• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

I think Cable is getting extra credit in this analysis because he was made a centerpiece of various story arcs in the X-universe. Those books would have sold a quadrillion copies without him like they were doing before him.

Mind you, I DO have a horse in this race as I have several NM 87 (and 88, 89 and 86) and no NM 98 (and have sold most of my 1998 series books and it looks like I will never retire on my stack of X-Force 2sssss), so I should probably just shut up, but for some reason I can't seem to help myself. It is a problem.

I think Thor 339 is better than all of them though....

You mean 337 (Beta Ray Bill), right?

And I agree with you on that. One of the all time great issues of any series ever. The entire Simonson run is undervalued. Quality books, all of them.

RDJ didn't get a crazy good deal on the 1st Iron Man, he was basically out, and for that reason he actually made a ton of money later because he was not locked in long term. RDJ was known, yes, but not for the things that get you big time jobs anymore, and really his return was in a little, but an little movie called Kiss, Kiss, Bang Bang (directed by Shane Black, would would go on to direct Iron Man 3). It's pretty well known that Terrance Howard was the highest paid actor in Iron Man 1 (and later was replaced for Cheadle).

Because he wasn't locked in and because Iron Man was such a hit and garnered Disney's interest, RDJ was not only able to renegotiate early but he had enough juice to insure better deals for his other castmates using the enormous leverage his performance garnered him, but Jon Favreau had to champion RDJ for the role strong. Since then he has been able to get enormous money, reportedly 80 million for Age of Ultron and CIvil War.

RDJ was a risk that paid off big, and because he and the film was a risk he wasn't stuck on a long term deal that others after him go (Marvel was notoriously frugal). He was absolutely regarded as a quality actor, but with demons.

I think Venom was bigger than Cable in the 90's. NM 87 sold for more but there were more copies. Marvel even made Venom a hero to put him in more comics...and they all sold well. I bought Deadpool 1, Cable 1, Gambit 1 and Venom 1...and bloodshot 1 and turok 1 and ff 371 and silver surfer 50 and etc., etc. lol

I think Cable is getting extra credit in this analysis because he was made a centerpiece of various story arcs in the X-universe. Those books would have sold a quadrillion copies without him like they were doing before him.

Mind you, I DO have a horse in this race as I have several NM 87 (and 88, 89 and 86) and no NM 98 (and have sold most of my 1998 series books and it looks like I will never retire on my stack of X-Force 2sssss), so I should probably just shut up, but for some reason I can't seem to help myself. It is a problem.

I think Thor 339 is better than all of them though....

You mean 337 (Beta Ray Bill), right?

And I agree with you on that. One of the all time great issues of any series ever. The entire Simonson run is undervalued. Quality books, all of them.

I don't have half a short box of 337. I think third appearances are very overlooked and under appreciated.

RDJ didn't get a crazy good deal on the 1st Iron Man, he was basically out, and for that reason he actually made a ton of money later because he was not locked in long term. RDJ was known, yes, but not for the things that get you big time jobs anymore, and really his return was in a little, but an little movie called Kiss, Kiss, Bang Bang (directed by Shane Black, would would go on to direct Iron Man 3). It's pretty well known that Terrance Howard was the highest paid actor in Iron Man 1 (and later was replaced for Cheadle).

Because he wasn't locked in and because Iron Man was such a hit and garnered Disney's interest, RDJ was not only able to renegotiate early but he had enough juice to insure better deals for his other castmates using the enormous leverage his performance garnered him, but Jon Favreau had to champion RDJ for the role strong. Since then he has been able to get enormous money, reportedly 80 million for Age of Ultron and CIvil War.

RDJ was a risk that paid off big, and because he and the film was a risk he wasn't stuck on a long term deal that others after him go (Marvel was notoriously frugal). He was absolutely regarded as a quality actor, but with demons.

Correct except for the risk involved. Yes both actors were a risk but Jackman was the biggest risk as he had no US film history and was replacing the actor for the role due to Mission Impossible II taking longer than scheduled (Dougray Scott) A last minute fill in and couple a actor with no history was a bigger gamble than RDJ. Yes his drug history is always a gamble but at least Marvel knew if clean he could act. 2c

Edited by natevegas

Correct except for the risk involved. Yes both actors were a risk but Jackman was the biggest risk as he had no US film history and was replacing the actor for the role due to Mission Impossible II taking longer than scheduled (Dougray Scott) A last minute fill in and couple a actor with no history was a bigger gamble than RDJ. Yes his drug history is always a gamble but at least Marvel knew if clean he could act. 2c

Oh yeah I wasn't really arguing between the two, I was just saying that RDJ was not a slam dunk decision initially, it was more Marvel, or more specifically Favreau, giving him an opportunity at first than it was a big movie star taking a chance on the film. Iron Man was very much a surprise and a redemption where both parties won big.

And for that Disney really came out of pocket and gave him money in a way they only really gave a Depp before for creating a multimedia blockbuster.

