• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

Folks...a little perspective.

Cable was IMMENSELY popular when he first appeared on the scene. Within literally 6 months of his first appearance...and granted, New Mutants #87 didn't take the world by storm...he was the single hottest new character in comics.

By the time New Mutants #100 came out, #87 was a $65 book...that would be roughly equivalent to a new issue of Fantastic Four selling for $350 now.

Cable was huge, the clear leader of the new Marvel "triad" of Cable, Gambit, and Bishop.

Deadpool, a cultural icon...?

hm

Shouldn't one have to be fairly popular for a generation or more to be a "cultural icon"...?

Deadpool was nothing, and "nobody" cared about him until about 2008. Up to that point, he was just another failed 90's intro, and there are hundreds of them.

Clearly, Deadpool has become a POP icon, and is the most popular character currently in comics...which is saying something...and I'm not saying that DP didn't pass Cable in popularity a while ago. He did.

But...Cable did what Deadpool never did, and there's quite a bit of nostalgia for the character that simply isn't present for DP. Does that mean Cable could become as popular?

Maybe. The Fox/Marvel thing is a great problem.

But we'll see.

Shouldn't one have to be fairly popular for a generation or more to be a "cultural icon"...?

Deadpool was nothing, and "nobody" cared about him until about 2008. Up to that point, he was just another failed 90's intro, and there are hundreds of them.

Clearly, Deadpool has become a POP icon, and is the most popular character currently in comics...which is saying something...and I'm not saying that DP didn't pass Cable in popularity a while ago. He did.

But...Cable did what Deadpool never did, and there's quite a bit of nostalgia for the character that simply isn't present for DP. Does that mean Cable could become as popular?

---------

I know you will argue with me until I give up, but Deadpool has been a very popular character at this point (even if it mainly happened in the last 8 years) a bunch longer than Cable was in the 90s. Cable started to fizzle a few years into his own series. Cable was really hot because he was involved in a whole bunch of cool futuristic story lines, the character itself? It's great that NM 87 sold for a lot of money. So did Harbinger 1 and a bunch of other valiants. And now they do again, but because if census numbers a 40 year olds' nostalgia.

And it goes beyond comics. Way beyond comics. A whole generation of deranged boys loves Deadpool. Frankly, I think deranged boys in the early 90s loved Cable because they thought they could make a buck off his comics. The vast majority of kids today could not care less about that.

Edited by the blob

---------

I know you will argue with me until I give up, but Deadpool has been a very popular character at this point (even if it mainly happened in the last 8 years) a bunch longer than Cable was in the 90s. Cable started to fizzle a few years into his own series. Cable was really hot because he was involved in a whole bunch of cool futuristic story lines, the character itself? It's great that NM 87 sold for a lot of money. So did Harbinger 1 and a bunch of other valiants. And now they do again, but because if census numbers a 40 year olds' nostalgia.

And it goes beyond comics. Way beyond comics. A whole generation of deranged boys loves Deadpool. Frankly, I think deranged boys in the early 90s loved Cable because they thought they could make a buck off his comics. The vast majority of kids today could not care less about that.

When Cable carries several books at once, has a pile of teenagers chasing his merchandise, has the No1 Film currently at the box office and has both teenagers and the parents of teenagers talking about how much fun the movie was then I will believe.(It was hilarious for those that haven't seen it yet.) They cant wait for a sequel.

I enjoyed Cable in the 90s. I loved his NM run. He fell apart for me when they couldn't decide what he actual was. His origin was so messed up I stop trying to figure it out.

I could see him being the "serious" sidekick to Deadpool and that's about it. If Fox makes him the main hero versus Apocalypse then he has a chance. Its about the only way. Let them continue to drive NM 87. It does have a nice flippage value for a little while. Long term is filled with more risk tolerance then I would want as either a collector or flipper.

