• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oscar shutout

99 posts in this topic

I'd be happy with the 3.3 Billion, keep your awards

No, but any piece of can make money (check out the Box Office for The Amazing Spider-man) but studios and fanboys crave award recognition, which is why the Academy was forced to expand their Best Pic noms a few years ago.

The Oscars are very important in Hollywood and studio heads are rich the moment they sign up, and they'd eadily trade a billion in revenue for a single Oscar on their mantle.

No, but any piece of can make money (check out the Box Office for The Amazing Spider-man) but studios and fanboys crave award recognition, which is why the Academy was forced to expand their Best Pic noms a few years ago.

The Oscars are very important in Hollywood and studio heads are rich the moment they sign up, and they'd eadily trade a billion in revenue for a single Oscar on their mantle.

This may be so, but for the fanboys the $ is a good thing. Means they'll keep making comic book movies. Hopefully with a decent percentage of good comic book movies. That's a win IMO.

You show me one studio head who would trade a billion in revenue for an Oscar and I'll show you a studio looking for a new head. These ARE still businesses, you know. The reason that studios like Oscars is it allows them to make more money off the film in rerelease.

Edit: Now if you had said Actor or Director instead of studio head I might have bought it.

Life of Pi was a wonderful film, adapted from a book I hadn't read that apparently walks the fine line of fantasy and reality. I doubt it will win for lack of poular backs to pat. I also think Ironman was the last best chance of an oscar for a superhero movie. I think it will always be thought that if that film didn't win, none of the should.

Always great to hear different opinions on such topics!

CAL learns every day...

You show me one studio head who would trade a billion in revenue for an Oscar and I'll show you a studio looking for a new head. These ARE still businesses, you know. The reason that studios like Oscars is it allows them to make more money off the film in rerelease.

Edit: Now if you had said Actor or Director instead of studio head I might have bought it.

Remember, it is Show BUSINESS!!!

I concur with this post 100%, and can tell anyone how tough it is getting a movie made.

CAL who has means, but then again...

Didn't see DKR yet, but didn't think either the Avengers or Spider-man were worthy of Oscar consideration. Of course neither was Les Mis - which I got roped into seeing with my daughter. I'd rather sit through the Daredevil movie than watch that again.

Have to disagree there - what they did with Les Mis was remarkable for an on screen musical. Russel Crowe was about the only weak performer in the film because he was so focused on the singing he couldn't act. Hathaway's ability to put as much emotion into her performance while holding onto the music was really surprising and worthy of the nomination I thought. If you don't enjoy the story or don't enjoy musicals then it makes sense you could be bored because the story itself isn't fast moving, but I thought the film was done really really well (even though I think the non-movie music is still better).

+1 les mis was a pretty damn good movie imo

And speaking of the same director... The Kings Speech was a much better movie than the Social Network...much, much better... also imo of course.

Haven't seen Les Mis yet (it opens in February here), but I'm sure I'll enjoy it, as I'm a big fan of the musical. :cloud9:

But a big +1 on The King's Speech being much better than The Social Network. :applause:

Not one award!

Nothing for my favorite picture of the year TDKR..

Not one damn nomination ! :mad:

I saw Lincoln, and my two comic book movies were far more entertaining.

I guess the Hollywood fartsy artsy people don`t take us comic book people serious.

It all good because mainstream voted with their pocketbooks and agree with me that TDKR and Avengers are superior. :cloud9:

10 years from now they will still be talking about the Avengers and TDKR!

To the person I made the charity bet with please contact me for arrangements, and I will pay up.

I am still in shock that Avengers only got one nomination, and TDKR didn`t get one stinkin nomination !

:cry:

I'll take this opportunity to remind you of our friendly wager a month ago. My charity of choice is Hero Initiative :foryou: .

I still say The Dark Knight Rises will be nominated for a best picture Oscar.

Wanna place a bet on that prediction? hm

If it`s allowed. I don`t know the boards policy,but

$50 dollars to the winner`s charity. TDKR will get nominated for best picture.

You got it. If TDKR is nominated for best picture, I'll donate $50 to the charity of your choice. :)

3.3 billion doesn't automatically buy you an award, nor should it.

Anyone who wants box office and popularity to translate into awards should be forced to go through the torture of watching the People`s Choice Awards.

That`s what happens when you hand out awards without consideration of things like skill, quality and artistic merit.

Depends on the the genre....

Gladiator and Braveheart one... those have plot lines and themes that are very similar to the Superhero genre.

Changed it to rarely as I recall that Unforgiven won a few.

Good call on Braveheart as that did win Best Picture.

They`re historical epics. Hollywood LOVES historical epics.

Depends on the the genre....

Gladiator and Braveheart one... those have plot lines and themes that are very similar to the Superhero genre.

Changed it to rarely as I recall that Unforgiven won a few.

Good call on Braveheart as that did win Best Picture.

