• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,818 posts in this topic

For those that doubt the allure of Copper Age newsstands (even with their supposed 50/50 print ratio to direct copies) in CGC 9.8 holders, I present you with the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201533218526?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

Just sold, and the buyer has paid.

Almost $100 over the last sale of a CGC 9.8 direct edition copy.

The downside is that this newsstand CGC 9.8 sold for about $125 LESS than the last newsstand CGC 9.8 copy sold for, last month.

That copy went off at $359 (plus 19.5% buyer's premium + tax) so call it $429 + tax and shipping/insurance.

However, that last copy was sold through Heritage *and* the wrap was just about perfect, with no white showing.

Congrats ,that whole manipulating the GPA thing worked for you .

Those trying to convince anyone that newsstand copies have any special appeal prior to about 1995 are selling you something.

Unless it's high-grade ASM #300 Newsstand CGC. Then the guy who keeps talking about them (me) is trying to BUY something (those, for the same price as directs).

Those trying to convince anyone that newsstand copies have any special appeal prior to about 1995 are selling you something.

I think it is logical to think they're going to be harder to find in 9.8 and maybe 9.6, that's about it.

Unless it's high-grade ASM #300 Newsstand CGC. Then the guy who keeps talking about them (me) is trying to BUY something (those, for the same price as directs).

I have one! :cloud9:

scan0008%204_zpsopjqukhc.jpg

I think it is logical to think they're going to be harder to find in 9.8 and maybe 9.6, that's about it.

Agreed...definitely a little more of a challenge to find them in ultra high grade, but anything other than that, no.

Agreed...definitely a little more of a challenge to find them in ultra high grade, but anything other than that, no.

Bingo.

A boardie, Newworld order, recently listed 10 or 12 copies of New Mutants 98 on this forum, all CGC 9.8's.

All but one of the copies were direct editions, the newsstand cgc 9.8, was the first to sell.

Can't remember if it sold higher than the other copies he listed, but I think it may have.

To RMA's point....pre 1995 newsstands...like this Suicide Squad, were printed in just about 50/50 ratios as their direct counterparts.

These books are certainly tougher to find in 9.6 and 9.8.

A simple search on eBay under any copper age issue + CGC 9.8 in the search string, take for example a book with a relatively high print run like Legends # 3.

We all know that the Legends mini series was a successful mini series for DC back in the mid 1980's....and for every 20 CGC 9.8's listed for sale or as sold, you might find one newsstand CGC 9.8, in the search results.

And the newsstand CGC 9.8's will pretty much invariably sell at a premium over CGC 9.8 direct editions.

The print runs of newsstands and direct editions were just about 50/50.....to say newsstands from this era were short printed would be a bold faced lie.

To say that newsstand CGC 9.6/9.8's are NOT nearly as available/obtainable as CGC 9.6/9.8 direct editions, is plain as day.

I have one! :cloud9:

scan0008%204_zpsopjqukhc.jpg

...and I can purchase this for the current GPA average of $972, correct? :wishluck:

I'll even sweeten the deal and throw in $28 extra for that unnecessary second cover. (thumbs u

For those that doubt the allure of Copper Age newsstands (even with their supposed 50/50 print ratio to direct copies) in CGC 9.8 holders, I present you with the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201533218526?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

The downside is that this newsstand CGC 9.8 sold for about $125 LESS than the last newsstand CGC 9.8 copy sold for, last month.

That copy went off at $359 (plus 19.5% buyer's premium + tax) so call it $429 + tax and shipping/insurance.

However, that last copy was sold through Heritage *and* the wrap was just about perfect, with no white showing.

Interesting. I wonder how much higher a Canadian newsstand edition would have gone for? I was planning on holding my 9.8 Legends #3 Canadian newsstand copy until closer to the movie, but this price makes me wonder if it is not better to sell now. hm

Direct 9.8s have sold for $300 and $276 in the last couple of months as well. The day before the crappy $207 sale, one sold for $269, so not quite $100, but yes, a premium.

With that said, this particular issue also does not look like it had much of a newsstand release based on the very few newsstand copies for sale. Maybe as a DC #1 for an obscure title it was mostly going to go to shops. Maybe it should be selling for 2X as much as Directs and you got hosed!

Interesting. I wonder how much higher a Canadian newsstand edition would have gone for? I was planning on holding my 9.8 Legends #3 Canadian newsstand copy until closer to the movie, but this price makes me wonder if it is not better to sell now. hm

I wonder if anyone's put together a complete Canadian set yet?

I would, but I'm too far from he source material, and everyone else wants silly prices.

:(

Canadian variants go for good money, you should list thst book asap.....check GPA;)

Legends 3 has dropped a lot, since last year.Sold my last cgc 9.8 direct for about $190 BIN.....can't even get $125 BIN for the 9.8 I have listed now.

Direct 9.8s have sold for $300 and $276 in the last couple of months as well. The day before the crappy $207 sale, one sold for $269, so not quite $100, but yes, a premium.

With that said, this particular issue also does not look like it had much of a newsstand release based on the very few newsstand copies for sale. Maybe as a DC #1 for an obscure title it was mostly going to go to shops. Maybe it should be selling for 2X as much as Directs and you got hosed!

I'm well aware of all of the sales on this book, hah....believe me.I only wish I had my skabbed copies in hand last summer.I'd have raked in a couple grand, easy...between the 9.6's and 9.8's I had.

I did actually sell it on the low end if what I think it's worth.If I had put it up in a CC/Heritage auction, I am sure I would have gotten more.

Definitely not double, though.

I do have 1 more 9.8 cgc newsstand.I'll be subbing that book to ComicConnect for auction, I've learned my lesson;)

I wonder if anyone's put together a complete Canadian set yet?

I would, but I'm too far from he source material, and everyone else wants silly prices.

:(

My guess is that Donut has a complete set, if not two. He has been buying them for years now and I think the last time he posted he had several long boxes.

I had all of the DC and most of the Marvel superhero CDN variants a few years back but sold most of the non-key/hot books off in a massive collection downsizing. I had lucked into two collections that had complete newsstand 80s Marvel and DC runs in high grade where the OO would search multiple 7-11/Mac's stores for the best copy(s), read them once and bag/board them. While they are common up here, it is not easy to find them in 9.6+.

Canadian variants go for good money, you should list thst book asap.....check GPA;)

Legends 3 has dropped a lot, since last year.Sold my last cgc 9.8 direct for about $190 BIN.....can't even get $125 BIN for the 9.8 I have listed now.

I have slowly been leaking some of my 9.8s out over the past couple of years. The two 9.8 Secret Wars #8s did very nicely last year leading into the whole Marvel Secret Wars event. I kind of regret selling my 9.8 Batman #400, but the price was right. I have not found anywhere close to as nice of a copy since then.

I have slowly been leaking some of my 9.8s out over the past couple of years. The two 9.8 Secret Wars #8s did very nicely last year leading into the whole Marvel Secret Wars event. I kind of regret selling my 9.8 Batman #400, but the price was right. I have not found anywhere close to as nice of a copy since then.

Rest easy you've made someone else mighty happy (thumbs u