I'd say both Jackman and RDJ achieved levels that were both pleasant surprises. Undeniable though, yes, everyone knew RDJ was once looking like a great actor.

not that i want to argue, but remember, x-men had a ton of names in it already (hale, stewart, gandalf, sexy gap toothed girl). people weren't going to the movie just for wolverine.

Maybe I am jaded, but it seemed like some of Cable's popularity was because Wizard was telling collectors he should be popular. Deadpool's current popularity seems more organic and natural.

Cable had Wizard, Deadpool has the internet. I think we know who wins that battle.

Cable had Wizard and Deadpool had Wizard....the internet wasn't around yet. Its not about winning or losing or which character will be more popular now or in a year etc. What is important is how much of a impact just one good movie adaptation can launch the popularity of a character.

Here are the facts....

Deadpool has a record breaking movie debut.....he's not going to become less popular.

Cable will be in the sequel and possibly x-force and/ or new mutants who knows how many movies and spinoffs might be made in the next decade. This will undoubtedly raise his popularity to the masses to both comic book genre folks and pop culture.

The only fact there is deadpool is breaking box offices all the rest is opinion and guesswork. All the rest is up in the air. :baiting:

Cable ruled the 90s, but Fox is really going to have to put a lot into the character to give him appeal. Id like to see the character do well, but

it just seems to me he will be another supporting character unless a AoA becomes huge. If that happens he will be a monster.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Maybe I am jaded, but it seemed like some of Cable's popularity was because Wizard was telling collectors he should be popular. Deadpool's current popularity seems more organic and natural.

Cable had Wizard, Deadpool has the internet. I think we know who wins that battle.

Cable had Wizard and Deadpool had Wizard....the internet wasn't around yet. Its not about winning or losing or which character will be more popular now or in a year etc. What is important is how much of a impact just one good movie adaptation can launch the popularity of a character.

Here are the facts....

Deadpool has a record breaking movie debut.....he's not going to become less popular.

Cable will be in the sequel and possibly x-force and/ or new mutants who knows how many movies and spinoffs might be made in the next decade. This will undoubtedly raise his popularity to the masses to both comic book genre folks and pop culture.

The only fact there is deadpool is breaking box offices all the rest is opinion and guesswork. All the rest is up in the air. :baiting:

Cable ruled the 90s, but Fox is really going to have to put a lot into the character to give him appeal. Id like to see the character do well, but

it just seems to me he will be another supporting character unless a AoA becomes huge. If that happens he will be a monster.

Not really all opinion and guesswork but if you think so go right ahead.

1. X-force movie is in r&d and Reynolds has said its a priority of his to make it happen. When a guy pushed a movie that ended up being the highest grossing debut for Fox studios movie EVER I think they'll listen (this is the same studios that have been around a long time and were behind the first star wars trilogy, prequels, and alien franchise so that is saying a lot)..

2. New mutants movie is on the table right now as well and a -script is in the works.

3. Deadpool 2 has already been greenlit and Cable is in it. (same writing pair as first one)

Yeah that is all up in the air right?

:baiting:

Folks...a little perspective.

Cable was IMMENSELY popular when he first appeared on the scene. Within literally 6 months of his first appearance...and granted, New Mutants #87 didn't take the world by storm...he was the single hottest new character in comics.

By the time New Mutants #100 came out, #87 was a $65 book...that would be roughly equivalent to a new issue of Fantastic Four selling for $350 now.

Cable was huge, the clear leader of the new Marvel "triad" of Cable, Gambit, and Bishop.

Deadpool, a cultural icon...?

hm

Shouldn't one have to be fairly popular for a generation or more to be a "cultural icon"...?

Deadpool was nothing, and "nobody" cared about him until about 2008. Up to that point, he was just another failed 90's intro, and there are hundreds of them.

Clearly, Deadpool has become a POP icon, and is the most popular character currently in comics...which is saying something...and I'm not saying that DP didn't pass Cable in popularity a while ago. He did.

But...Cable did what Deadpool never did, and there's quite a bit of nostalgia for the character that simply isn't present for DP. Does that mean Cable could become as popular?

Maybe. The Fox/Marvel thing is a great problem.

But we'll see.

This fits and mirrors and my recollection.

I would want to add that while sure, both Ghost Rider and Punisher experienced renewed interest and titles, I would not underestimate how, even compared to healthy titles, dominant the X-brand was.

Cable was the biggest new thing at the X-verse and was weaved into the mythology from the start, and while we can count miniseries and solo series, Cable was major in big X events, and there were no consistently bigger events (you'd have outliers like Death of Superman, which was in many ways an act of desperation for DC which was not only getting killed by Marvel, but was seeing other publishers grab heat).

If one wasn't a fan personally or maybe not a fan of Marvel, or the X-Men block specifically, or the era, but this was arguably the biggest era of comics and for a awhile there Cable felt like the third most talked about character at Marvel, behind Spidey and Wolverine (people have to remember that the Avengers related books of the time and FF were just not anything near what the X-Office was.

