• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,818 posts in this topic

I don't like the idea of making canadians rich, once again, due to them lucking into natural resources --- this time, canadian price variants.

Why are canadian price variants sought after, yet pence copies are lo9oked down upon (except on the milehigh webite, where I believe they are talked up?)

Any idea how the print-runs compare? Obviously the U.K. is bigger, but per capita Canadians read a lot of friggin comics, stuck in their igloos 6 months a year. On the other hand, along the border would a lot of the comics just be U.S. editions, thus making the Canadian print-run even smaller?

(Would Direct comics in canada not have the wacky prices, further reducing the numbers? And I'm guessing all U.K. comics, direct or newsstand, are the same?

It is because the pence symbol is so lame compared to a $ sign. lol

The print run on the CDN newsstand edition is likely lower than the UK pence copies as the population of Canada was ~50% of the UK (still is), but I am not certain.

I think I posted before that comic sales to Canada were likely 10% of what they were in the USA. Earlier newsstand variants should be easier to find as the newsstand print runs were probably in the 40% of total distribution range. The later $0.95 or $1.00 and up cover prices are the ones to get in high grade as the newsstand print runs had dropped significantly by then.

Canadian books are definitely harder to find, but my issue is that these superheroes are U.S.A. superheroes (brainstormed, born, and bred), and the comics they appeared inside are for the big ole U.S.A. market. The books sent outside the border were "U.S.A. books for foreigners", which we didn't want in the first place, so I don't know why we'd want them back. I don't see any need to be a 100% USDA U.S.A. boy and spend my hard earned sawbucks on books what ya reckon was just made in the first place for all the dern foreigners.

Now, before anyone accuses me of only being xenophobic, I'll just point out that I'm already a better CGC collectin' Canadian than all of you... because Canada's greatest hero is Wolverine, and Canada's first Canadian appearance of Wolverine was in a CGC graded Canadian book that I have... and every one of you don't.

Canadian headline:

USA boy wins Canada CGC comic competition with single book. 'Murican Mic Drop. :sumo:

Don't you DARE forget about Alpha Flight!!!!

Jay

John Byrne drew half the comics published between 1980 and 1985.

Wolverine had a mini too.. :makepoint:

54656ef9-d7d7-4b60-b214-6ca14f34d54d_zpsitda2p64.jpg

Wolverines mini hasn't moved much in years. I can set my watch to what these go for. Punisher mini on the other hand, I used to see issues 2-5 go for $50-70, I think those days are gone... I probably see them for sale at a ratio of 1:10 compared to Wolverine's mini (shrug)

$50-70 an issue?

probably not per issue

Sorry meant CGC 9.8 $50-70/ea.

Wolverines mini hasn't moved much in years. I can set my watch to what these go for. Punisher mini on the other hand, I used to see issues 2-5 go for $50-70, I think those days are gone... I probably see them for sale at a ratio of 1:10 compared to Wolverine's mini (shrug)

$50-70 an issue?

probably not per issue

#2 punisher mini is usually in the $100s. #1 can be in the $250-300s. 3-5 do better than $50-$70 generally, but yes, are not triple digits yet usually.

Wolvie mini 9.8s are generally $150-$200 each.

So, interestingly, the Punisher 1 sells for more than WOlvie 1, but not the other issues.

So I'm guessing the Punisher mini was less anticipated than the Wolvie mini? I know we all bought 2 or 3 copies of the Wolvie mini in my little group of dorks.

$50-70 an issue?

probably not per issue

#2 punisher mini is usually in the $100s. #1 can be in the $250-300s. 3-5 do better than $50-$70 generally, but yes, are not triple digits yet usually.

So, interestingly, the Punisher 1 sells for more than WOlvie 1, but not the other issues.

So I'm guessing the Punisher mini was less anticipated than the Wolvie mini? I know we all bought 2 or 3 copies of the Wolvie mini in my little group of dorks.

The Punny 1 is oversized and it suffers from bindery tears top and bottom something fierce.

$50-70 an issue?

probably not per issue

Yeah or maybe the Wolvie run is more coveted? (shrug)

IMHO I'd rather have the punisher run on my wall, but I wouldn't consider either an investment at this point.

