• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

If Gambit had been on the cover, even in the background, it would be no question.

But he's definitely there, in the story, multiple panels.

Add X-Factor 24 to this list.

seriously, just read x factor 23 again last night, and archangel is in more than one panel, he does stuff, and he talks. You see most if not all of his body. I think it the most aggressive use of the "If the 1st app has him on one page only and the second app has him in the story and the cover then its the real 1st appearance rule."

Yup. ( I meant 23 by the way! ) I always felt that the mistake here revolves around the iconic cover of 24. Yes it's a great cover but it's not the first appearance of the character.

If Gambit had been on the cover, even in the background, it would be no question.

UXM Annual 14 is one of the few that I will fight against. It was released by the distributors as an accident too early, and the story in Annual 14 even takes place after UXM 266.

I think the market got that one right, IOW. But, that's my opinion.

(:

Do you have any proof of the "released by the distributors as an accident"?

I'm not suggesting it's not true, but you are the only one I have heard this from, and I bought all of these books brand new (DOFP, included.)

None I can prove to others, but I was managing a newsstand at the time and I heard from my higher-ups in the company that UXM Annual 14 was released two weeks too early and if we wanted, we could pull them from the shelves.

-slym

"Do you have any proof of the "released by the distributors as an accident"?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OT, What is less adversarial/accusatory sounding, asking for "evidence" or "proof"? Or does it sound the same to the folks here?

Just curious.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OT, What is less adversarial/accusatory sounding, asking for "evidence" or "proof"? Or does it sound the same to the folks here?

Just curious.

Sounds the same to me.

UXM Annual 14 is one of the few that I will fight against. It was released by the distributors as an accident too early, and the story in Annual 14 even takes place after UXM 266.

(:

I'm not suggesting it's not true, but you are the only one I have heard this from, and I bought all of these books brand new (DOFP, included.)

None I can prove to others, but I was managing a newsstand at the time and I heard from my higher-ups in the company that UXM Annual 14 was released two weeks too early and if we wanted, we could pull them from the shelves.

-slym

I've never heard of such a thing. That would require a breakdown in the Marvel circulation and editorial process of significant proportions. Books can be LATE all the time...but early..? It would require a misstep in a process which involves multiple people and offices.

Just curious.

It's only adversarial/accusatory if you're defensive by nature.

People ask me for proof and/or evidence of the things I say all the time, and I don't look at it as being (necessarily) adversarial/accusatory, without further contextual evidence.

(:

-slym

Ask Gary. He would know......

Fyi, Darkhawk 1, the FIRST APP of Darkhawk, recently sold for 4 bills on the Bay. Sweet.

I LOVE FIRST APPS :banana:

(:

I've never heard of such a thing. That would require a breakdown in the Marvel circulation and editorial process of significant proportions. Books can be LATE all the time...but early..? It would require a misstep in a process which involves multiple people and offices.

Hot Topic Star Wars #1 variant...

:whistle::):jokealert:

I am only relating what I heard, and this was at the time they were released. I am guessing annuals might be a bit different than monthly issues.

BTW - I didn't find anything accusatory about your questioning of my statement.

;)

-slym

Because there is money involved we must assume that people will push their own agendas to make more money.

Should I regard all of your posts in that light, too?

Have we become so cynical that we must assume that everybody always has an agenda, all the time?

hm

Yes Yes. i have an agenda too, creating a universally accepted definition of first appearance.

There already is one.

First appearance: the first time a character appears in a comic book story. Done.

Well done! :applause:

That's that! Now we can move on to other matters.

seriously, just read x factor 23 again last night, and archangel is in more than one panel, he does stuff, and he talks. You see most if not all of his body. I think it the most aggressive use of the "If the 1st app has him on one page only and the second app has him in the story and the cover then its the real 1st appearance rule."

Yeah, that's another example of a pretty significant 'cameo'.

OK I am not asking this because I believe it but does anyone know if this edition has the same Spawn ad as the regular edition. And if you don't believe the hype on this one try and find it. The web has dried up.

Even if it predates Malibu Sun 13 it still doesn't predate an earlier mini that is likely the first appearance of Spawn.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=430181

How is his appearance in 23 a cameo based on what the board member describes about the issue?

How is his appearance in 23 a cameo based on what the board member describes about the issue?

I think most people who've read the issue don't think its a cameo. But its also not an equivalent discussion across every other 'similar but not quite as serious' circumstance of first appearances.

hm

I think it would be an uphill battle convincing casual readers that Ann. 14 is a first appearance when we see in this panel Storm (who was a 'reverted pre-teen' in issue 266) is now an adult and telling the events of issues 265 - 267. It appears that the events of annual 14 came after the events of UXM 265-267.... So (since UXM was biweekly at this time) Annual 14 came out a month early?

I noticed that too. You could, however, make the argument that by referencing the 3 issues it does not necessarily mean they pre-dated the annual. If the annual did hit the shelves prior to 266 the panel I posted would serve as evidence that Gambit does indeed appear. Whether it's a full or cameo appearance is another story.

I noticed that too. You could, however, make the argument that by referencing the 3 issues it does not necessarily mean they pre-dated the annual. If the annual did hit the shelves prior to 266 the panel I posted would serve as evidence that Gambit does indeed appear. Whether it's a full or cameo appearance is another story.

I think most people accept that XMA14 hit shelves before XM266, mostly because it did.

Whether it should have or not I believe is moot. It didn't. Whether the difference is a day, a week, or a year, XMA14 was sold first.

But yes, the debate about whether XMA14 is a cameo and what 'cameo' really means is the crux of the matter. I would say that XMA14 is a cameo.