• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

9 hours ago, divad said:

Your buyers are insane.  Even if the book comes back 9.8 they would lose money on the deal in most cases.  I’d love to see how many you sell each month but with 10 accounts it would be too much trouble to figure it out.

They are totally nuts, but it works for him. Cost wise its cheap. You get a book for $1 and its high grade. You stick on ebay and let it run for a year. What's that cost $.30 a month on the listing or even free depending on the scenario? (Somewhere around there) It finally sells for lets say $30.00. Take off your 15% + $3.60  for a year of listing. Seller comes out way ahead.

No one gets to tell you how much to charge for a book, although honestly that Adv Supes 500 is insane, but hey somebody bought it. Its not how I try to price my books, but it works for the seller no denying it.

Mycomicshop does the same thing with consignment sales. Id argue it makes them look bad, but a sale is a sale I guess.

Edited by fastballspecial

6 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Your buyers are insane.  Even if the book comes back 9.8 they would lose money on the deal in most cases.  I’d love to see how many you sell each month but with 10 accounts it would be too much trouble to figure it out.

What's the rush? :insane:

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

They are totally nuts, but it works for him. Cost wise its cheap. You get a book for (less than zero)$1 and its ultra high grade. You stick on ebay and let it run for a year (or more). What's that cost $.30 a month on the listing or even free. depending on the scenario? (Somewhere around there) It finally sells for lets say $30.00. Take off your 15% + $3.60  for eBay and PayPal fees a year of listing. Seller comes out way ahead.

No one gets to tell you how much to charge for a book, although honestly that Adv Supes 500 is insane, but hey somebody bought it. Its not how I try to price my books, but it works for the seller no denying it.

Mycomicshop does the same thing with consignment sales. Id argue it makes them look bad, but a sale is a sale I guess.

Fixed that for ya! :takeit:

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

I see books in worse shape than these at comic shows for the same prices Divad is offering them for in better shape.  

You have seen someone trying to sell a Legends 5 for $32??  That guy would get laughed out of the building in Ohio.

On 11/6/2017 at 10:54 PM, divad said:
On 11/6/2017 at 6:40 PM, fastballspecial said:

They are totally nuts, but it works for him. Cost wise its cheap. You get a book for (less than zero)$1 and its ultra high grade. You stick on ebay and let it run for a year (or more). What's that cost $.30 a month on the listing or even free. depending on the scenario? (Somewhere around there) It finally sells for lets say $30.00. Take off your 15% + $3.60  for eBay and PayPal fees a year of listing. Seller comes out way ahead.

Less than zero? Someone paid you to have these?

Oh, and MGN #4 is heating up (again).

48 minutes ago, manetteska said:
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:54 PM, divad said:
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:40 PM, fastballspecial said:

Well lets say you bought a long box for $20.

You took the keys and sold them right away for $40.

How much do the other books in the box cost you?  I would argue its less than zero

5 minutes ago, revat said:

How much do the other books in the box cost you?  I would argue its less than zero

I would argue it's either:

$20/300 (or however many in a longbox) = $0.067

or

$0 if you are determining the cost of a book after the fact

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

Darn right it is - and justifiably so!  Killer black magazine with a bunch of 1st appearances can't be beat.

10 hours ago, manetteska said:

I would argue it's either:

$20/300 (or however many in a longbox) = $0.067

or

$0 if you are determining the cost of a book after the fact

Enh. If you buy a long box for $50 and sell four books for $75, I would agree with Divad that the rest of the books have a negative cost.

14 hours ago, 1Cool said:

You have seen someone trying to sell a Legends 5 for $32??  That guy would get laughed out of the building in Ohio.

I don't do buildings lol . . . but it shows that you really don't understand the marketplace.  :grin: 

Is it nicer than this book?  Hands down! :sumo:

Edited by divad

11 hours ago, revat said:

What about time for listing approximately 300 books? 

Assuming you list 296 books at a super inflated price like in the Divad example, you would likely move 1-5 books a year at that price with a BIN that high

I personally wouldn't bother with a long box with 40$ worth of keys. But that's just my opinion

13 hours ago, manetteska said:

:insane: More or less :insane: BTW, WTF is MGN #4?

Edited by divad

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

What about time for listing approximately 300 books? 

Assuming you list 296 books at a super inflated price like in the Divad example, you would likely move 1-5 books a year at that price with a BIN that high

I personally wouldn't bother with a long box with 40$ worth of keys. But that's just my opinion

Fyi, I usually list about 400 to 500 books at a time (or at least that's my goal). I sell anywhere from between 200-400 books a year at my "super-inflated prices" (quoted because I disagree with you). My sales support my pricing model - Thank you very much. :grin:

7 hours ago, divad said:

Fyi, I usually list about 400 to 500 books at a time (or at least that's my goal). I sell anywhere from between 200-400 books a year at my "super-inflated prices" (quoted because I disagree with you). My sales support my pricing model - Thank you very much. :grin:

you move 400 high graded drek a year???

show me  sold listings and I'll eat my words up

10 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Enh. If you buy a long box for $50 and sell four books for $75, I would agree with Divad that the rest of the books have a negative cost.

So the purchase price of a book is determined once you sell other stuff to cover it? OK...

8 hours ago, divad said:

Everyone sells differently and has different expectations.  If you can sell high grade raws for about CGC graded prices - great job and I see why you stay the course.  I usually have to get the books graded to get close to graded prices so I sell the ungraded at a discount and sell 200-300 books a month.  I'd get buried in books if I sold a long box a year so I go a different route - both ways make money and are not wrong. 

10 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I disagree.  The cost is set.  You spent $50 so the cost is $50 or $50/# of books if you want to look at cost per book.  Now how much you make as a total or per books is up to how much they sell for and the 4/$75 is of course included in that equation.

10 hours ago, divad said:

I don't do buildings lol . . . but it shows that you really don't understand the marketplace.  :grin: 

Is it nicer than this book?  Hands down! :sumo:

Yours could be better - hard to tell but this one is graded so we know that one is a 9.6.  And none of CGC copies of that book have sold for what yours sold for even though its in a case that cost at least $20.