• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Zaid, P.C. hired by CCG as a consultant and outside counsel.

292 posts in this topic

Thanks for the well wishes and comments everyone.

This is a very exciting time and I am really looking forward to working with/for CGC and its parent company. I have been working very closely with CGC's leadership for a number of years, particularly with Steve Eichenbaum, its CEO. I have the utmost respect and admiration for Steve (who I was very pleased to invite on to the Board of Advisors of the Comic Book Collecting Association) and it is out of that relationship that this new one grew.

I will be visiting CGC's offices in the near future to begin my thorough examination/audit of its business operations and practices, and especially given the most recent news I will review how the integration of Matt Nelson's pressing services will become part of the CGC certification process.

On that note, let me provide a few thoughts specifically on the pressing issue. My views on pressing are well-known as I have written about them here on the boards and elsewhere for many years. It is no secret that I am not a fan of pressing but that is a personal choice and does not reflect upon anyone else who might hold a different view. Not being in favor of pressing is not necessarily akin to being anti-pressing. The fact is I have no issue with the act of pressing. I simply believe it is a form of restoration, albeit probably the most minimal of all efforts, but clearly the community has not agreed upon the definition and this issue remains hotly contested. That said, it is very clear that pressing has (if not was already and we just did not know it as some have advocated) become very prevalent and is here to stay and the community will simply need to address it as time goes by, if ever at all.

CGC has made a business decision which I fully understand to incorporate Matt's skills into the framework of its grading company. Part of my task is to ensure that this decision is handled ethically, professionally and responsibly and that even perceptions of favoritism or conflict are dispelled. That means the system that is in place must be as tight as possible to ensure graders do not know the book was pressed in-house (obviously, there may be some exceptions where the book in question is one that is high-profile, i.e., a one-of-a-kind Church pedigree, and it has been submitted more than once in a short period of time and the grader remembers it. That can happen now with resubmissions too). There needs to be a sufficient wall between the pressing and grading services. And while I absolutely want to ensure there are no actual conflicts of interest, I am also very, very aware and focused on minimizing, if not eliminating all together, any perceptions of a conflict, impropriety or unfairness. Thus, it is my hope, for example, that reasonable minds will not believe that a book pressed in-house by Matt is in any way guaranteed to receive an enhanced grade by CGC.

In any event, this is just one of many aspects of CGC's business I will be reviewing. I invite anyone who has any concerns about any past, present or future CGC policy or practice, whether in general or if it is an issue with a specific employee, to contact me either through the Boards or via e-mail at Mark@MarkZaid.com. I will make sure the issue is addressed if it is something that falls within my purview.

As I was quoted in the press release, I truly believe that the stronger CGC is the better it is for our hobby and community. (thumbs u

Alas, expediting the processing time for submitted books is not something I will be addressing! But I will still whisper it to those in the know. :gossip:

In turn, this move will make CGC a better, stronger company,” comments Steve Eichenbaum, CCG CEO. “As always, CGC is dedicated to support and do what’s best for the hobby,” added Steve.

lol, what a load of carp.

Stu?

No. Someone else with an axe to grind hiding behind a shill.

:tonofbricks:

I could be wrong, but I've been reading his posts for a while and they don't seem like Stewie.

He seems too crusty to be Stu.

Yeah, Stu bathes at least once a fortnight, whether he needs it or not, so the crust is minimized to a certain degree

Unfortunately TATs will be stalled as CGC works to retrofit the doors to the building to accommodate the girth of Mark's new head.

i'm predicting an airplane-hangar type contraption.

I love me some Zaid, but this one two punch from Bedrock and Straw had me laughing out loud on an airplane. The other passengers must think I'm drunk, or odd.

me laughing out loud on an airplane. The other passengers must think I'm drunk, or odd.

They may think it's an either/or. I choose both.

Smart move by CGC. (thumbs u

Best appointment they've made.

Agreed, but what next? hm

Andy (Goldust) as fashion consultant? :grin:

Roy (Vintage) as hairdresser? :grin:

Nick (Flaming) as international touring director? :grin:

Mike (comicdonna) as director of inland waterways? :grin:

I didn't make the list. :cry:

Check it again . . . :whistle:

Thanks for the well wishes and comments everyone.

This is a very exciting time and I am really looking forward to working with/for CGC and its parent company. I have been working very closely with CGC's leadership for a number of years, particularly with Steve Eichenbaum, its CEO. I have the utmost respect and admiration for Steve (who I was very pleased to invite on to the Board of Advisors of the Comic Book Collecting Association) and it is out of that relationship that this new one grew.

I will be visiting CGC's offices in the near future to begin my thorough examination/audit of its business operations and practices, and especially given the most recent news I will review how the integration of Matt Nelson's pressing services will become part of the CGC certification process.