Obviously he's not as popular as Deadpool now, and kids did know of Deadpool before the film via games, and ever con will reveal how popular he is relative to other characters, but Cable was huge in a pure comic book sense for awhile and if you are an X-men head always will be important just based on that initial impact and his familial ties. Hell, just recently he was at the forefront of X-events from Messiah Complex on.

I think it's arguable, and maybe RMA can comment, there was a like 4-6 year period where the X-Men brand constituted the biggest thing we've ever seen in comics. Even after the IMAGE exodus those books were crowding the top 20 sales. Generation X, Age of Apocalypse, Fatal Attractions, and freakin' Scott Lobdell was probably making more royalties of any Big 2 writer.

I still love the 90s Ghost Rider (Dan Ketch). Hell, I even enjoy Vengeance which I believe has a potential for upside.

Nick Cage was not a good option and the scripts were horrible. The comics have been pretty blah since then too. Turning him orange and manga was pfffttttt.

Give him a decent actor and a better -script and it might be gold. In all honesty, it would work better if he wasn't the focus/sole character.

Patrick

He was on the X-men animated series cartoon that had a big impact on x-men fans at the time and still does.

The 90's cartoon is what got me into comics and what drives my collecting even today....

Folks...a little perspective.

Cable was IMMENSELY popular when he first appeared on the scene. Within literally 6 months of his first appearance...and granted, New Mutants #87 didn't take the world by storm...he was the single hottest new character in comics.

By the time New Mutants #100 came out, #87 was a $65 book...that would be roughly equivalent to a new issue of Fantastic Four selling for $350 now.

Cable was huge, the clear leader of the new Marvel "triad" of Cable, Gambit, and Bishop.

Deadpool, a cultural icon...?

hm

Shouldn't one have to be fairly popular for a generation or more to be a "cultural icon"...?

Deadpool was nothing, and "nobody" cared about him until about 2008. Up to that point, he was just another failed 90's intro, and there are hundreds of them.

Clearly, Deadpool has become a POP icon, and is the most popular character currently in comics...which is saying something...and I'm not saying that DP didn't pass Cable in popularity a while ago. He did.

But...Cable did what Deadpool never did, and there's quite a bit of nostalgia for the character that simply isn't present for DP. Does that mean Cable could become as popular?

Maybe. The Fox/Marvel thing is a great problem.

But we'll see.

This fits and mirrors and my recollection.

I would want to add that while sure, both Ghost Rider and Punisher experienced renewed interest and titles, I would not underestimate how, even compared to healthy titles, dominant the X-brand was.

Cable was the biggest new thing at the X-verse and was weaved into the mythology from the start, and while we can count miniseries and solo series, Cable was major in big X events, and there were no consistently bigger events (you'd have outliers like Death of Superman, which was in many ways an act of desperation for DC which was not only getting killed by Marvel, but was seeing other publishers grab heat).

If one wasn't a fan personally or maybe not a fan of Marvel, or the X-Men block specifically, or the era, but this was arguably the biggest era of comics and for a awhile there Cable felt like the third most talked about character at Marvel, behind Spidey and Wolverine (people have to remember that the Avengers related books of the time and FF were just not anything near what the X-Office was.

Obviously he's not as popular as Deadpool now, and kids did know of Deadpool before the film via games, and ever con will reveal how popular he is relative to other characters, but Cable was huge in a pure comic book sense for awhile and if you are an X-men head always will be important just based on that initial impact and his familial ties. Hell, just recently he was at the forefront of X-events from Messiah Complex on.

I think it's arguable, and maybe RMA can comment, there was a like 4-6 year period where the X-Men brand constituted the biggest thing we've ever seen in comics. Even after the IMAGE exodus those books were crowding the top 20 sales. Generation X, Age of Apocalypse, Fatal Attractions, and freakin' Scott Lobdell was probably making more royalties of any Big 2 writer.

I still love the 90s Ghost Rider (Dan Ketch). Hell, I even enjoy Vengeance which I believe has a potential for upside.

Nick Cage was not a good option and the scripts were horrible. The comics have been pretty blah since then too. Turning him orange and manga was pfffttttt.

Give him a decent actor and a better -script and it might be gold. In all honesty, it would work better if he wasn't the focus/sole character.

Patrick

That Ghost Rider, the ONLY Ghost Rider for my money, was wonderful. I jumped on because of the X-Men crossover and the Brood!

I think the problem is that those movies, at least the first one, probably happened or t least fast tracked because Nic Cage was involved. I think -script and just what constituted a comic book movie was more the issues, I think good Nic Cage is a fine actor.

That book is on fire.

I was banking on that book years ago because of Killer Croc. That and Detective 523. Glad to see the market finally caught up. It's a great run of stories across Batman and Detective Comics.

:applause: