• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,870 posts in this topic

Hey if Rocket Raccoon can become big, then why not the Valiant Universe?

:gossip: Shhhhhh... I've been buying them for 17 years straight... don't give me competition now! :grin:

"Buy what you like" they said.

Well, I liked Valiant.

Bought some.

Still liked Valiant.

Bought some more.

Repeat... for almost half my life. lol

Further evidence of this new collecting trend , here's a Thor 373 9.8 with ******46 bids******, which closed at $62.77 plus $15 for shipping.

There are books that were released yesterday that would sell for a higher price than 62 dollars and change if slabbed 9.8...

Yep, and be worth half as much next week. lol

newstand copies of that issue are not going to be all that much harder to find. if anything, at that point in time more newstand copies might have been printed, although maybe not kept.

$63 doesn't seem like a huge amount of money. it has white pages too. it costs how much to get a book slabbed? sure, that's in the upward range of a price for a 9.8 of a generic book, but seriously, how many people are actually slabbing that issue? so if you want to buy it in 9.8 in a slab there isn't a ton out there.

also, the seller "sold" the same slab in december for $26. i guess whoever won that auction decided they didn't want it at that price.

Naysayer, much?

For a guy who posts in the copper subforum, you don't seem to have a love for copper books.Just sayin'.

Correct, $63 + $15 shipping isn't a lot of money but in the context of this book specifically, it is on the higher side.The buyer is paying $78 for a "run" copy of an 80's book.The signifigance of this issue is that it's a 25th anniversary cover.

I'm not going to bother debating newsstands vs. direct copies in NM/MT as that's a waste of time.I'm not suggesting the premium realized on newsstands is all that high.Personally, I'll pay a bit more, just because I prefer to own newsstand copies.

The point is, there was a lot of interest in the book, and that there are guys who collect Marvel 25th anniversary covers.They collect all 25th anniversary covers, across the board.As such, these particular covers are heating up, *across the board*.Regardless of wether a collector is into Iron Man, he will buy that month's Iron Man for the sake of collecting all of the 25th anniversary covers.Try to find a lower printed book like the 25th anniversary issue of Peter Porker in slabbed 9.8.That book is a mother effer, one of the hardest 25th anniversary covers in 9.8 to get.Look up the GPA on 25th anniversary covers, then look up the GPA on the issue preceding and following the 25th anniversary issue and you'll see what I'm getting at.

If the seller sat on the Thor instead of auctioning it, I think he could have sold it for a $100 BIN or thereabouts.

As far as the book formerly selling at $26 via auction and the high bidder not following through, that means nothing.

About 99% of the time, when a book is relisted after an auction bidder does not pay, it sells for more than it did the first tie around because it gets more attention.

Just last week I sold a Preacher # 1 CBCS 9.6 (with an Ennis Authenticated Signature) for $521 via auction.The buyer paid immediately.

2.5 weeks ago, I listed ithe very same slab at a starting bid of $499.99, under a 7 day auction and after 7 days, it went unsold.

I relisted it at a no reserve penny opener, auction style and it shot up to $510 overnight.Another bidder placed a bid on the last day , leaving the highest bid at $521

As I said, the second time around....you'll almost always get more action on a book.

I'm just saying newstand in 1985 is different than newstand in 1998 or whenever they almost stopped selling comics at newstands.

$62 just didn't seem like a lot to me and i wonder if the wild interest in the book may have been assisted by someone other than someone who wanted to purchase the book given the $26 december result. or maybe not, those anniversary issues are fun and all you need are two motivated buyers as this is a book where 9.8 slabs are not growing on trees. and that is exactly it, not a whole lot special about the book, but if you have 2 people who really want it that week.....

i would not expect the next 2 or 3 9.8 slabs of this book that get put up on ebay to generate this much interest, but i have been wrong before.

an analysis of the bidding shows that all the "extra" (above roughly the December sales price) came from 2 bidders and the winning bidder bid like 20 times.

you should probably press and slab your newstand 9.4 anyway, but i wouldn't assume it will hit $100.

and if it does, more power to you. all it takes is two motivated bidders. maybe the winner here will also want a newstand copy and the underbidder will be motivate not to be outbid again!

