• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, darkstar said:

something is rotten in Denmark here.

Yeah, I mean...yeah. There's just no way, right? Please tell me there's no way. I don't want to live in a world where this sort of thing makes sense.

10 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, I mean...yeah. There's just no way, right? Please tell me there's no way. I don't want to live in a world where this sort of thing makes sense.

Stop making sense, making sense! (D. Byrne and his band of gypsies):bigsmile:

On 10/8/2017 at 3:39 PM, divad said:

Of course the flagship title was higher, but it's not like they were in different tiers at the time. During the peak of the industry, ASM was well above Web, but that was years later.

Statements of Ownership from the June 1988 issues (ASM 301 & Web 39):

Avg. print run: 469,913 (ASM) 437,255 (Web)

Avg. distribution: 284,824 (ASM) 243,007 (Web)

I'm not a student of these numbers, so this is an honest question: From an accounting standpoint wouldn't there be a natural tendency (for any business) to inflate the "print" (production) numbers and deflate the "distribution" (income) numbers? hm

When comics were still regularly available through subscriptions directly through the publisher, once a year they were required to publish a whole bunch of information about print runs, distribution, returns, damages, etc., to maintain a certain mailing rate. Not sure how much scrutiny any of those numbers were faced with, but I'm going to guess that there wasn't much of an advantage in falsifying those numbers, against any potential repercussions if the falsification was revealed.

On 10/1/2017 at 11:04 PM, Comicdave said:
On 10/1/2017 at 11:48 AM, Kevin76 said:

I sold this, It's a super tough book in 9.8. I offered it to a board member when I first got it for $350 and it was on his want list, said it wasn't centered enough, so I put it on eBay. Took about a month and half to sell.  Sold a 9.4 for $99.95 same day as I listed it.   

People who say copper is junk are really missing the boat, there's gold in them copper mines!  

Are there some common printing defects for this book? Why is it tough in grade? It's not a black cover.

I've been hunting Web #36s for a while because it was one of the few villain first appearances that hadn't seen any love yet. I've never found any I'd confidently call NM, let alone slabworthy. I'm starting to suspect it was one of those books that was practically printed in VF. The copy I bought at my LCS back in the day is about a VF+, and I was a picky shopper (my off the same rack ASM #300 came back CGC 9.8 unpressed). 

12 hours ago, mysterio said:

I've been hunting Web #36s for a while because it was one of the few villain first appearances that hadn't seen any love yet. I've never found any I'd confidently call NM, let alone slabworthy. I'm starting to suspect it was one of those books that was practically printed in VF. The copy I bought at my LCS back in the day is about a VF+, and I was a picky shopper (my off the same rack ASM #300 came back CGC 9.8 unpressed). 

Picked these up from a dealer at a local show today. One of the 10 MIGHT be a 9.4, but the rest aren’t even close. You may be on to something here......

1EA57E7E-1295-4ABA-A5DC-983FF1D37AE0.jpeg

22 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Picked these up from a dealer at a local show today. One of the 10 MIGHT be a 9.4, but the rest aren’t even close. You may be on to something here......

1EA57E7E-1295-4ABA-A5DC-983FF1D37AE0.jpeg

So what defects are keeping the other 9 books from the NM range? Stress lines along the spine, bent corners??

2 hours ago, Comicdave said:

So what defects are keeping the other 9 books from the NM range? Stress lines along the spine, bent corners??

Color-breaking spine stresses. Notice that 9 of them are newsstand versions, which probably has something to do with it, even though the nicest is a newsie.

48 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Color-breaking spine stresses. Notice that 9 of them are newsstand versions, which probably has something to do with it, even though the nicest is a newsie.

This is what I keep finding as well. Plenty of healthy spine stress.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

If you go in General, the sky is falling as usual and eveyone is getting out. Yet books like these are hitting all time highs. (shrug)

Tank Girl #1 CGC 9.8 $585

Transformers #59 CGC 9.8 $350

what is the significance of Transformers #59?

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

Probably just doesn't come up that often. Only 6 9.8s on the census.

I was wondering that, I know there are some really hard to come by issues in this run. Skinny White Boy on the boards had a nice run he was working on for a few years.

On 10/26/2017 at 11:57 AM, ygogolak said:

If you go in General, the sky is falling as usual and eveyone is getting out. Yet books like these are hitting all time highs. (shrug)

Tank Girl #1 CGC 9.8 $585

Transformers #59 CGC 9.8 $350

I've had people just buying stuff out of my crappy little 50 free listing store lately at whatever price I have, no best offers, it's weird, I feel guilty.

Finally got around to checking out my copy of Web of Spider-man #36. It looks to be a solid 9.6. No stress lines or ticks on the spine. The only thing I see keeping it from a 9.8 is the cover has some overhang at the the bottom right corner that folds over a bit.