• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Joe Kubert great ??

137 posts in this topic

Yes, he was great. His longevity and many roles in the industry speak for themselves. As for his art in DC's war books, my family members who actually served and fought in World War Two would look at his work and feel he represented them in his art. (thumbs u There's no greater sign of respect in my mind. He captured the harsh essence of war in a way few people can, by showcasing the fighting infantry soldier, Marine, airman, and sailor in an artistic manner filled with realism. It was comics, but his work often showed real respect for the men he portrayed.

My other comment on the great Joe Kubert- I had the privilege of meeting Joe Kubert and his son Adam at a comic con. I shook Adam's hand and told him I greatly admired his work. But then I said that my all-time favorite comic artist was his dad. ;) Adam Kubert smiled, asked me if I'd seen his father's work in the U.S. military's PS magazine (I had), and then looked over at his dad who was sitting next to him signing autographs. It was a look of admiration, of respect, and dare I use the word on these boards, of love. To see a son look at his father in that way....that's greatness.

When you think of the thousands of artists that have worked in the world of comics over the last 70 years, there are few that are on the level of Joe Kurbert. He is a hall of famer in my eyes, so yes...he is great.

well said

He captured the harsh essence of war in a way few people can, by showcasing the fighting infantry soldier, Marine, airman, and sailor in an artistic manner filled with realism

WeirdWarTales0941980-12.jpg

War is scary

Yes he was one of the true greats. And unlike other star artists such as Neal Adams he never lost it. His recent work is still on the money.

Having said that, I didn't like his work when I was younger and the same could be said of Gene Colon, Gil Kane and others. However, as I got older I came to love their work and appreciate their stylistic differences.

I would just say in addition, that if you see a normally tight artist doing 'sloppy' work you need to take into account the deadline pressures he may have been under at the time. Comics have always been a mixture of art and commerce and deadlines sometimes force compromise - just ask Vince Colletta!

I am completely biased because the Enemy Ace run in Star Spangled War Stories are some of my favorite comic works. Joe was a great story teller and was able and willing to work in many genres. He wasn't the most talented of his era, but he delivered prolifically, consistently, and with many, many examples of brilliance. Kinda like a John Elway. :grin:

Joe Kubert is a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer in my book!

2mhbo5t.jpg

I can understand those who aren't fans of Joe's style. It is gritty. It will never be smooth like Romita or Heath but that's what makes it great for the books he worked on. You want a quality war book? Put Joe on it. Look at his work on the pre-hero B&B comics. Just outstanding. I agree that superheroes was not the best venue for his work.

Looking at his Weird War work, I wish DC had put him on more horror books. His style would have been amazing on any of DCs bronze horror books.

As for his art in DC's war books, my family members who actually served and fought in World War Two would look at his work and feel he represented them in his art. (thumbs u There's no greater sign of respect in my mind. He captured the harsh essence of war in a way few people can, by showcasing the fighting infantry soldier, Marine, airman, and sailor in an artistic manner filled with realism. It was comics, but his work often showed real respect for the men he portrayed.

Quite an accolade. :applause:

Kubert had talent, plus he put in the hardwork learning and mastering his craft. His characters were dynamic, his stories moved, he could convey atmosphere, mood and nuance -- he could do it all.

Personally, I think photo-realism is overrated. Anybody can do it these days with a computer. Kubert was a cartoonist -- he created his own graphic vocabulary -- no swipes, no poses, he was interested in challenging his story-telling techniques, not how many caped crusaders he could fit into a double-page spread.

Lines cand be used to cover-up mistakes, drawing the eye away from problems with anatomy, perspective, etc. But Joe had a great, fluid line, providing detail when it was needed, pulling back when it wasn't. It only looks simple and scratchy. Every line has a purpose!

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this guy. He spanned as huge a career as Kirby. Acomplished an incredible body of work....from the Golden Age until pretty recently. Did a zillion covers for the DC war books, plus Tarzan, and almost anything else that needed to meet a deadline.

But still..... his work can be kinda sketchy and ugly sometimes.

Some beautiful stuff and some horrendous stuff.

Comments ?

To me he was great.From Viking Prince ,Tor,Rock .It was all good to me.Liked his early work the best but his art just seemed to fit on Rock also.Like Miller and Janson on Daredevil.

Kubert had talent, plus he put in the hardwork learning and mastering his craft. His characters were dynamic, his stories moved, he could convey atmosphere, mood and nuance -- he could do it all.

Personally, I think photo-realism is overrated. Anybody can do it these days with a computer. Kubert was a cartoonist -- he created his own graphic vocabulary -- no swipes, no poses, he was interested in challenging his story-telling techniques, not how many caped crusaders he could fit into a double-page spread.

Lines cand be used to cover-up mistakes, drawing the eye away from problems with anatomy, perspective, etc. But Joe had a great, fluid line, providing detail when it was needed, pulling back when it wasn't. It only looks simple and scratchy. Every line has a purpose!

:golfclap: Kubert is great.

Enemy Ace is my favorite too - awesome art & fabulous stories! :applause:

I am completely biased because the Enemy Ace run in Star Spangled War Stories are some of my favorite comic works. Joe was a great story teller and was able and willing to work in many genres. He wasn't the most talented of his era, but he delivered prolifically, consistently, and with many, many examples of brilliance. Kinda like a John Elway. :grin:

Joe Kubert is a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer in my book!

2mhbo5t.jpg

With his body of work, his school, that Joe Kubert's Comic Book Studio kit for kids, he reached Icon status imho.

There's a sea of fantastic artists who've worked in comic books, but not all of them work tirelessly over a lifetime, teach others, and leave an unfathomable impact on future generations of graphic storytellers.

"Great" seems too small a moniker.

joe-kubert.jpg

There's a sea of fantastic artists who've worked in comic books, but not all of them work tirelessly over a lifetime, teach others, and leave an unfathomable impact on future generations of graphic storytellers.

Are any of the new generation of artists (Image 90's on up) doing this? Is it even beneficial to do so now with schools like the Savannah College of Art and Design that have renowned sequential art programs? Joe Kubert is a classic, and he's made an amazing mark on the industry with his dedication to his profession and how he gave back.

I'm just curious if the new generation is leaving a mark on future illustrators in some fashion?