• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The... Young Avengers???

61 posts in this topic

As BOC and Khaos have already stated, Vertigo is where to find the great books of today.

I've already recommended a few titles to you (Preacher comes to mind 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif), but you seem content to whine about the lack of quality that Marvel continues to produce. Why don't you make the switch???

I plan to pick up a few of these but a wholesale switch just isn't in the cards. I wouldn't call it whinning, just venting my displeasure with some of the junk they are producing. Hopefully someone at Marvel is reading these boards and some of this sinks in. Just because Marvel is making some bad moves with series I have enjoyed for 30 years doesn't mean I'm going to switch and stop buying them.

I am so glad I don't buy Moderns anymore. I'd rather burn my money than support this kind of crapola. 893applaud-thumb.gif

JC sums it up best. I still purchase a select amount of moderns but I can see myself moving away from them (again) because Marvel has no leadership, weak artists and even worst writers.

So stop reading [!@#%^&^] Marvels [edit to add] exclusively.

Ahhh...Rob, you are a wise man. thumbsup2.gif

I am so glad I don't buy Moderns anymore. I'd rather burn my money than support this kind of crapola. 893applaud-thumb.gif

JC sums it up best. I still purchase a select amount of moderns but I can see myself moving away from them (again) because Marvel has no leadership, weak artists and even worst writers.

So stop reading [!@#%^&^] Marvels [edit to add] exclusively.

Ahhh...Rob, you are a wise man. thumbsup2.gif

In the land of the blind,a one-eyed man would be king

As BOC and Khaos have already stated, Vertigo is where to find the great books of today.

I've already recommended a few titles to you (Preacher comes to mind 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif), but you seem content to whine about the lack of quality that Marvel continues to produce. Why don't you make the switch???

I plan to pick up a few of these but a wholesale switch just isn't in the cards. I wouldn't call it whinning, just venting my displeasure with some of the junk they are producing. Hopefully someone at Marvel is reading these boards and some of this sinks in. Just because Marvel is making some bad moves with series I have enjoyed for 30 years doesn't mean I'm going to switch and stop buying them.

What superhero books does Vertigo publish? BTW, I bought the first Preacher TPB to see what the fuss was about. It was interesting, but not something I would pick up regularly. It just wasn't that good to rave about like I hear so much.

What superhero books does Vertigo publish? BTW, I bought the first Preacher TPB to see what the fuss was about. It was interesting, but not something I would pick up regularly. It just wasn't that good to rave about like I hear so much.

Superhero boos that Vertigo published...hmmm.... there was "Seaguy"! Heh. Oh man... well, they can't ALL be gold, eh?

If you're looking for superhero books, Vertigo probably isn't the way to go. I like the Vertigo stuff because it's NOT superhero stuff. I hate to say that nothing more can be done with a genre or medium, but the superhero stuff is just in "recycle" mode at this point, IMO.

Superhero boos that Vertigo published...hmmm.... there was "Seaguy"! Heh. Oh man... well, they can't ALL be gold, eh?

If you're looking for superhero books, Vertigo probably isn't the way to go. I like the Vertigo stuff because it's NOT superhero stuff. I hate to say that nothing more can be done with a genre or medium, but the superhero stuff is just in "recycle" mode at this point, IMO.

I just don't think Marvel is trying hard enough to be creative. The talent pool has dried up and they are doing nothing to replenish it. It like they say "Bendis sells books, let's get him to do more books" or "Turner sells books, lets get him to do more books."

I grew up reading superhero books and so I enjoy those more than any other genre. If I feel like reading something outside that genre I will read a novel. The occasional non-superhero comic is okay, but it never holds my interest. I did pick up Remains for the first two issues, but the art is really bad in it that it's difficult to stay interested.

I just don't think Marvel is trying hard enough to be creative. The talent pool has dried up and they are doing nothing to replenish it. It like they say "Bendis sells books, let's get him to do more books" or "Turner sells books, lets get him to do more books."

I grew up reading superhero books and so I enjoy those more than any other genre. If I feel like reading something outside that genre I will read a novel. The occasional non-superhero comic is okay, but it never holds my interest. I did pick up Remains for the first two issues, but the art is really bad in it that it's difficult to stay interested.

I agree about the Marvel strategy... for me, it's the CONSTANT retooling. I hate it. I can't read it. It's insulting to me, and for that, they probably will never get me back. confused-smiley-013.gif (Except for Runaways.) cloud9.gif

And I REALLY didn't like "Remains" for those first couple issues. The whole thing felt so "done"... but after this latest issue... WOO! I'm hooked. 27_laughing.gif

<< This is what I don't understand-what long erm fans are you talking about? Marvel ended The Avengers with issue 500. The third time they have ended an Avengers series.>>

It actually ends with #503. #500 is the start of the final arc.

I didn't know The Avengers were ending with #503. I thought they were just starting a new "direction" or what-not but keeping the numbering. So they reverted back to the old numbering just to end the series anyway and start again at #1? I don't get it.

I don't usually don't feel qualified to call people stupid but, Marvel and co., you are completely inept. Or maybe they just realize they don't have any good ideas to help generate sales exept via #1 issues, variants and re-hash. I can only imagine where Marvel would be comic sales-wise if the Ultimate line hadn't taken off like it did.

CRC

I agree that Young Avengers looks like a dumb concept, but I'll reserve judgement until the book actually shows up before I condemn it.

I was one of the biggest Ultimate Spidey haters out there when the concept was announced ("another retelling of Spidey's origin from a modern standpoint - didn't Byrne just finish doing that with the horrible Chapter One?") and I think that book has been one of the most entertaining monthly superhero series since it's debut.

I'm skeptical, but maybe YA will end up being pretty good. It's typical for us to get our backs up without seeing the actual product.

The Azz story? I thought it was great. The last panel was the best part. Funny but sort of disturbing once you give it a little thought (which is, of course, why the others suddenly go silent...)

(Except for Runaways.)

Runaways is ending soon and will be relaunched a few months later as "season 2".

I... think I can handle that... maybe. Hell, it's better than just plain ol' "starting over."

I think it's a better idea to do things that way. It gives the author an opportunity to write a more deeply-involved arc, there's a beginning and an end (unlike so MANY titles with arcs that NEVER end), and hopefully people won't get utterly lost in the continuity issues that arise from having to connect every SMALL event in some giant web of events.

So, I think I can handle that! Yes! Kudos to you, "Runaways!"

And Exiles. I forgot to add Exiles.

Marvel, as usual as of late, seems to have gone waaay off track. Say what you will about Jemas (and was sort of a nut) without him helping to helm Marvel, I've noticed Quesada has not managed the ship quite as well without him. Marvel seems to be going more and more astray.

How long before we have another change of leadership?

Buckley is getting Quesada to do what the BoD wants (particularly Avi Arad), which is flood the market with more and more books using the same core concepts.

Jemas was into chucking continuity and "reimagining" things. Joe was into letting people tell stories without continuity restraints. Buckley is more of a milk continuity and fans for all its worth kind of guy. That's why he was hired. That's why the first things we saw out of the gate were crossovers and returning concepts (such as X-Men back in costumes and dozens of new similar x-books).

Marvel Mark Two loves Hollywood (as Hollywood loves Marvel) and will tinker to get the books as close to their roots and yet as markettable as possible for sale to other media.

Problem with Marvel Mark Two is that they lack focus in achieving their results. They launch, revamp and clone books until something sticks.

I agree that Young Avengers looks like a dumb concept, but I'll reserve judgement until the book actually shows up before I condemn it.

I was one of the biggest Ultimate Spidey haters out there when the concept was announced ("another retelling of Spidey's origin from a modern standpoint - didn't Byrne just finish doing that with the horrible Chapter One?") and I think that book has been one of the most entertaining monthly superhero series since it's debut.

I'm skeptical, but maybe YA will end up being pretty good. It's typical for us to get our backs up without seeing the actual product.

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

In the immortal words of Cheech & Chong - paraphrased grin.gif

Two guys walking down the street.(read in a chicano accent for maximum effect)

1st guy: "what's that? ...looks like [!@#%^&^] ... pick it up"

2nd guy: "huh"

1st: "I said pick it up"

2nd: "okay....ewww"

1: "feel like [!@#%^&^]"

2: "yeah, feel like [!@#%^&^]"

1: "smell it"

2: cough, cough, cough

1: "smell like [!@#%^&^]?"

2: "yeah, smell like [!@#%^&^]"

1: "taste it"

2: choke, gag, spew

1: "taste like [!@#%^&^]?"

2: "yeah, taste like [!@#%^&^]"

1: "good thing we don't step in it"

Here's hoping that the Avengers don't become something stuck to the bottom of our shoes.

(Except for Runaways.)

Runaways is ending soon and will be relaunched a few months later as "season 2".

I... think I can handle that... maybe. Hell, it's better than just plain ol' "starting over."

I think it's a better idea to do things that way. It gives the author an opportunity to write a more deeply-involved arc, there's a beginning and an end (unlike so MANY titles with arcs that NEVER end), and hopefully people won't get utterly lost in the continuity issues that arise from having to connect every SMALL event in some giant web of events.

So, I think I can handle that! Yes! Kudos to you, "Runaways!"

And Exiles. I forgot to add Exiles.

are there any Runaways trades? my LCS never has a copy in stock.....bastards >_<