• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

I think the point is cable was really big among comic nerds (and i don't mean that negatively) during his peak, but deadpool has gone beyond that. Mind you, if marvel had been pumping out movies in 1993 and we had the interweb in everyone's pocket things could have been different.

What I want to know rma, was cable really bigger than punisher? punisher seemed really big here, but he's a new yorker and all.

Edited by the blob

So was NM 87 down by the time Cable 1 came out? I feel like it was still silly expensive, but that might have been a copy gathering dust on my LCS wall at that point?

Which Cable #1? The 1992 mini, or the 1993 regular? By the 1992 mini, it still had legs. But by the 1993 #1, it had lost most of its steam, and began the long, slow march into discount box status. But, like many of these books, it was never really a "dollar box" book (like you've said of New Mutants #98, though NM #98 was much, much more likely to be one.) You generally had to pay $5 or so for a copy on eBay throughout the 90's/00's.

I only managed to accumulate 25 or so in the last 26 years, but I certainly would have bought them if they came through my hands. I have, for example, about 100 copies or so of #100.

with that said, you're quoting a 1992 magazine, are you sure cable was so spensive by the time of NM 100? (i was out of collecting then, i was reading some comics my college roommate took home, thats about it)

Yes and no, as always.

That year of time, between New Mutants #100 and X-Force #9, was the year of New Mutants #87 dominance.

As I'm sure you remember, Overstreet was (and still is) slow to react to the "hot new stuff."

For example, in that same Update #21, the value of NM #87 only went up to $45, despite the above noted reports saying the book was $50-$70.

New Mutants #87 was reprinted in the gap between New Mutants #100 and X-Force #1, but that hardly satisfied demand, as collectors universally ignored reprints at the time.

Then, as now, it really didn't matter what the "price guide" said; you simply couldn't find them for sale, and had to cough up some serious money to get a copy. So, yes, IF you could find them, you probably could get one for "only" $25-$30 at the time of New Mutants #100...but, really, New Mutants #100 just set everything on fire, and the gap between that and X-Force #1 just made things crazier.

Like I said (and contemporaneous reports confirm): for the period between about August of 1990 to Spring of 1992, it was the single hottest recent back issue in the country.

That, and ASM #129....and to a lesser extent, Hulk #181....were what the market was coo-coo for.

I will have to disagree with that...

UXM 201 and NM 87 were mainstays on its top ten lists each month for a while.

I'm not quite sure what you're disagreeing with.

Wizard did not exist when Cable became popular.

It hadn't been created yet.

Gotcha. I just remember the books being on the top ten lists.

I think the point is cable was really big among comic nerds (and i don't mean that negatively) during his peak, but deadpool has gone beyond that. Mind you, if marvel had been pumping out movies in 1993 and we had the interweb in everyone's pocket things could have been different.

I don't think anyone is claiming Deadpool is not the hottest, most popular character in comics today. Certainly, that's clearly so. But it's a different world than it was 25 years ago, and Cable had his own day in the sun, and it happened very shortly after his first appearance, in a completely different way.

The point that I, and I think others, are making, is that, at the time, and as those examples (and they are just some examples) show, New Mutants #87 really was in a class of its own. It was really ABOUT New Mutants #87. Cable and New Mutants #87 were synonymous. They were one and the same.

And those who lived through that period remember that, and that book is burned in their memories.

But Deadpool has gone far beyond New Mutants #98. Sure, NM #98 is "the book" to have, IF you're into collecting comics....but I would be willing to bet that a good portion of the Deadpools at a con wouldn't be able to tell you what his first appearance was.

I have millennial friends who made a parkour Deadpool video. They had never heard of New Mutants #98, and it had no meaning to them.

For those people, Deadpool may be what he is, but it doesn't translate into "I must have this book!" in the same way as it did for New Mutants #87. People aren't connected to New Mutants #98 the way people were connected to New Mutants #87, and THAT may (or may not) be a significant factor in how NM #87 performs against NM #98.

And NM #98 exists in substantially higher numbers, in higher condition, than #87, too.

