• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

Biggest revisionist history is that people hated Liefeld.

Is his artwork massively skewed? Absolutely.

Do many current artists do the same thing? Yes.

People need to move on from it.

Patrick

I remember when Hawk & Dove came out and seeing that cover thinking its Art Adams, I bought it immediately without thinking, next month everyone was talking about that book and this new artist. the next big liefeld book was What If #7.. When it got to NM85/86 Rob was already the new "new kid on the block" (fresh soon after Mcfarlane) and then everything else followed

A walk down Copper Age memory lane.

:cloud9:

I remember having that Hawk & Dove mini series. The artwork was actually not bad compared to the later New Mutants work.

28840-4249-32020-1-what-if-.jpg

I forgot about this one.

I know we've talked about this book before in other threads, but I'll state one more time that for all of the Liefeld gets, this book absolutely stood out on the racks when I was a kid, and I read it over and over again, simply because the art was new and exciting.

Of course, even as a kid I realized that some of the anatomy was wonky (I think there's a DPS of the Hulk fighting Wendigo, and one of them has, like, an extra arm's worth of arm in their arm) but it was so dynamic and different, it really flipped my lid.

I think Rob's early work, when tempered by a good inker, is still pretty fun stuff.

This is a pretty good cover due to the Williams inks. They're pretty heavy here and that's why this art has a "Jim Lee" looking quality to it.

When you look at the NM issues that McFarlane inked, they look as much McFarlane as they do RL.

Biggest revisionist history is that people hated Liefeld.

Is his artwork massively skewed? Absolutely.

Do many current artists do the same thing? Yes.

People need to move on from it.

Patrick

No, I prefer to beat this horse into paste. Liefeld deserves no less

People have to hold him to those Golden and Silver Age books by "masters" that they love that have perfect anatomy.

That's not even remotely true. Plenty of bad artists from every period.

I remember when Hawk & Dove came out and seeing that cover thinking its Art Adams, I bought it immediately without thinking, next month everyone was talking about that book and this new artist. the next big liefeld book was What If #7.. When it got to NM85/86 Rob was already the new "new kid on the block" (fresh soon after Mcfarlane) and then everything else followed

I remember having that Hawk & Dove mini series. The artwork was actually not bad compared to the later New Mutants work.

28840-4249-32020-1-what-if-.jpg

I forgot about this one.

I know we've talked about this book before in other threads, but I'll state one more time that for all of the Liefeld gets, this book absolutely stood out on the racks when I was a kid, and I read it over and over again, simply because the art was new and exciting.

Of course, even as a kid I realized that some of the anatomy was wonky (I think there's a DPS of the Hulk fighting Wendigo, and one of them has, like, an extra arm's worth of arm in their arm) but it was so dynamic and different, it really flipped my lid.

I think Rob's early work, when tempered by a good inker, is still pretty fun stuff.

This is a pretty good cover due to the Williams inks. They're pretty heavy here and that's why this art has a "Jim Lee" looking quality to it.

When you look at the NM issues that McFarlane inked, they look as much McFarlane as they do RL.

Yes, Cable definitely has the "McFarlane pout" on the cover of #87.

McFarlane inked the covers to #85-89 and #93, for anyone interested.

I forgot about this one.

Killer bullet holes. I'm not sure that gun fits into that holster though.

Why would Wolverine need a gun? :screwy:

Because he needed pouches and I don't think he carriers bubble gum and loose change.

I forgot about this one.

Because he needed pouches and I don't think he carriers bubble gum and loose change.

I would think a gun would be useful for ranged combat, unless he suddenly develops the ability to fire his claws like spears...

...ok, I now want him to be able to fire his claws like spears.

I would think a gun would be useful for ranged combat, unless he suddenly develops the ability to fire his claws like spears...

-------

exactly, so he can kill people from 150 feet away while killing other people from 3 feet away. multitasking.

I forgot about this one.

Sounds like a great reason for Marvel to re-boot Wolvie with a new # 1.

I forgot about this one.

I think they already tried it on SpiderMan: The Other.

suffice it to say it wasn't the most well recieved story in history....

I think they already tried it on SpiderMan: The Other.

suffice it to say it wasn't the most well recieved story in history....

Spider-Man with adamantium claws that he can shoot?

Thats-Gold-Jerry-Gold-Kenny-Bania-Seinfeld-Quote.gif

I forgot about this one.

I like this one better... Wolverine: Emergence of the Seventh Claw.

af8e7f0d-3870-4426-9bb3-1faf865b18ba_zpsigfqntgy.jpg