• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just submitted my first CGC order

54 posts in this topic

This is actually my 2nd order. My first was the coupon you get with membership, and I used it on 4 mid-grade silver age comics. I didn't stress about the grades because I knew they were no better than VG/FN or so.

With this order, though, I submitted 10 comics all published in 2012. To my eye they all look perfect, and I'm hoping to get at least 9.8 with all. I'm stressed because a subset of my collection is modern comics all CGC 9.8s or better. I pick them solely by whether or not I like the cover, and so far I've got about 30 of them all purchased through ebay. This is the first time I've tried to add to this collection by buying raw via ebay and then submitting to CGC.

I'm already wondering what I'll do if some come back less than 9.8. What's worst, 6 of the ten are a variant cover set. What if 4 come back at 9.8 and the other 2 at 9.4 or 9.6? Do I sell the 9.4/9.6s and go back to ebay for 9.8s to complete the set (and these comics at CGC 9.8 are expensive on ebay right now, and according to the census only 3 of the 6 have been graded -- that's why I decided to go this raw -> cgc route).

At least I won't have too long too wait to find out (hopefully), as I spent the extra money to go Modern Fast track.

This is actually my 2nd order. My first was the coupon you get with membership, and I used it on 4 mid-grade silver age comics. I didn't stress about the grades because I knew they were no better than VG/FN or so.

With this order, though, I submitted 10 comics all published in 2012. To my eye they all look perfect, and I'm hoping to get at least 9.8 with all. I'm stressed because a subset of my collection is modern comics all CGC 9.8s or better. I pick them solely by whether or not I like the cover, and so far I've got about 30 of them all purchased through ebay. This is the first time I've tried to add to this collection by buying raw via ebay and then submitting to CGC.

I'm already wondering what I'll do if some come back less than 9.8. What's worst, 6 of the ten are a variant cover set. What if 4 come back at 9.8 and the other 2 at 9.4 or 9.6? Do I sell the 9.4/9.6s and go back to ebay for 9.8s to complete the set (and these comics at CGC 9.8 are expensive on ebay right now, and according to the census only 3 of the 6 have been graded -- that's why I decided to go this raw -> cgc route).

At least I won't have too long too wait to find out (hopefully), as I spent the extra money to go Modern Fast track.

:roflmao:

Your first order is an eye opener. Good luck... See you back here in June when you get back your books.

Is modern fast track really that far behind?

The coupon I used was for standard which is listed at 15 days -- and it arrived only a few days late.

Modern fast track is listed as 10 business days. Are people seeing this taking much longer?

I agree, once the website says shipped I don't look anymore, I want the grades to be a surprise.

Good luck!

P.S what books are in this six book variant set? hm

Do not expect your books back anytime soon. Do expect some real surprises... since you are expecting nigh the highest grade there is, expect bad surprises.

Yep. Prepare for massive butthurt if you are expecting 9.8s.

And you will be waiting longer than the posted turn-around times. Alot longer.

Good luck.

Do not expect your books back anytime soon. Do expect some real surprises... since you are expecting nigh the highest grade there is, expect bad surprises.

Good luck.

Not really - modern FT is around 13 business days right now (vs. the 10 business days posted on the site).

You're right on the money about the grades, though - that first modern submission is always a real eye-opener :eek:

Good luck.

Not really - modern FT is around 13 business days right now (vs. the 10 business days posted on the site).

You're right on the money about the grades, though - that first modern submission is always a real eye-opener :eek:

I am not finding turn around times to be a problem (with FT) either. My most recent modern FT received by CGC on 12/10 shows shipped 12/28. 12 days with holiday. The books actually were received at the USPS 12/29. So the very 13 days mschmidt states.

Best of luck on the grades.

I hope you didn't forget to you use the free 10% discount!

Why do you always come back as an alias why?

:facepalm:

Good luck.

I am not finding turn around times to be a problem (with FT) either. My most recent modern FT received by CGC on 12/10 shows shipped 12/28. 12 days with holiday. The books actually were received at the USPS 12/29. So the very 13 days mschmidt states.

I stand corrected regarding TAT's. I haven't submitted anything other than onsite in more than a year. I just figured with all the whining and crying regarding TAT's over the past year+ that all books were included.

So, am I to gather that modern tier moves quicker?

Not that it affects me either way, but why would modern tier move quicker than any other age? That doesn't make any sense to me.

(shrug)

Good luck.

I stand corrected regarding TAT's. I haven't submitted anything other than onsite in more than a year. I just figured with all the whining and crying regarding TAT's over the past year+ that all books were included.

So, am I to gather that modern tier moves quicker?

Not that it affects me either way, but why would modern tier move quicker than any other age? That doesn't make any sense to me.

(shrug)

The regular modern tier is pretty far behind - it's only the modern fast-track tier that's close to being on time (which is no different than any of the other fast-track tiers).

Why do you always come back as an alias why?

:facepalm:

You'd be surprised by the amount of people who don't know about the free 10% discount :makepoint:

Yep, I used the online submission form and the 10% was automatically applied