• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oscar shutout

99 posts in this topic

The most discussed Oscar(Academy Awards) head-scratcher:

1991 Best Picture Winner: Dances with Wolves

over

Goodfellas.

The one Oscar debate that the Academy really does not want to ever address again:

1978 Best Picture: Annie Hall

over

Star Wars.

It is public record that both of the Best Picture snubs earned at least 15x $$$ than the eventual Winner. The voters of the Academy are human beings, and they ANSWER TO PEOPLE in this cut-throat business. If you believe that no one knows who votes for what, I have some Modern Drek I will make a good price for you as a future Investment.

Take a chance! Columbus did, and he died of 4th stage Syphillis.

CAL still has 4th stage flu...

I think the Academy was still using myspace when they voted The Kings Speech over The Social Network.

Both movies were well-written, and based on non-fictional storylines. However, this case is similar to the DWW 1991, where the political implications weighed heavy on the King's Speech(KS). Director Tom Hooper's first serious endeavour in a big budgeted star-studded cast and the "pushing" of the sub-genre of British Royalty IMO were the deciding factors why KS beat out Social Network( SN). If you had put the gun to my head and forced me to vote between these two great feature films I would have voted KS anyway.

The downside of the genre British Royalty seems very Rolling Stones-ish: Talent abound, but more of a "cult" following. The Stones could never outdo their Liverpool conterparts during the 1960's.

CAL who likes Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush.

Didn't see DKR yet, but didn't think either the Avengers or Spider-man were worthy of Oscar consideration. Of course neither was Les Mis - which I got roped into seeing with my daughter. I'd rather sit through the Daredevil movie than watch that again.

Have to disagree there - what they did with Les Mis was remarkable for an on screen musical. Russel Crowe was about the only weak performer in the film because he was so focused on the singing he couldn't act. Hathaway's ability to put as much emotion into her performance while holding onto the music was really surprising and worthy of the nomination I thought. If you don't enjoy the story or don't enjoy musicals then it makes sense you could be bored because the story itself isn't fast moving, but I thought the film was done really really well (even though I think the non-movie music is still better).

+1 les mis was a pretty damn good movie imo

And speaking of the same director... The Kings Speech was a much better movie than the Social Network...much, much better... also imo of course.

What about the Lion King? Was that the same year as Schindler?

Lion King wasnt a best picture nominated.

I just looked it up and in 1995, The Lion King won the Oscar for both

Best Music

Best Score

CAL the movie fan..

For all the excellent films this year, the comic films got shut out with only 1 exception - Avengers got a visual effects nomination.

That seems a bit messed up considering Batman, Avengers, & Spidey combined for a gross of over $3.3billion.

I'm not saying money should always equal nominations - but I saw, Lincoln, The Hobbit, & Les Mis as well and while they all deserved some nods, it's frankly silly that Downey Jr has never received a nod for Tony Stark - that role could not be played better, or that movies which break into the top 10 in all time earnings aren't at least considered for best picture (especially when films like DKR do it without the 3D revenue). OR, how about a director nod for Whedon because of the skill it takes to balance the crazy number of huge personalities in that movie, or Nolan (you realize, he never got a director nod for any of his Batman work)? None of the comic films could even muster a costume, editing, production design, or cinematography nomination despite the impressively believable fantasy worlds they created.

rantrant

It is a given that the Comic book movies are for the comic geeks. The Italian relatives of yesteryear aren't going to phone their chauffers to pick up the Politician's wives/daughters to see Hulk punk out Thor...

CAL sticks to demographics and marketing structures...

Avatar was nominated for Best Pic and Best Director. It's the highest grossing movie of all-time.

Personally, I gave a big middle finger to the Academy Awards after the Brokeback Mtn debacle. Don't care about the ceremony any longer in the slightest.

Avatar was nominated for Best Pic and Best Director. It's the highest grossing movie of all-time.

Personally, I gave a big middle finger to the Academy Awards after the Brokeback Mtn debacle. Don't care about the ceremony any longer in the slightest.

That was the risk the Academy took regarding BrMtn. Yes they did come under a lot of fire for that.

CAL who remembers...

Has anybody checked on ComicConnoisseur to make sure he didn't jump off a bridge after this news? hm

:facepalm:

Lincoln was a good flick,but I rather watch The Dark Knight Rises. To me TDKR was better movie. I think comic book movies have now caught up to mainstream Oscar type movies. I still say The Dark Knight Rises will be nominated for a best picture Oscar. Lincoln was good,but not great.

The Dark Knight Rises was superior. 2c

Bane-TDKR2.jpg

That was the risk the Academy took regarding BrMtn. Yes they did come under a lot of fire for that.

CAL who remembers...

I must have missed that.. what was the debacle/risk?

Has anybody checked on ComicConnoisseur to make sure he didn't jump off a bridge after this news? hm

Lincoln was a good flick,but I rather watch The Dark Knight Rises. To me TDKR was better movie. I think comic book movies have now caught up to mainstream Oscar type movies. I still say The Dark Knight Rises will be nominated for a best picture Oscar. Lincoln was good,but not great.

Bane-TDKR2.jpg

Not one award!

Nothing for my favorite picture of the year TDKR..

