• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neal Adams has out-dumbed Skateman. Is this old news?

27 posts in this topic

I subscribe to eSkeptic which is put out by the same people who publish Skeptic Magazine. Today they criticized a Neal Adams video on the Expanding Earth. The video has over a million hits so some of you must have seen it. If not you can find it here.

The article is harsh, lumps his theory in with flat earth and creationism and tells him to stick to comics. It also has a link to a critical video which can be found here.

. It is called "Expanding Earth My Derriere" or something like that.

Thanks. I knew I was behind the times but I didn't know I was out by thirty years or more.

I am about to come up with my own crackpot theory but I need a good animator. Any volunteers? Anybody? Here it is-- People who are brilliant at one thing sometimes assume they are brilliant at all things.

The critics say the theory goes back to the 19th Century. One critic points out that today anyone with a sauve manner and a computer can send their crackpot notions out to millions. Years ago you needed a book and a publisher.

What the heck. I can let it slide. He gave us Batman goes to Rutland.

He doesn't seem to be collecting money for, say, an expedition so that he can prove the theory, so that is a plus for him.

There is no reason for anyone but comic fans and geologists to give a care, so he is not pretending the theory to be something we really have to know. That is another plus.

He has risen to the forefront in a field of misguided souls. Most people never get to the forefront of anything so he is showing acuity in promotion if not in geology.

I think of it as news for this forum because he is one of the greatest artists in the history of comics.

I am amazed at his gall and foolishness. It reminds me a bit of the great SF editor, John W. Campbell, acknowledged through that media as a brilliant man, being taken in by L.Ron Hubbard's pseudo-scientific theories.

Another big plus is that while he is working on this, he can't put out more issues of Skateman.

I subscribe to eSkeptic which is put out by the same people who publish Skeptic Magazine. Today they criticized a Neal Adams video on the Expanding Earth. The video has over a million hits so some of you must have seen it. If not you can find it here.

The article is harsh, lumps his theory in with flat earth and creationism and tells him to stick to comics. It also has a link to a critical video which can be found here.

Old news. This Board ran him offa here 7 years ago over this topic:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=16925&Number=311803#Post311803

Old news. This Board ran him offa here 7 years ago over this topic:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=16925&Number=311803#Post311803

That is some funny stuff.

I got a response from Neal Adams as follows:

"Better rethink your position. Skateman still has a multitude of fans, and it sold 80,000 copies!Nor was there anything stupid about Skateman, except , perhaps the title. I sign many copies at each convention that I attend."

I think that shows wit and class. It doesn't change my view of Skateman or of Expanding Earth but I am impressed by anyone who would go to a site that has had over a million hits and restate his case, even in a quick and roundabout manner. This is the guy who defended Seigel and Shuster, Dave Cockrum and gave us a hundred comics that we love. What a guy.

Neal showed up here and had a lively debate for awhile. fun reading. but kinda sad to experience a hero getting too drunk at a party and totally in love with his own genius

Why should he be any different to the rest of us? lol