• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

Horse poo.

I don't know what book you're referring to WRT the 9.9 comment but nonetheless, I am able to grade a raw copper book at a 9.9.I am confident in my ability to discern the subtle difference(s) between a 9.8 and a 9.9, just as a seasoned collector should be able to.

I have 4 ridiculously sharp copies of Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme # 1 that I plan on submitting to CGC.It's been about a month since I looked at them but IIRC, I think I pegged 2 copies as clocking in at 9.8 and 2 copies at 9.9....after they were to be pressed.

All 4 copies have a defect that keeps them from hitting 9.8 or higher; about a one inch square of writing indentations.I am going to press these books out before sending them in and hell, I'd wager an easy $100 that 2 of the 4 come back as 9.9.

strange-thong_zpsf0dc1f6c.jpg

I am confident in my ability to discern the subtle difference(s) between a 9.8 and a 9.9

Horse poo.

I don't know what book you're referring to WRT the 9.9 comment but nonetheless, I am able to grade a raw copper book at a 9.9.I am confident in my ability to discern the subtle difference(s) between a 9.8 and a 9.9, just as a seasoned collector should be able to.

I have 4 ridiculously sharp copies of Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme # 1 that I plan on submitting to CGC.It's been about a month since I looked at them but IIRC, I think I pegged 2 copies as clocking in at 9.8 and 2 copies at 9.9....after they were to be pressed.

All 4 copies have a defect that keeps them from hitting 9.8 or higher; about a one inch square of writing indentations.I am going to press these books out before sending them in and hell, I'd wager an easy $100 that 2 of the 4 come back as 9.9.

You wanna go a $1000??? :wishluck:

Jim

Edited by cgcworld

Horse poo.

strange-thong_zpsf0dc1f6c.jpg

I am confident in my ability to discern the subtle difference(s) between a 9.8 and a 9.9

That was such a strange, strange time. I mean, really, who did Marvel think were their audience, to be publishing beefcake drawings...?

:shrug:

Its not always about who your audience is. Sometimes its about who you want your audience to be....

I will post my results but I have about 50 other books to have graded, before these 4 and I'm not in a rush as the DS movie won't be out for a while.

Apparent hilarity of my posting aside, my point was that if you KNOW how to grade CONSERVATIVELY and can do so without bias........ you should not feel skittish about assigning a 9.9 grade to a book.

I will post my results but I have about 50 other books to have graded, before these 4 and I'm not in a rush as the DS movie won't be out for a while.

Apparent hilarity of my posting aside, my point was that if you KNOW how to grade CONSERVATIVELY and can do so without bias........ you should not feel skittish about assigning a 9.9 grade to a book.

Nope, still funny :roflmao:

Care to put your money where your mouth is like you said before? $100 that 2 of your 4 copies will come back 9.9?

Wow. :facepalm:

if you KNOW how to grade CONSERVATIVELY and can do so without bias........ you should not feel skittish about assigning a 9.9 grade to a book.

Prepare to book more action than Las Vegas on Super Bowl weekend.

That was such a strange, strange time. I mean, really, who did Marvel think were their audience, to be publishing beefcake drawings...?

:shrug:

Yea, what were they thinking? Nobody would do that today.

2e13d4f6-497a-47c2-869a-78870f2841e3_zpsdb3c5fb0.jpg

Edited by ygogolak

Ugh.

Seriously, die hard collectors who have been grading books on their own accord for what I would presumably say is at least 25 years for each of the board members who have replied to this....should be able to confidently assign ANY grade to a modern age book.That was my original point.

I was using all that DS # 1 conjecture as an anecdote but YES, I will back what I said with a $100 bet.There is a chance that I could be wrong, of course but nonetheless, I stand behind my grading.

My original post noted that I had not looked at the books in a while and they needed to be pressed, in order to fetch a 9.9....at least 1 of them should get a 9.9, possibly 2.

After I press them and there is no trace of any indentation and if they look 9.9 to me.Then yes, I'll put my $100 where my mouth is.

"

Originally Posted By: CopperAgeKids

Horse poo.

"

I have a few books out of my entire collection that I can safely say "I believe" them to be 9.9.

My submissions have never garnered more than a CGC 9.8. Of course I've never sent in my mythical 9.9+ books.

I have a few books out of my entire collection that I can safely say "I believe" them to be 9.9.

My submissions have never garnered more than a CGC 9.8. Of course I've never sent in my mythical 9.9+ books.

I've submitted a 9.9 and received a 9.9. :whistle: