• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide?

21 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've got another long-absent returnee question for you. I was out of the hobby for 20 years, and when I left, the above entitled Grading Guide had just come out. It's a first edition with the Flash on the cover, and it's copyrighted 1992.

I'm curious how/if the old Overstreet 100-point system described in the old book reconciles with the current 10-point system. Are the standards consistent, such that a former 92 is pretty consistent with the current CGC 9.2?

Also, I'm idly curious about what caused the 1992 system to be abolished in favor of the new system, as it seemed a lot of thought went into the Overstreet system.

Thanks!

There is a newer Overstreet Guide, from around 2003. It rendered the older one obsolete.

And it is only available second hand at exorbitant prices :cry:

I have a 2nd edition and love it. Use it all the time.

I even have an extra copy... hm

Honestly the biggest problem with the 100 point system is that if people still fight over a 6.0 vs a 6.5 imagine arguing over a 8.7 vs a 8.8. There is too much subjectivity in grading as it is to make a 100 point system viable. When people only argue a .5 difference in a grade I consider it a consensus. lol

The best way to tell if you are a good grader is to get feedback here after you sell a book to a boardie and either get hammered or a :)

Or you could put your book in the PGM thread and ask for opinions and then compare those to the grade you gave it beforehand. Might be appreciated by the buyer a little more. :)

I have both editions, 1st and 3rd. 1st edition is obsolete. The 3rd is fine and maybe worth picking up second hand. I use it now and again.

Twisty what about the 2nd? Have you had a chance to peruse it? Can you compare it to the 3rd?

I haven't actually used or seen the second edition. I took a long break from collecting and when I got back into it the 3rd was already out. I find it matches up pretty well. I've even resubbed some books I thought were under graded based on the guide and got upgrades.

I have both editions, 1st and 3rd. 1st edition is obsolete. The 3rd is fine and maybe worth picking up second hand. I use it now and again.

Twisty what about the 2nd? Have you had a chance to peruse it? Can you compare it to the 3rd?

I think... the 2nd ed. got a little more love than the 3rd? But subjective of course...

There are a few Amazon reviews for both you can check out...

But my bottom line, if the 2nd and 3rd are more or less a wash...

You can buy a used copy of the 2nd ed at half the price... but still very pricey

The 3rd ed prices are crazy (shrug)

---------------------

The grading structures have always changed. They will always change. They will always change in a manner that allows a person with a comic to charge more for it than what the old grading guidelines allowed. Typically this involves tightening the standards. As this makes it more difficult for a retailer to buy comics cheap and sell for a profit, something in the grading criteria WILL change.

Now that I think about it, that may be why the grader's notes aren't free anymore. If you really know what's wrong with a book, you might not want it.

DG

Excellent points. Thanks all! I'll troll ebay for a 3rd edition.

Spend lots of time in the grading forum here. Grade some of the books and compare your grade to others. Scan up a few of your books and put them up for grading and once again, compare your grade to others.

Keep your eye out for a grading contest here, they are a lot of fun and there are often prizes.

Welcome to the boards.