Edited by Fastballspecial

it is funny, with Deadpool the attraction is not the Liefeld design but the character building done by the writers (for the most part, the design is cool too) but with Cable it is the opposite...the cool design carries the character. Cable is cool looking, an excellent character design I think. So 1990s yes, but Liefeld partly defined that time. (Remember Herb Trimpe trying to keep working and drawing like that? Or Sean Chen's brief foray into Image-lines?)

All the talk of The Twelve, then Cable being Scott and Jean's child from the future...it was all quite heady back in the day. That stuff was talked about in the college dorms throughout the nation, at least at Rutgers it was. It was the time just before the internet and Cable really came on the scene with a bang. It was a different time, Comic Buyer's guide existed but little else talked about comics .

Edited by Bird

---------

When Cable carries several books at once, has a pile of teenagers chasing his merchandise, has the No1 Film currently at the box office and has both teenagers and the parents of teenagers talking about how much fun the movie was then I will believe.(It was hilarious for those that haven't seen it yet.) They cant wait for a sequel.

I enjoyed Cable in the 90s. I loved his NM run. He fell apart for me when they couldn't decide what he actual was. His origin was so messed up I stop trying to figure it out.

I could see him being the "serious" sidekick to Deadpool and that's about it. If Fox makes him the main hero versus Apocalypse then he has a chance. Its about the only way. Let them continue to drive NM 87. It does have a nice flippage value for a little while. Long term is filled with more risk tolerance then I would want as either a collector or flipper.

The fact that some of you think that teenagers are the ones shelling out $800+ for NM98's in 9.8 is really funny.

---------

Shrugs at all your criteria here. Gambit is still popular and he had solo series that didn't last very long. Same thing can be said about Fantomex or Groot, etc. All it takes is a character to make an impression on someone for the first or 200th time, appear in a well done movie and boom the character becomes pop culture. I've said this before and I'll say this again Deadpool wasn't know to the masses 2 weeks ago outside of comic book readers or the genre. Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't either yet they appeared in a movie and now look at their importance. A character doesn't have to have quantity of current titles to fit being popular.

Will NM 87 top 98? Probably not but its darn close to it right now and we'll all see what happens with the Deadpool sequel.

Cable was IMMENSELY popular when he first appeared on the scene. Within literally 6 months of his first appearance...and granted, New Mutants #87 didn't take the world by storm...he was the single hottest new character in comics.

By the time New Mutants #100 came out, #87 was a $65 book...that would be roughly equivalent to a new issue of Fantastic Four selling for $350 now.

Cable was huge, the clear leader of the new Marvel "triad" of Cable, Gambit, and Bishop.

hm

But we'll see.

What he said :preach:

I've said this before and I'll say this again Deadpool wasn't know to the masses 2 weeks ago outside of comic book readers or the genre.

----------

masses of 10-20 year olds were very much into the character who were not really reading comics. yes, i know, hey aren't shelling out $1000 for slabs, but the fact that future people with money like the character impacts today's values.

my 10 year old was blabbering about the 4th wall before i ever got him a deadpool comic. don't ask me. he has been on the spiderman cartoon. maybe he sees stuff on the internet. i have no idea.

i enjoyed that movie a bunch. really liked colossus in it.

Maybe I am jaded, but it seemed like some of Cable's popularity was because Wizard was telling collectors he should be popular. Deadpool's current popularity seems more organic and natural.

Maybe I am jaded, but it seemed like some of Cable's popularity was because Wizard was telling collectors he should be popular. Deadpool's current popularity seems more organic and natural.

He was on the X-men animated series cartoon that had a big impact on x-men fans at the time and still does.

hm

But we'll see.

What he said :preach:

That's all well and good, but as a bystander at that stage, my only observation was that anything Liefeld did was , and frankly? I don't think that's changed an iota . . . :roflmao:

He was on the X-men animated series cartoon that had a big impact on x-men fans at the time and still does.

I think he was in 6 episodes. I watched the cartoon now and then (sadly enough given that I was in my mid-20s in 1996...), didn't remember those.

With that said, yes, he was a big deal at the time. But so were the Punsher and Ghost Rider. So was Lobo.