/StuporMan looks up census to see if there are any Punisher mini in 9.9 ... :insane:

Can't a book have bindery tears, printer's ink, be totally miswrapped (and, according to October, have 6-12 spine ticks) and still be a 9.8?

I call the tiny tears that occur at the top and bottom of spines "bindery tears" without knowing if they were the result of production or handling, so I'm not the guy to ask.

But yes, I've heard that they can be ignored by the graders as production related, sometimes/always/depending on the book?? Heck if I know.

(shrug)

$50-70 an issue?

probably not per issue

Yeah or maybe the Wolvie run is more coveted? (shrug)

IMHO I'd rather have the punisher run on my wall, but I wouldn't consider either an investment at this point.

/StuporMan looks up census to see if there are any Punisher mini in 9.9 ... :insane:

I think there's plenty of interest in both. Wolverine came out a few years earlier and has a bit broader appeal, but I think there are a lot of them. At shows in 94/95 I'd see dealers with stacks of gorgeous copies of 2 - 4 for $5 each willing to haggle. Dunno about #1.

What's the original go for in 9.8?

About $7000.

Yea, so 5% for an older reprint seems pretty good to me.

The ASM 129 9.8 is now over $10k in the CC auction.

$300 for a vintage reprint in 9.8 condition is a bargain.

-J.

Old Guard, say Hi to the New Guard. lol

(shrug) ASM 129 in high grade has always gone for $1000s and multiples of guide in low grade...it's like pumping Hulk 181 :eyeroll:

We were talking about Marvel Tales 106 CGC 9.8 selling for $301.50. :makepoint: Keep up young man, keep up! :preach:

Thanks everyone for following me over from the modern thread.

Batman #408 has gotten insanely hot over the past few minutes. It features the origin of Jason Todd. If you see one for less than $50, I would grab it.

Also, Deadworld #1 is scorching. I think there may be a TV show in the works. My source? The guy at the gas station was talking about a homeless guy that keeps peeing on the gas pumps at night. He didn't mention Deadworld getting a TV show, but it seemed like he wanted to. Maybe he's being extorted, and could only hint at that fact with his body language. (this was obvious)

Definitely buy either of these books if you see them.

Batman #408 has gotten insanely hot over the past few minutes. It features the origin of Jason Todd. If you see one for less than $50, I would grab it.

Also, Deadworld #1 is scorching. I think there may be a TV show in the works. My source? The guy at the gas station was talking about a homeless guy that keeps peeing on the gas pumps at night. He didn't mention Deadworld getting a TV show, but it seemed like he wanted to. Maybe he's being extorted, and could only hint at that fact with his body language. (this was obvious)

Links? I'm not seeing it.

Oh, it's happening.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEADWORLD-1-Zombie-CGC-9-8-WP-1986-Vincent-Locke-Horror-/400171905785?hash=item5d2c1ab2f9:m:mxG51N2hM6UkDt4iCjKGTcw

$100 for a 9.8 Deadworld

$80 for a 9.8 Batman #408

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-408-Jun-1987-DC-Cgc-9-8-White-Pages-Joker-Appearance-/191790225966?hash=item2ca7969a2e:g:w6EAAOSw14xWQoyI

Plus plenty of raw sales on the Batman #408 $10-$20.

I mean, these are obviously the hottest books on the planet.

I'll certainly be reminding everyone about them.

I'm not saying that I have a bunch of these, but I'm also not saying that I don't. I definitely do though. I'm glad since they are both scorching up the internet right now.

I think I'm going to start an appreciation thread about them.

Should I start one for each book, and then one for the two books together? 3 total threads? I don't want to burn down the entire internet.

lol

I sold a 9.6 #408 for $45 to someone recently. ;)

That's pretty hot! I'd check the moderns heating up thread for the latest update. There's been a sale for $200 (equivalent) on the Deadworld #1. No real news on Batman #408 though. Maybe it's cooling off.

lol

I sold a 9.6 #408 for $45 to someone recently. ;)