I'm just saying newstand in 1985 is different than newstand in 1998 or whenever they almost stopped selling comics at newstands.

$62 just didn't seem like a lot to me and i wonder if the wild interest in the book may have been assisted by someone other than someone who wanted to purchase the book given the $26 december result. or maybe not, those anniversary issues are fun and all you need are two motivated buyers as this is a book where 9.8 slabs are not growing on trees. and that is exactly it, not a whole lot special about the book, but if you have 2 people who really want it that week.....

i would not expect the next 2 or 3 9.8 slabs of this book that get put up on ebay to generate this much interest, but i have been wrong before.

Correct ! this is from mile high web site: So early direct market books should be valued way higher than newsstand ! if your into that !

Year % Newsstand %Direct Market

1979 94% 6%

1982 80% 20%

1986 50% 50%

1990 15% 85%

1995 10% 90%

2000 5% 95%

2005 2% 98%

2013 1% 99%

Edited by paul747

Correct ! this is from mile high web site: So early direct market books should be valued way higher than newsstand ! if your into that !

1979 94% 6%

1982 80% 20%

1986 50% 50%

1990 15% 85%

1995 10% 90%

2000 5% 95%

2005 2% 98%

2013 1% 99%

the early direct market books can, and do, in fact fetch a premium, sometimes. dunno about 1979 though, that might be tool ate except for specific issues. when was the first year or two of DM? i have done decently on some of those, generic mid-grade marvels getting full guide, maybe more. even by 1979, even if 6% of the print-run, i have to wonder if they are 25% of the comics still hanging around. as for the newstand book form 1985, i don't mean to pooh pooh that, i agree, they're probably a chunk harder to find in high grade, just, as we can see from above, not necessarily any harder to find in general.

1979 94% 6%

1982 80% 20%

1986 50% 50%

1990 15% 85%

1995 10% 90%

2000 5% 95%

2005 2% 98%

2013 1% 99%

Take these numbers with CONSIDERABLE grains of salt!

:eek:

1979 94% 6%

1982 80% 20%

1986 50% 50%

1990 15% 85%

1995 10% 90%

2000 5% 95%

2005 2% 98%

2013 1% 99%

Why would those numbers be skewed? Do you have evidence that they are? :grin:

1979 94% 6%

1982 80% 20%

1986 50% 50%

1990 15% 85%

1995 10% 90%

2000 5% 95%

2005 2% 98%

2013 1% 99%

Yes.

I find that early direct market books are still quite easier to find in high grade compared to late newsstand. Most people buying early direct market were collectors who already were taking quite good care of what they bought.

How early? I am thinking certain 30 cent cover price books, so before 1979, likely 1977. and honestly, i am not really thinking about super high grade. Take a book like ASM 165. A cursory look on ebay seems to indicate 15-20 newstand copies for each direct market. Now, it's true, any pricing premium isn't smacking you in the face, it's just that based on my anecdotal experience those books, at least in the mid-grades, seem to be better able to get closer to guide than their newstand counterparts. But this was a few years ago. Maybe the collectors who cared got their DM versions already.

With that said, in 1977 I was 5 years old and going to the comic shop near me with my older brother and dad. I wasn't taking care of what I bought off the rack!

Edited by the blob

1979 94% 6%

1982 80% 20%

1986 50% 50%

1990 15% 85%

1995 10% 90%

2000 5% 95%

2005 2% 98%

2013 1% 99%

Yes.

I took these numbers with honey mustard. I used to take them with kosher salt, because it was easier to skewer them on cast iron grill.

