• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First 3 Watchmen covers in Feb HA

154 posts in this topic

I can appreciate the historic value of these, but artistically these covers are a bit meh to me.

These covers were available about 4-5 years ago as a set, and almost sold. There's a story behind it, but not worth getting into. At the time, I remeber seeing them and deciding that many are historic but not worth it artistically, with the exception of the #1 and maybe a couple others. So, as a set it became a problem in terms of valuing and pricing. Individually, as heritage is doing, should be a different story. I'll be passing, as the interiors do so much more for me than the covers (Watchmen was very much about the story, and artistic storytelling (panel layouts, composition, perfecting every detail, and the covers therefore don't do it for me). But, surely iconic, and I'm sure the lucky winners will be happy!

Yes, it was 3 years ago. At the time, they were shopped privately as a set. Only one collector was interested enough in them as a set to step up. (Unfortunately for the buyer, the deal went sideways.) The price at the time was a record-setter. Now, it'd be a "bargain".

The covers are most interesting to me as a set, but no doubt they'll realize more when auctioned individually. Over the years, I've come to appreciate them for NOT being typical comic book covers (with these covers acting as both the first panel of each issue and representing the main theme of each issue). So spare as they are, as a WM fan, I sure wouldn't mind having one. For what they'll likely go for, though, I'm happy to have a page or two instead.

Agreed.

These covers would definitely be in my living room rather than my art room purely because of the conversation they would generate rather than being eye candy in the more traditional sense. The cover to #1 is something that I've had in mind for a few years and should be interesting to see how high it actually goes. 2013 is off to an interesting start, I have a feeling we'll start to see some pretty crazy prices.

These are iconic, so they'll sell for a bunch, but I always HATED the art for the series. In my opinion, the only reason this series was so great was the story.

I think that was/is a common opinion. The art certainly isn't flashy. It is, at first glance, workmanlike...there's nothing obviously "sexy" about it to readers who are used to theatrics (splash pages and the like) on the typical comics page.

But for those who study the book, the art is a revelation. It is integral to the story. It does not exist merely to serve the -script. I'll post some links later (am at the airport typing on my phone right now). I equate it to CITIZEN KANE. Unless you really dig in, you won't understand why it has the reputation it does. Those who have (dug in), totally get it.

Strictly from an OA collector's POV, the pages are beautiful in person.

I am probably way in the minority here but I didn't care for the watchmen series when it came out (although I bought it). I care even less for the artwork but I definitely wish I had a few pages to sell !

Its the one Moore series I never cared for

if my guesses are even halfway correct I'd sure like to be in Hari Naidu's shoes as I'd take MM15 over any of them and it wasn't that long ago hari got that mm15 on heritage :cloud9:

Do you mean the MM #15 cover? My understanding is that it was bought by an European collector. I know Hari cleaned up on the interiors, but don't think he got the cover. At least not at the time.

That's correct. I have a lot of interior MM art, including 4 of the best pages from issue 15, but did not go for the cover. In retrospect, maybe I should have, as it's been a bit of a regret for me, but at the time I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on the cover and all the pages I wanted.

Oops my apologies. Replace 15 cover with 15 dps :cloud9:

Guess I`m going to go and have that mid-life crisis after all.

Watchmen #1 is comic art that I would actually hang in my living room. Too bad it`s only 10 X 15.

Good luck!!

Any other guesses? I may have been waay off but the rest of you are just chicken :insane:

After some of my big fails at guessing prices in the past, I am not sure if I should even try, but what the heck.

#1 cover $125k - $150k

#2 cover $45k - $60k

#3 cover $29k

Any other guesses? I may have been waay off but the rest of you are just chicken :insane:

$101,750 for the #1 cover. Tim won't win it, because he will come to his senses by February. Plus, I've been in his living room and, with the view he has, the WM #1 cover would only detract from it.

$101,750 for the #1 cover. Tim won't win it, because he will come to his senses by February. Plus, I've been in his living room and, with the view he has, the WM #1 cover would only detract from it.

$101,750 is a good over/under -- I'll take the over.

$101,750 is a good over/under -- I'll take the over.

That a precise amount! I'll take the over though.

$101,750 for the #1 cover.

Is that including or excluding shipping cost?

lol

Just a couple of years ago, $50K was an almost inconceivable number for #1. Now the over/under is 2X, with most picking the over. Wow.

lol

Just a couple of years ago, $50K was an almost inconceivable number for #1. Now the over/under is 2X, with most picking the over. Wow.

That was before the McFarlane auction. Hey, get while the gettin's good. There is certainly no guarantee that these prices continue going upward and so now certainly seems like an ideal time to sell.

lol

That was before the McFarlane auction. Hey, get while the gettin's good. There is certainly no guarantee that these prices continue going upward and so now certainly seems like an ideal time to sell.

Well, being that these are out of the Shamus collection, I think the decision to sell was made prior to those McFarlanes being sold. It was just a matter of timing and structure.

I like them better as a set of 12. This was an innovative set of covers in showing so little, whereas comic covers traditionally attempt to promise more than the comic can ever deliver. In other words their greatness lies in their slightness. More important as part of comic graphic design history than comic art history. That said, my personal pick would be number three. It evokes Rorschach and the real unease of the book, whereas #2 is corny and #1 strikes me as sort of unpleasantly drawn.

375K--75K--70K

Aaron

Ugh I can't stand #3 :) Different strokes for different folks I guess :)

That being said, thanks for the guesses! Nice to know I am not the only one in the stratosphere now ;):insane: It was getting lonely up here! lol

lol

Well, being that these are out of the Shamus collection, I think the decision to sell was made prior to those McFarlanes being sold. It was just a matter of timing and structure.

Shamus only consigned additional pieces after the success of the first auction.