• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,847 posts in this topic

So if a character is on the cover of a comic book, but not inside at all, could that still be considered a first appearance?

I would consider that a 1st appearance, but you are going to receive all kinds of votes on this.

I consider covers as part of the story myself. I saw earlier where somebody said "covers don't count". Just want to see what others think.

and the first appearance of Darkseid is?

Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen 134 is the first appearance of Darkseid, no matter how lame that appearance is. Forever People 1 is the first full appearance of Darkseid.

I'm not sure what relevance this has to your stance. Is there an ad or preview we should know about?

So if a character is on the cover of a comic book, but not inside at all, could that still be considered a first appearance?

Yes, if its a comic book (rather than promotional material.)

Oh. My. God.

Guess I'll check back in this thread in a couple of days when the dong swinging is over.

meh

Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen 134 is the first appearance of Darkseid, no matter how lame that appearance is. Forever People 1 is the first full appearance of Darkseid.

I'm not sure what relevance this has to your stance. Is there an ad or preview we should know about?

Well, now that you mention it.........

:whistle:

I've sold Malibu Sun 13s and Superman Adventure 4s but I ALWAYS mention it's a PREVIEW appearance because...well, it is! There is a difference.

the ONLY reason to be on Ween's side is to make money on weird books that other people aren't. Call that cynical but what real reason would there be to collect issues of Previews unless you're a total completionist? That's fine if you do! I'm not on the "what I buy is better than you" train but to try and say WE are wrong is pretty ridiculous.

And everyone knows Darkseid's 1st app is JO 134. Whether that's his *market recognized* 1st app. is another story all together that is soooooo irrelevant to the topic of whether or not ads or previews can be 1sts.

I think the more damning question would be whether or not YOU think Detective 27 is Batman's 1st app. or not. hm

ASM 299, a Copper Age book coincidentally, has the largest cameo I've seen to date (Venom) that is not considered a full appearance. Based on my research, in order for an appearance to be considered a full appearance it must:

A.) Occur over the course of more than one page of the story or 1 page + cover.

B.) Include the name of the character in question.

C.) The character must play a role in the story as opposed to serving as a teaser for an upcoming issue.

By these standards OPG/CGC is right 99%+ of the time, but there are extreme outliers on both sides of the argument. There are books that are considered full appearances that are not and books that would qualify as full appearances that have not yet been recognized.

I would consider that a 1st appearance, but you are going to receive all kinds of votes on this.

I'd lean to yes as well, but, sooner or later, there'll be an example to make us gnash our teeth. I'm envisioning a throw away background image like the Spider-Gwen cosplayers in Ms Marvel 14. lol

The market 'votes' in strange ways. JO is valued as a full first; XMen Ann 14 as a cameo.

Oh. My. God.

Guess I'll check back in this thread in a couple of days when the dong swinging is over.

meh

Yup.

As worthless as a discussion may be to some folks, comments like that are worth less than nothing.

Like I said to the doofus who wanted to control the parameters of the thread, feel free to contribute something of worth.

JO 134 is a tough book in grade. Aside from 134/135 there isn't much in that run whatsoever. 350+/- graded copies isn't many for a BA book either. It will probably always command the highest price among Darkseid appearances. That said, if you want to see him in his entirety for the first time that does not occur until FP 1.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. It's a supply side skew that plays a role in MOS 17/18 as well.

There are so many variables. It makes it pretty much impossible to develop a formulaic approach to these things.

If someone collects a PREVIEWS because their favorite character first appeared in an ad there.. I can understand that.

To pay $50 for it, I would find bizarre.

To think it's a 'first appearance' in a collectors sense, is just strange.

To market it that way is just dishonest.

Liars, cheats, and con men will always try to distort perceptions to make a buck.

It's why there's so many copies of 90's drek sitting in long boxes in storage areas.

Deceitful like if someone listed a book and called it the first appearance the black costume, when it was only the first appearance of the black costume in the character's third-tier title series? Anything for a buck.

If someone collects a PREVIEWS because their favorite character first appeared in an ad there.. I can understand that.

To pay $50 for it, I would find bizarre.

To think it's a 'first appearance' in a collectors sense, is just strange.

To market it that way is just dishonest.

Liars, cheats, and con men will always try to distort perceptions to make a buck.

It's why there's so many copies of 90's drek sitting in long boxes in storage areas.

Don't you think many that do not appreciate our hobby find anyone paying more than cover price for a 'silly funny book' bizarre?

A collector is going to pay what they feel is a fair price for an item based on their (1) emotional attachment, (2) assumed future value or (3) excitement at that point in time.

If any of those three are not factored in, then those PREVIEWS would sit and sit as an active listing, while passers-by happening across them shake their head wondering what that seller was thinking.

I "shake my head" about almost everything that's said around here . . . :eyeroll: Egos are so large, that no one seems to think that what someone else wants to do is there own business.

Nice Cap 275 sale; I picked up a couple of those this weekend though b/c of its supply not sure they will reach those heights.

How do you determine which comic goes under which eBay user?

I "shake my head" about almost everything that's said around here . . . :eyeroll: Egos are so large, that no one seems to think that what someone else wants to do is there own business.

+1

or their own business too.

Nice Cap 275 sale; I picked up a couple of those this weekend though b/c of its supply not sure they will reach those heights.

How do you determine which comic goes under which eBay user?

I try to offer items consistent in age and publisher (and grade), but it gets muddied at times due to the number of listings available under each account. Most of my higher dollar books go to divadrabnud, because it's the oldest and most established. I do find however, that many buyers prefer not to buy books from sellers with high feedback numbers. Those are the primary reasons for multiple accounts. As to buying, I rarely buy anything on eBay (except from cd4ever).

+1

or their own business too.

oopsy! ;)