I can't think of a single Valiant book, especially pre-unity, that gets decent money in 9.6 at the moment. I think Harbinger 1 will still nab $100 or more but that's it. It's sad the reboot didn't uptick the prices at all.

Limited collecting dollars are going to the new releases, not the back issues. The current titles are pretty good reads for the most part and you don't need to read the back issues to understand what's going on. I know when I started buying Valiant's Magnus and Solar I had no desire to go back to the Gold Key books that preceded them.

Plus the fact that the pre-unity books are essentially two steps removed from the characters being published today, and the fact that two of the best pre-Unity titles, Magnus and Solar, feature characters that are no longer controlled by today's Valiant.

If one or more characters are ever featured in a popular movie or TV series, their back issues may climb as a result, although even then it's not a foregone conclusion. And even if it does bring some heat, it will likely only be for the first appearances or first story arcs, not the entire Valiant/Acclaim runs. Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Shadowman, Rai all debuted pre-Unity. The rest of the current Valiant properties had higher print run debuts, including for Archer & Armstrong, Eternal Warrior, Bloodshot, etc.

Eventually it will happen.

Marvel and DC universe properties are all taken, so if your Hollywood you look around and you see that these Valiant Comics once sold in the millions, plus had popular video games.

Another thing about these Valiant characters is they were created in the 1990s,so they are fairly modern compared to taking an old character from the 1930s like Doc Savage and trying to update them for a modern audience.

Hey if Rocket Raccoon can become big, then why not the Valiant Universe?

Fan base too small?

an analysis of the bidding shows that all the "extra" (above roughly the December sales price) came from 2 bidders and the winning bidder bid like 20 times.

you should probably press and slab your newstand 9.4 anyway, but i wouldn't assume it will hit $100.

and if it does, more power to you. all it takes is two motivated bidders. maybe the winner here will also want a newstand copy and the underbidder will be motivate not to be outbid again!

I already pressed my 9.4 raw copy earlier today, took it out half an hour ago and it is a solid 9.8 candidate.

I grabbed a standard full back, standard mylite 2 and 4 BCW silver boards(I support all of my books with extra boards so they don't get jacked up at shows)............

then I labeled the book and filed it into my $10 convention stock.

I think a 9.8 copy of the book would catch $100 or so, via a BIN listing.Depends how quickly you want to sell it, I'd imagine you'd get a quicker sale at $75 (plus shipping) via BIN, than $100 (plus shipping).A lot of Marvel copper collectors that I've talked to are 25th anniversary completionists and if one does the research on the 25th anniversary covers, it is plain to see that collectors pay a premium for them.Newsstand or not.

I could submit it and make a decent profit on it but I also sell raw comics at shows so I can't submit everything I can make a buck on.It's good to have raw, high grade copper books in my convention inventory.So, I don't mind giving someone a good deal on the book, that is how I do things.Greedy bastards do not get repeat customers;)

Furthermore, I've already got about a 100 books which I will be submitting to CGC at the Big Apple Con on March 7th.They're mostly moderns,a few silvers and a few magazines.With grading fees (economy tier plus $8 fast track on most), I'm looking at around a $2500 bill from CGC.That's with a 10% CGC membership discount......that's a signifigant kick in the nuts.

1979 94% 6%

1982 80% 20%

1986 50% 50%

1990 15% 85%

1995 10% 90%

2000 5% 95%

2005 2% 98%

2013 1% 99%

Yes.

I took these numbers with honey mustard. I used to take them with kosher salt, because it was easier to skewer them on cast iron grill.

Lets have the facts RMA , I really would like to know, As stated those where from Mile high. Whats the actual percentages?

1979 94% 6%

1982 80% 20%

1986 50% 50%

1990 15% 85%

1995 10% 90%

2000 5% 95%

2005 2% 98%

2013 1% 99%

Yes.

Lets have the facts RMA , I really would like to know, As stated those where from Mile high. Whats the actual percentages?

Well, you could start here.