• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This sucks about spiderman

226 posts in this topic

There are still plenty of interesting Spidey stories that could be told, if the people at Marvel had the balls to do it.

Put some angst back into Peter Parker's life, gave him some life changing experiences and see how those affect his character.

Oh my. I am glad that I do not read modern comics. What a silly story and plot. They really are desperate.

Or high.

You know, at first, I was intrigued by the idea, but the more I think about it, the more I think this storyline has to be one of the worst piece of fan fic tripe to come out of the big 2. This one tops the deal with the devil and what they did to Gwen Stacy with Osborne. There use to be a time when Marvel was considered the company with the more realistic stable of characters. Marvel has all but shattered that illusion with the recent stunts on Spider-Man. Doc Ock simply would not embrace Spider-Man's life and "turn good" after a lifetime of trying to destroy him. Peter Parker would not give up on fighting for what is right. There are so many reasons not to like Peter Parker after OMD but now you have even more reasons to despise the character.

I know this is Marvel maximizing the press and fan outrage to sell as many copies as they can. It's unfortunate that it takes silly stories and the death of characters to sell comics. It's like they believe the more improbable the storyline is, the more today's fans will eat it up. Unfortunately, sales proves they are correct.

And despite the constant insistence that this status quo is here to stay, we know it isn't. First of all, there is revenue to be made from movies starring Peter Parker. Second, what would an origin story for this character read like now? Well, you see, this teenager was bit by a spider, gained powers, and dressed up as Spider-Man. Over the years he fought a brilliant scientist, Otto Octavius, turned evil due to a lab accident which turned him into Doctor Octopus. Then they switched bodies, Parker's mind died along with Octavius' body, and Octavius' mind in Peter Parker's body decided he needs to continue operating as a "superior" Spider-Man.

It's really sad this is what it takes to sell Spider-Man comics, one of the most recognizable comic characters in the world.

Just picked up #700, went to both my LCS's, not sure if it was just their shipments, but all the books had bad corners. I dont think from shipping, looks like from folding at printers, due to thickness. If that's the case, looks like CGC 9.8's will be tough. Any one else notice this??

My copies are fine same with the 2 variants I picked up. Total of 7 books from 3 shops.

You travelled to three comic shops just to find variants? Really??

I wish I had that much time on my hands.

All 3 are within a 5 mile radius of each other, did it over my lunch break and still had time to eat ;)

Anyone in here actually READ the story? I have not, but I hold all judgement until after the story is actually at least perused. I don't really care WHAT they do with any of the bigs in the DC or MU. I care how it's done. Is it quality writing? Well-crafted art? If it's not, it will go the way of the landfill like all the other garbage. They're just going to reboot him after this storyline runs its course anyways.

And I think a lot of people on the boards are nostalgic and generally in denial about a a lot of the comics that came out in the golden/silver/bronze age. Sure, I love to collect 'em. But, if you actually crack the book and read it, it's generally garbage just like the books they're pumping out now. Only it was garbage aimed at an even younger audience which makes it even harder for a grown man to enjoy, especially since I did not grow up in that era.

Sure, there are exceptions. Some good stories with serious writers and artists were crafted. But I would argue that they are just that: exceptions rather than the rule. Just because you read it when you were ten does NOT make it a timeless classic.

I know this is Marvel maximizing the press and fan outrage to sell as many copies as they can. It's unfortunate that it takes silly stories and the death of characters to sell comics. It's like they believe the more improbable the storyline is, the more today's fans will eat it up. Unfortunately, sales proves they are correct.

As a point of reference, sales for ASM are far less than what you'd expect for the flagship character of the company -- October's numbers don't even have ASM in the top-20, with its October figures sitting at right about 58,000 (putting it barely in front of a book like Aquaman, a second-tier character -- sorry, Aquaman fans -- who has never been able to hold their own title in the past for all that long). While ASM got a brief bump from the ridiculous One More Day fiasco, that quickly wore-off, and the sales numbers now are less than Straczynski's were for much (if not all) of his run (the last pre-OMD issue sold 106,000+ copies, as did ASM in every month in 2007, when the book was a top-10 seller -- it was also a top-10 seller in every month in 2006 as well, save for one month).

While some of that can be explained away by the fact that the industry as a whole has seen dropping sales figures, the ASM drop over the last half-decade has been more extreme than many other titles (11 DC titles, for example, are selling higher numbers than they did 5 years ago -- though, it might not be a surprise that many of the other books which also show significant 5-year drops in sales are other Marvel titles). IMO, this can be attributed to Quesada's butchering of the character to facilitate the end of the marriage, a bunch of mediocre stories, and the ridiculous double-shipping of the title to squeeze money out of the readership (leading more than one ASM reader to dump the book for economic reasons, if nothing else). The current nonsense is only the cherry on top of the mess sundae that the current Marvel leadership has turned Spidey into.

I'm sure ASM 700 (and the crappy title they're replacing it with temporarily) will sell well-enough, but it likely won't take long (a year or so) to see the sales number dip right back down -- and even below -- the current level the title is selling now. That will be because Marvel hasn't made any headway into actually bringing new people into the world of reading comics, despite the strength of their characters on the big screen. And garbage like they put out now, coupled with nonsensical renumbering, too many titles, too many crappy writers and artists, endless gimmicks and variants, and increasing cover prices are chipping away the older readers like myself and we're not being replaced.

So, does this mean that Spider-Ock can now control Dr. Ock's tentacles? Because then he'd actually have 8 limbs and satisfy whatever urge there might be to make the character even more Spideresque.

Which is to say, that would still be really, really stupid, but at least they could argue a narrative rationale, albeit as I said a stupid one

So, does this mean that Spider-Ock can now control Dr. Ock's tentacles? Because then he'd actually have 8 limbs and satisfy whatever urge there might be to make the character even more Spideresque.

Which is to say, that would still be really, really stupid, but at least they could argue a narrative rationale, albeit as I said a stupid one

All eight-armed Spideys should be blitchslapped. :sumo:

AmazingSpider-Man101.jpg

Yeah, but even Gil Kane couldn't make anatomical sense of that version of Spidey. And think how much deodorant he would go through in a given month; it's just not practical

Just picked up #700, went to both my LCS's, not sure if it was just their shipments, but all the books had bad corners. I dont think from shipping, looks like from folding at printers, due to thickness. If that's the case, looks like CGC 9.8's will be tough. Any one else notice this??

and sadly, this refrain has replaced the hokey pokey for being "what's it's all about" :facepalm:

i have to agree with what some others here have said. This, to me anyway, just reeks of Joey Q.....

It wasn't enough that he bent over the fans with the OMD storyline, but now they completely trash their flagship character for the last 50 years.

I don't know what kind of hookers and blow they take on those "editorial retreats" but i wants me some of that!

If Wolverine #35 can get 9.8s for books with glaring spine damage this book will be no different.

All Spidey 700's should get a "NG" because of the busted story inside.