power Man & Iron Fist #56 up, Avengers #190 - 230, some Tecs, GLs, Spideys, etc.)

You and I live parallel lives.

I can't even get the material to CGC fast enough. For me, it's simply based

on not having enough time to process the books and have them ready for submission.

If you don't mind my asking, did you acquire these books through the people you know and the connections you made?

The canadian dealers that stay in business are the ones that travel to the US.

I am tired of seeing the same guys at shows with the same picked over garbage that they've bought off of other dealers - which is largely the format of these new Toronto One day shows.

Buying collections is not about geography, its about the people you know and the connections you make. Especially if they are romantic connections.

You need to get out of Ontario and hit the CalgaryExpo or EdmontonExpo for quality books. :baiting:

That being said, I have had good luck picking up books via garage sales, craigslist, and connections for the past 15 or so years I have been selling as well as collecting. There are plenty of books to be found if you are patient. If I had a store/more storage space I would pick up more than just 2 or 3 per year.

If you don't mind my asking, did you acquire these books through the people you know and the connections you made?

Someone that dropped by my table at a one day show earlier this year that I followed up with a couple of weeks ago. I came across his email to me while cleaning out my inbox - I had passed on his collection in late July to pick up a 6500+ book collection instead (craigslist find).

Higher disposable income + younger population = a great market for comics up here. We are also seeing a good upswing in young female collectors here as well which opens up another part of the market.

on not having enough time to process the books and have them ready for submission.

There are quite a few of us in town that are actively buying and selling collections. I can tell the health of the market here in Edmonton based on the number of keys/collections that stores are buying and selling as well - even the small ones have picked up and moved one or two nice collections over the past 18 months. My file LCS just landed a nice HG late SA/BA/CA collection that yielded a nice stack of CGC 9.4 - 9.8 late SA through mid BA books (including a 9.6 IM #55, 9.8 Dr. Strange #1, 9.4 Ghost Rider #1, some 9.8 ASMs, etc.).

Higher disposable income + younger population = a great market for comics up here. We are also seeing a good upswing in young female collectors here as well which opens up another part of the market.

I get the income part...frigging $3.60 gasoline...grumble grumble, but if the supply is so plentiful ought there be an impact on prices attained?

As for younger population, canada is a little older per capita than the u.s. about 40 vs. 38 or so. what i suspect is that the younger working age people in canada might be getting a better deal in terms of wages and benefiting from the economy than the typical 30 year old here who is paying off student loans and paying for the enjoyable retirements of baby boomers and 15% tax rates of hedge fund managers. (no offense to boomer members on the board.) it was so awesome buying my house in 2006 for 12X what the boomers I bought it from paid for it in 1977 and they got to clear $500K in cap gains tax free in the process as well!

There are quite a few of us in town that are actively buying and selling collections. I can tell the health of the market here in Edmonton based on the number of keys/collections that stores are buying and selling as well - even the small ones have picked up and moved one or two nice collections over the past 18 months. My file LCS just landed a nice HG late SA/BA/CA collection that yielded a nice stack of CGC 9.4 - 9.8 late SA through mid BA books (including a 9.6 IM #55, 9.8 Dr. Strange #1, 9.4 Ghost Rider #1, some 9.8 ASMs, etc.).

That's fantastic! There truly is no shortage if you're patient.

I turn down collections quite often and look for inefficiencies in the market.

I get the income part...frigging $3.60 gasoline...grumble grumble, but if the supply is so plentiful ought there be an impact on prices attained?

As for younger population, canada is a little older per capita than the u.s. about 40 vs. 38 or so. what i suspect is that the younger working age people in canada might be getting a better deal in terms of wages and benefiting from the economy than the typical 30 year old here who is paying off student loans and paying for the enjoyable retirements of baby boomers and 15% tax rates of hedge fund managers. (no offense to boomer members on the board.) it was so awesome buying my house in 2006 for 12X what the boomers I bought it from paid for it in 1977 and they got to clear $500K in cap gains tax free in the process as well!

Eh, that's partially true. Canada doesn't have quite the same disparity between high-low incomes, but the generational gap in wealth is still there.

Anyways, I'm not a dealer, so I don't know how much easier it is to acquire collections, but I've found some good deals just from scouring the internet. And a lot of the deals have been had by scouring deals on collections that were, at first, outrageously overpriced. There's still and always will be a ton of out there...

yeah tell me about it. I have clients that bought properties for 10k, 20k, etc in the early 70s that are now worth a mil, 1.2, 1.4... the rate of increase has been nuts.