Not one damn nomination ! :mad:

I saw Lincoln, and my two comic book movies were far more entertaining.

I guess the Hollywood fartsy artsy people don`t take us comic book people serious.

It all good because mainstream voted with their pocketbooks and agree with me that TDKR and Avengers are superior. :cloud9:

10 years from now they will still be talking about the Avengers and TDKR!

To the person I made the charity bet with please contact me for arrangements, and I will pay up.

I am still in shock that Avengers only got one nomination, and TDKR didn`t get one stinkin nomination !

:cry:

Bane-TDKR2.jpg

Not one award!

I saw Lincoln and my two comic book movies were far more entertaining.

I guess the Hollywood fartsy artsy people don`t take us comic book people serious.

It all good because mainstream voted with their pocketbooks and agree with me that TDKR and Avengers are superior. :cloud9:

To the person I made the charity bet with please contact me for arrangements, and I will pay up.

I am still in shock that Avengers only got one nomination and TDKR didn`t get one stinkin nomination !

:applause:

You just have to realize that the Academy Awards are artsy-fartsy awards. All it took was Star Wars not winning Best Picture to show just where those voters were coming from :makepoint:

I dont think anyone would consider Avengers, Spidey or DKR as doing anything groundbreaking, innovative or particularly impressive insofar as how the awards are given out.

There was some pretty loose editing and cinematography in these movies. And no one gets a directorial nod for having to deal with the talent, its about what shows up on the screen. The comic book movies certainly have moved forward from where they were 10-20 years ago, but in most cases they are just well executed movies about a subject matter I love. Its the subject matter that evokes a response from me, not the movie-making/acting itself.

I thought Avengers had phenomenal cinematography. The tracking shot during the final battle without a cut was jaw dropping, not many directors can pull that off.

tracking shots aren't what they are cracked up to be when they are done against a green screen with so many digital elements being added afterwards.

I thought the overall battle choreography was muddy (at the end).

It could have been nominated for best animated feature :shy:

CAL who remembers...

Here's a starting good read for you....

Didn't see DKR yet, but didn't think either the Avengers or Spider-man were worthy of Oscar consideration. Of course neither was Les Mis - which I got roped into seeing with my daughter. I'd rather sit through the Daredevil movie than watch that again.

Have to disagree there - what they did with Les Mis was remarkable for an on screen musical. Russel Crowe was about the only weak performer in the film because he was so focused on the singing he couldn't act. Hathaway's ability to put as much emotion into her performance while holding onto the music was really surprising and worthy of the nomination I thought. If you don't enjoy the story or don't enjoy musicals then it makes sense you could be bored because the story itself isn't fast moving, but I thought the film was done really really well (even though I think the non-movie music is still better).

I'm probably not the best audience, as I'm not automatically a fan of musicals - but I can enjoy them on screen ( I was impressed with Chicago), and I don't need rapid pacing to enjoy a movie. I found Les Mis lacking on several fronts - the music is to my taste pretty mediocre, the lack of virtually any dialogue that isn't sung, and neither Crowe nor Jackman have much of a voice. I will agree that Hathaway's perfomance was highly emotional and she has a better voice than I would have guessed.

Bane-TDKR2.jpg

Not one award!

I am still in shock that Avengers only got one nomination and TDKR didn`t get one stinkin nomination !

You just have to realize that the Academy Awards are artsy-fartsy awards. All it took was Star Wars not winning Best Picture to show just where those voters were coming from :makepoint:

Pigs will fly when a Comic Movie no matter how good wins one of the major awards :censored:

I'm probably not the best audience, as I'm not automatically a fan of musicals - but I can enjoy them on screen ( I was impressed with Chicago), and I don't need rapid pacing to enjoy a movie. I found Les Mis lacking on several fronts - the music is to my taste pretty mediocre, the lack of virtually any dialogue that isn't sung, and neither Crowe nor Jackman have much of a voice. I will agree that Hathaway's perfomance was highly emotional and she has a better voice than I would have guessed.

Well, would ya look at that - reasonable discussion. Is this April fools or something?

CAL who remembers...

Basically, BBM was a shoe-in for the Best Pic. It had garnered every major award leading up to the Oscar ceremony to an unprecedented degree. Even Jack Nicholson, when he read 'Crash' on the envelope, was shocked. Then Academy members actually came out and said they weren't going to watch some gay cowboy movie, let alone vote for it. It all just smacked of homophobia, and really, there was no other reason for BBM to lose to Crash.

The risk of course is that Hollywood was afraid of being seen as queer, and alienating the general public. On the other hand, a huge segment of the Oscars' audience over the years is very gay (used to be one of my favorite nights of the year!), so it felt worse than a betrayal. It felt to many like the Hollywood establishment spat on gays and kicked them to the curb. Hard to take the Oscars seriously after that.

Granted, not everyone agrees or liked BBM. People will always have their favorites. But in that particular year, BBM was the masterpiece that was about as much of a "sure thing" as there had ever been.

Bane-TDKR2.jpg

Not one award!

Pigs will fly when a Comic Movie no matter how good wins one of the major awards :censored:

I can't recall the French Director but I can recall what he said:

" Comedies and Musicals will never win much, if anything ever at all. The Juries take themselves way too seriously."

I concur with the above quote.

CAL the movie maven...