What I want to know rma, was cable really bigger than punisher? punisher seemed really big here, but he's a new yorker and all.

Oh, definitely not. There was no character at that time (late 1990-early 1992) that was hotter than Punisher. Cable was the hottest NEW character...but Punisher was where it was at, all over the nation.

Everybody, but everybody, wanted ASM #129.

I don't recall Venom being that big of a deal when ASM 300 came out. I mean sure he was a cool new villain that was originally Spiderman's suit that he picked up in Secret Wars. But back then it was all about McFarlane's art. Still remember trying to track down #298 because I had missed the issue. Ahh the days before pull lists. :frustrated:

Edited by FutureFlash

I don't recall Venom being that big of a deal when ASM 300 came out. I mean sure he was a cool new villain that was originally Spiderman's suit that he picked up in Secret Wars. But back then it was all about McFarlane's art. Still remember trying to track down #298 because I had missed the issue. Ahh the days before pull lists. :frustrated:

Agreed. Venom wasn't that big of a deal until a couple years later when he started making cover appearances.

I remember saying "whoa" when I saw this cover and I was hooked...

amazingsm316frontraw1nm.jpg

Punisher was always bigger than Cable pre-movie speculation era. I think it wasn't until movie rumors that Cable really started to move. To me, Cable is one of those characters from the Marvel crossover gluttony that happened in the early 90s. Not to mention the ridiculous Leifield art...

25.jpg

23.jpg

4.jpg

So, with all of the love Cable is getting these days, how about some heat for this godawful DC Cable ripoff with the really stupid name "Hemp" Black Cable?

2vja3pi.jpg

I assure you that this is a very rare and valuable appearance of what will surely be a tremendously popular character, and yes, I do happen to have a copy that I could probably be convinced to part with.

Anyone?

:cough:

So, with all of the love Cable is getting these days, how about some heat for this godawful DC Cable ripoff with the really stupid name "Hemp" Black Cable?

2vja3pi.jpg

I assure you that this is a very rare and valuable appearance of what will surely be a tremendously popular character, and yes, I do happen to have a copy that I could probably be convinced to part with.

Anyone?

I bet there was Hemp involved with this character! Wow, they even drew the infamous "Liefeld crotch" too :roflmao: The gun is too small though hm ...

Anyone?

lol

Marv was clearly not happy at being ripped off homaged by Liefeld, with "Wade Wilson" (Deadpool) being a blatant ripoff homage of "Slade Wilson" (Deathstroke), so he had a little fun for himself and ripped off homaged with Black Cable.

lol

Folks...a little perspective.

Cable was IMMENSELY popular when he first appeared on the scene. Within literally 6 months of his first appearance...and granted, New Mutants #87 didn't take the world by storm...he was the single hottest new character in comics.

By the time New Mutants #100 came out, #87 was a $65 book...that would be roughly equivalent to a new issue of Fantastic Four selling for $350 now.

Cable was huge, the clear leader of the new Marvel "triad" of Cable, Gambit, and Bishop.

Deadpool, a cultural icon...?

hm

Shouldn't one have to be fairly popular for a generation or more to be a "cultural icon"...?

Deadpool was nothing, and "nobody" cared about him until about 2008. Up to that point, he was just another failed 90's intro, and there are hundreds of them.

Clearly, Deadpool has become a POP icon, and is the most popular character currently in comics...which is saying something...and I'm not saying that DP didn't pass Cable in popularity a while ago. He did.

But...Cable did what Deadpool never did, and there's quite a bit of nostalgia for the character that simply isn't present for DP. Does that mean Cable could become as popular?

Maybe. The Fox/Marvel thing is a great problem.

But we'll see.

I do have to agree with you that Cable was THE dominant X-figure at the time. Though I am also glad to see you finally came around and pointed out Cable and Liefeld's popularity happened rather quickly. As previously you noted nobody took notice of Cable's 1st appearance for at least a year or so.

Cable picked up steam rather quickly after the first few issues started getting attention over Liefeld. $25 for a New Mutants #87 after four-five months from its publication was the early sign this was going much higher soon enough. New Mutants #98 took years to even achieve a $25 pricetag.