Yeah I was just thinking about the Westerns that won, Unforgiven... and maybe Dances with Wolves falls somewhere in there too...

I guess I'd say its very rare that a "popcorn" movie wins the Oscar: Titanic and Gladiator are the only two I can think of since 2000 that were both box office/popular culture hits and Oscar winners...

There was that little art film called "Return of the King". :gossip:

What year do you think this is, 1984? Other than to indie or foreign properties (which it does help) for big studio movies Oscar money is almost negligible these days and this has been covered many times in the media. There is no longer any "Oscar bump" for a major studio movie and virtually no one re-releases movies in favor of meeting their Blu-ray date.

And there are plenty of big studio heads who have poured billions into money-losing propositions just to get a chance at winning an Oscar. Is this really a new concept to people?

A great example is Bob Shaye, who I just got done reading a partial-bio on (his was part of a larger book), head of New Line, which was probably the schlockiest of schlock production companies at the time (they made their money on Freddy Krueger/Dumb & Dumber/House Party movies while buying/distributing some foreign art films) but in order to get your name on a real Oscar, they needed to actually produce it.

So he spend a mint setting up "Fine Line" studios as Oscar bait and footed the bill for Peter Jackson;s LOTR, among others, and in the book he (and other studio heads) are quoted many times of comments similar to "we had the money, and now we wanted the respect" and this is very, very, very common with companies that produce mass market schlock that rakes in the big bucks, but only gets Razzie noms. They want it all.

Interestingly, Bob Weinstein, who fixes/wins Oscars like mad did the exact opposite and took a "we have the awards, now we want the money" angle when he set up Dimension Films to compete against Shaye. He also wanted it all.

Gladiator and Braveheart won... and those have plot lines and themes that are very similar to the Superhero genre.

What? What? Both characters died at the end, and stayed dead. And most/all of their family are dead as well. And stayed dead.

Comic books as a genre are similar to soap operas (Stan Lee understood this extremely well) where there is the illusion of change, but really nothing ever changes in the long run. If a lead or major character dies you know he or she is going to reappear soon as the "comic book" genre is all about "maintaining the franchise" and zero about quality or art, just like soaps, it presents life as we would like it to be, and not life as it really is.

And while there are certainly better movies than Gladiator, at least they presented a story with real consequences to the leads and without any eye at "keeping everyone alive for the sequel".

Go watch Gladiator and then watch 2012's The Amazing Spider-man and tell me these are remotely from the same genre. lol

Gladiator and Braveheart won... and those have plot lines and themes that are very similar to the Superhero genre.

What? What? Both characters died at the end, and stayed dead. And most/all of their family are dead as well. And stayed dead.

Comic books as a genre are similar to soap operas (Stan Lee understood this extremely well) where there is the illusion of change, but really nothing ever changes in the long run. If a lead or major character dies you know he or she is going to reappear soon as the "comic book" genre is all about "maintaining the franchise" and zero about quality or art, just like soaps, it presents life as we would like it to be, and not life as it really is.

And while there are certainly better movies than Gladiator, at least they presented a story with real consequences to the leads and without any eye at "keeping everyone alive for the sequel".

Go watch Gladiator and then watch 2012's The Amazing Spider-man and tell me these are remotely from the same genre. lol

Ok I give. I was looking for anything that could at least be in the vicinity of the super-hero movies.

Would you at least agree Gladiator is closer to DRK than The Piano is to DKR?

Not really, as just because it's a movie about comic book characters doesn't mean it's a "comic book movie". Just as animation doesn't have to be for kids.

For example, I feel that both BB and TDK transcended the traditional "comic book movie" ever so slightly, while utter tripe like The Amazing Spider-man just puked all over it. On the other hand, The Avengers, while being highly enjoyable, was still a basic comic book movie aimed at the average 10-12 year old, they just did almost everything right.

They also like 'em 'cause they lend credibility and give the studio gravitas - it's not entirely about the mighty dollar.

A large portion of Oscar hype is promoted by a particular star/director's agents... and in that case, winning an oscar does equal to more $.

- As far as all the Brokeback mountain being snubbed at the oscars because of some homophobia in Hollywood.... that's absurd. 8 nominations and 3 wins... hello? Hollywood is the least homophobic business on earth.

... and I've read and watched both Crash and BBM. IMO Crash was the better movie, the scripts were equally brilliant. No snubbing that I can see. move on.

Not one award!

I guess the Hollywood fartsy artsy people don`t take us comic book people serious.

It all good because mainstream voted with their pocketbooks and agree with me that TDKR and Avengers are superior. :cloud9:

To the person I made the charity bet with please contact me for arrangements, and I will pay up.

I am still in shock that Avengers only got one nomination, and TDKR didn`t get one stinkin nomination !

That movie was a primo stinker, kiddo.

There were tons of comics this year that were better than TDKR.

Not one award!

That movie was a primo stinker, kiddo.

There were tons of comics this year that were better than TDKR.

I hear good things about Prometheus... hm