On that note, let me provide a few thoughts specifically on the pressing issue. My views on pressing are well-known as I have written about them here on the boards and elsewhere for many years. It is no secret that I am not a fan of pressing but that is a personal choice and does not reflect upon anyone else who might hold a different view. Not being in favor of pressing is not necessarily akin to being anti-pressing. The fact is I have no issue with the act of pressing. I simply believe it is a form of restoration, albeit probably the most minimal of all efforts, but clearly the community has not agreed upon the definition and this issue remains hotly contested. That said, it is very clear that pressing has (if not was already and we just did not know it as some have advocated) become very prevalent and is here to stay and the community will simply need to address it as time goes by, if ever at all.

CGC has made a business decision which I fully understand to incorporate Matt's skills into the framework of its grading company. Part of my task is to ensure that this decision is handled ethically, professionally and responsibly and that even perceptions of favoritism or conflict are dispelled. That means the system that is in place must be as tight as possible to ensure graders do not know the book was pressed in-house (obviously, there may be some exceptions where the book in question is one that is high-profile, i.e., a one-of-a-kind Church pedigree, and it has been submitted more than once in a short period of time and the grader remembers it. That can happen now with resubmissions too). There needs to be a sufficient wall between the pressing and grading services. And while I absolutely want to ensure there are no actual conflicts of interest, I am also very, very aware and focused on minimizing, if not eliminating all together, any perceptions of a conflict, impropriety or unfairness. Thus, it is my hope, for example, that reasonable minds will not believe that a book pressed in-house by Matt is in any way guaranteed to receive an enhanced grade by CGC.

In any event, this is just one of many aspects of CGC's business I will be reviewing. I invite anyone who has any concerns about any past, present or future CGC policy or practice, whether in general or if it is an issue with a specific employee, to contact me either through the Boards or via e-mail at Mark@MarkZaid.com. I will make sure the issue is addressed if it is something that falls within my purview.

As I was quoted in the press release, I truly believe that the stronger CGC is the better it is for our hobby and community. (thumbs u

Alas, expediting the processing time for submitted books is not something I will be addressing! But I will still whisper it to those in the know. :gossip:

:applause:

Let me extend my congratulations to Mark. I spoke with him about this idea a few months ago, expressed both what I viewed as the positives and negatives, and now with the merger of Matt Nelson and CGC, I think it's more important than ever.

Moreover, I think it's incredible that he's devoting the time to this. Mark has a busy practice and has found the time, even though it's paid, to do something that I don't think of a lot of the "comic lawyers" would do. What I told him at the time was that it was something I would never undertake because in order to do it properly, you have to commit some serious time, which I know Mark will.

Overall I think it's a positive step. It's better than having 10 people be an "advisory committee". I think there's a lot of things he will review and ultimately I think it will be a positive.

Should we be expecting perfection and total transparency? Absolutely not. But I think that several concerns and questions will be addressed by this move.

Certainly provides some legitimacy for those who know who Mark is.

Funny. I was thinking the exact opposite.

This is a very good move on CGC's part. I have come to know Mark well over the past four years. He graciously traveled to South Florida to be the keynote speaker for me at my installation as President of the Miami Beach Bar Association several years ago, and I am fortunate to be able to count him as a friend. He is one of the most dedicated and ethical individuals that I know, and his addition to the CGC formula will only benefit this community.

I don't know where your animosity toward Mark stems from, or why you feel it necessary to take a cheap shot at Mark without any substance in your attack. I am all for the free flow of discussion on these boards, but your personal attack on Mark - with no facts or legitimate basis - is just plain weak.

This is a very good move on CGC's part. I have come to know Mark well over the past four years. He graciously traveled to South Florida to be the keynote speaker for me at my inauguration as President of the Miami Beach Bar Association several years ago, and I am fortunate to be able to count him as a friend. He is one of the most dedicated and ethical individuals that I know, and his addition to the CGC formula will only benefit this community.

I don't know where your animosity toward Mark stems from, or why you feel it necessary to take a cheap shot at Mark without any substance in your attack. I am all for the free flow of discussion on these boards, but your personal attack on Mark - with no facts or legitimate basis - is just plain weak.

I am glad to be able to call both you and Mark friends, Josh.

This is a very good move on CGC's part. I have come to know Mark well over the past four years. He graciously traveled to South Florida to be the keynote speaker for me at my inauguration as President of the Miami Beach Bar Association several years ago, and I am fortunate to be able to count him as a friend. He is one of the most dedicated and ethical individuals that I know, and his addition to the CGC formula will only benefit this community.

Ditto Mike!

I'm glad to call you, Doc, Josh and Mark friends. Maybe we could all hug sometime.

I'm glad to call you, Doc, Josh and Mark friends. Maybe we could all hug sometime.

I'd like to be in the middle of that group hug :luhv:

Doc is especially dreamy

I'd like to be in the middle of that group hug :luhv:

Doc is especially dreamy

I think cranky old Doc must be going through menopause lately.