• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,818 posts in this topic

I believe that ASM #226 came out same month as PPSM 64.

They did: mikes's amazing world index, December 1981, newsstand.

***Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World Index page, one of my favorite sites***

ASM was not lighting the world on fire during that time, in fact many people enjoyed the stories in PPSM better. Cloak and Dagger were a big part of that.

hm

IN 1982, ASM was probably the best selling superhero comic book on the market.

It had a average print run 554,248; and an average paid circulation: 242,781 listed in issue #227.

According to Comichron, Batman had an average print run 275,830; and a total paid circulation of 108,234... ASM was outselling it almost 2.5X!

PPSM had an average print run 414,166; average paid circulation 171,839, so it was outselling Batman! (But not ASM).

A year or so later, after a few C&D stories, PPSM had an:

average print run 351,448; average paid circulation 172,290

and ASM had:

average print run 513,585; average paid circulation: 240,683

Basically not much difference.

So whereas there may have been some vocalized expression of enjoyment over those storylines in PPSM, the numbers show not much change in anything.

lol This is awesome.

Horse poo.

I don't know what book you're referring to WRT the 9.9 comment but nonetheless, I am able to grade a raw copper book at a 9.9.I am confident in my ability to discern the subtle difference(s) between a 9.8 and a 9.9, just as a seasoned collector should be able to.

I have 4 ridiculously sharp copies of Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme # 1 that I plan on submitting to CGC.It's been about a month since I looked at them but IIRC, I think I pegged 2 copies as clocking in at 9.8 and 2 copies at 9.9....after they were to be pressed.

All 4 copies have a defect that keeps them from hitting 9.8 or higher; about a one inch square of writing indentations.I am going to press these books out before sending them in and hell, I'd wager an easy $100 that 2 of the 4 come back as 9.9.

Whatever happened with this?

How many Benjamins were you on the hook for?

But he already pegged two for 9.9. Maybe CGC got it wrong? (shrug)

BTW, are there any pressers that will guarantee a 9.9? Maybe that's where he went wrong? :eyeroll:

nothing is guaranteed with pressing

Obviously you didn't see the rolling eyes. :eyeroll:

But he already pegged two for 9.9. Maybe CGC got it wrong? (shrug)

BTW, are there any pressers that will guarantee a 9.9? Maybe that's where he went wrong? :eyeroll:

nothing is guaranteed with pressing

lol

Apparently, nothing is guaranteed with sarcasm detection, either.

On a different note, if you could press your 9.8 to a 9.9, I guarantee I'll give you $100.

lol This is awesome.
Horse poo.

I don't know what book you're referring to WRT the 9.9 comment but nonetheless, I am able to grade a raw copper book at a 9.9.I am confident in my ability to discern the subtle difference(s) between a 9.8 and a 9.9, just as a seasoned collector should be able to.

I have 4 ridiculously sharp copies of Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme # 1 that I plan on submitting to CGC.It's been about a month since I looked at them but IIRC, I think I pegged 2 copies as clocking in at 9.8 and 2 copies at 9.9....after they were to be pressed.

All 4 copies have a defect that keeps them from hitting 9.8 or higher; about a one inch square of writing indentations.I am going to press these books out before sending them in and hell, I'd wager an easy $100 that 2 of the 4 come back as 9.9.

I never subbed any of them.

Still have all 4 books.Eventually, I'll press them and sub them.

In retrospect, I do admit that was a pretty foolhardy thing to say lol

lol This is awesome.
Horse poo.

:o , that's to say the least.

:gossip: not surprising though ;)

lol This is awesome.
Horse poo.

:o , that's to say the least.

:gossip: not surprising though ;)

:kidaround:

I remember the point that I was trying to make (that I trailed off of and failed miserably at making ) was that it is not impossible to find 9.9's copper books in the wild.

Of course, the DSSS#1's did have light impressions from writing $1.00 on the price stickers, so they likely wouldn't even hit 9.8's, without a spot press.

But daasamn, they were cherry copies.No spine tics...razor sharp corners...not a hint of fuzziness along the edges or light discoloration ( like you see in 90+% of the copies of this book)....not even any bindery tears :cloud9:

Gawdemmit, I will press n sub these books in the (somewhat) near future....may end up eating a lot of crow after the fact but I do honestly think a ( bracing myself for yet more taunts) a 9.9 is possible.

Course I'll probably get nothing but 9.8's.

P.S.

Loving that Seinfeld clip.

You are more likely...literally...to be hit by lightning than to find 9.9 copper books in the wild. Why?

1. CGC overprotects the 9.9 and 10 grades. This is most likely because they wanted to be taken seriously. Many, many books that deserve these grades are relegated to 9.8, and the 9.8 grade has possibly the single largest range of any grade on the scale. It is very, very difficult to get those grades, even when the books deserve them.

2. It takes less than a single slight stress or a slight bump to destroy a 9.9 potential. That means that, unless you find a collector who selected the best available copies when brand new and carefully stored them for decades ( :hi: ), you won't find any. Simply handling a book in a bag and a board is frequently enough to remove a book from 9.9 protential. Yes, that means CGC handling the books can and has knocked books out of 9.9 potential, as well as you simply packing the books up to send off.

When you combine those two, you'll find that finding "9.9s in the wild" is functionally impossible.

And if you don't believe me, look at the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of 9.8s I've posted in "this week back from CGC."

I've gotten TWO 9.9s (and one was a brand new book...We Stand On Guard) and SIX 10s.

The odds would have suggested I would have a handful more than that.

I don't sub my perfect books because of that.

You are more likely...literally...to be hit by lightning than to find 9.9 copper books in the wild. Why?

1. CGC overprotects the 9.9 and 10 grades. This is most likely because they wanted to be taken seriously. Many, many books that deserve these grades are relegated to 9.8, and the 9.8 grade has possibly the single largest range of any grade on the scale. It is very, very difficult to get those grades, even when the books deserve them.

2. It takes less than a single slight stress or a slight bump to destroy a 9.9 potential. That means that, unless you find a collector who selected the best available copies when brand new and carefully stored them for decades ( :hi: ), you won't find any. Simply handling a book in a bag and a board is frequently enough to remove a book from 9.9 protential. Yes, that means CGC handling the books can and has knocked books out of 9.9 potential, as well as you simply packing the books up to send off.

When you combine those two, you'll find that finding "9.9s in the wild" is functionally impossible.

Although - and this may be the exception that proves the rule - the legendary New Mutants 98 10.0 was found in the wild. Foolkiller pulled it out of a box at a show.

Although - and this may be the exception that proves the rule - the legendary New Mutants 98 10.0 was found in the wild. Foolkiller pulled it out of a box at a show.

Im fairly certain it was pressed though.... ?