• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oscar shutout

99 posts in this topic

Avatar was nominated for Best Pic and Best Director. It's the highest grossing movie of all-time.

Personally, I gave a big middle finger to the Academy Awards after the Brokeback Mtn debacle. Don't care about the ceremony any longer in the slightest.

That was the risk the Academy took regarding BrMtn. Yes they did come under a lot of fire for that.

CAL who remembers...

I must have missed that.. what was the debacle/risk?

Basically, BBM was a shoe-in for the Best Pic. It had garnered every major award leading up to the Oscar ceremony to an unprecedented degree. Even Jack Nicholson, when he read 'Crash' on the envelope, was shocked. Then Academy members even came out and said they weren't even going to watch some gay cowboy movie, let alone vote for it. It all just smacked of homophobia, and really, there was no other reason for BBM to lose to Crash.

The risk of course is that Hollywood was afraid of being seen as queer, and alienating the general public. On the other hand, a huge segment of the Oscars' audience over the years is very gay (used to be one of my favorite nights of the year!), so it felt worse than a betrayal. It felt to many like the Hollywood establishment spat on gays and kicked them to the curb. Hard to take the Oscars seriously after that.

Granted, not everyone agrees or liked BBM. People will always have their favorites. But in that particular year, BBM was the masterpiece that was about as much of a "sure thing" as there had ever been.

Ironically, the Director for BBM was the same Director that did The HULK 1.

Ang Lee.

Didn't he just do the life of Pi? I saw this, and it IS unlike any other mainstream movie. I liked it.

No Spoilers CAL...

Avatar was nominated for Best Pic and Best Director. It's the highest grossing movie of all-time.

Personally, I gave a big middle finger to the Academy Awards after the Brokeback Mtn debacle. Don't care about the ceremony any longer in the slightest.

That was the risk the Academy took regarding BrMtn. Yes they did come under a lot of fire for that.

CAL who remembers...

I must have missed that.. what was the debacle/risk?

Basically, BBM was a shoe-in for the Best Pic. It had garnered every major award leading up to the Oscar ceremony to an unprecedented degree. Even Jack Nicholson, when he read 'Crash' on the envelope, was shocked. Then Academy members even came out and said they weren't even going to watch some gay cowboy movie, let alone vote for it. It all just smacked of homophobia, and really, there was no other reason for BBM to lose to Crash.

The risk of course is that Hollywood was afraid of being seen as queer, and alienating the general public. On the other hand, a huge segment of the Oscars' audience over the years is very gay (used to be one of my favorite nights of the year!), so it felt worse than a betrayal. It felt to many like the Hollywood establishment spat on gays and kicked them to the curb. Hard to take the Oscars seriously after that.

Granted, not everyone agrees or liked BBM. People will always have their favorites. But in that particular year, BBM was the masterpiece that was about as much of a "sure thing" as there had ever been.

Ironically, the Director for BBM was the same Director that did The HULK 1.

Ang Lee.

Didn't he just do the life of Pi? I saw this, and it IS unlike any other mainstream movie. I liked it.

No Spoilers CAL...

He did, which I didn't know until recently either! Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm eager to see it. I didn't know who Lee was until Crouching Tiger came out. That movie mystified me. In a good way!

Has anybody checked on ComicConnoisseur to make sure he didn't jump off a bridge after this news? hm

:facepalm:

Lincoln was a good flick,but I rather watch The Dark Knight Rises. To me TDKR was better movie. I think comic book movies have now caught up to mainstream Oscar type movies. I still say The Dark Knight Rises will be nominated for a best picture Oscar. Lincoln was good,but not great.

The Dark Knight Rises was superior. 2c

Bane-TDKR2.jpg

Not one award!

Nothing for my favorite picture of the year TDKR..

Not one damn nomination ! :mad:

I saw Lincoln and my two comic book movies were far more entertaining.

I guess the Hollywood fartsy artsy people don`t take us comic book people serious.

It all good because mainstream voted with their pocketbooks and agree with me that TDKR and Avengers are superior. :cloud9:

10 years from now they will still be talking about the Avengers and TDKR!

To the person I made the charity bet with please contact me for arrangements, and I will pay up.

I am still in shock that Avengers only got one nomination and TDKR didn`t get one stinkin nomination !

:cry:

:applause:

You just have to realize that the Academy Awards are artsy-fartsy awards. All it took was Star Wars not winning Best Picture to show just where those voters were coming from :makepoint:

Pigs will fly when a Comic Movie no matter how good wins one of the major awards :censored:

Why should we as comic book fans care if they win an award or not? Will it suddenly give comics some kind of legitimacy in the US? As fans we should be content that they make enough money that the studios will keep making more of them 2c

As a fan I hope that they continue to make more of them....maybe someone will get it right eventually :devil:

Pigs will fly when a Comic Movie no matter how good wins one of the major awards :censored:

(shrug)

maxwell_1.jpg

On a serious note, it's unlikely but not impossible. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and Ledger's win for DK were big steps towards taking "our" kind of movies more seriously. But has been said already, so long as they keep making outstanding comic book movies (and they keep doing well at the box office), it doesn't matter if they win any awards or not.

You should care because if the cash cow starts to slip, that would be BAD for our Hobby.

CAL been doing this for decades...

So if comic book movies don't win Academy Awards they're not going to make as much money?

(shrug)

maxwell_1.jpg

On a serious note, it's unlikely but not impossible. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and Ledger's win for DK were big steps towards taking "our" kind of movies more seriously. But has been said already, so long as they keep making outstanding comic book movies (and they keep doing well at the box office), it doesn't matter if they win any awards or not.

I agree ( except for the outstanding part ). I don't need some critic or award to tell me that Predator was an awesome movie.

You should care because if the cash cow starts to slip, that would be BAD for our Hobby.

So if comic book movies don't win Academy Awards they're not going to make as much money?

I have no idea. BUT if that cash cow starts to slip( not making gobs of cash to make the Fed Reserve turn green like the ink they use to print money) you betcha that the Hollywood machine will start "piling on" the excuses reasons why the Majors stopped getting funding to make your comic book movies...

CAL who does know what he is talking about...

I have no idea. BUT if that cash cow starts to slip( not making gobs of cash to make the Fed Reserve turn green like the ink they use to print money) you betcha that the Hollywood machine will start "piling on" the excuses reasons why the Majors stopped getting funding to make your comic book movies...

I'm not sure I get your point. I think it's pretty obvious that if a production fails to make money the odds are slim that they'll continue to make them. Am I close?

I'm not sure I get your point. I think it's pretty obvious that if a production fails to make money the odds are slim that they'll continue to make them. Am I close?

Now you got it!

Eureka!!

CAL running down the hallway naked w/ IMSM 9.6 in hand...

Life of Pi was a wonderful film, adapted from a book I hadn't read that apparently walks the fine line of fantasy and reality. I doubt it will win for lack of poular backs to pat. I also think Ironman was the last best chance of an oscar for a superhero movie. I think it will always be thought that if that film didn't win, none of the should.

For all the excellent films this year, the comic films got shut out with only 1 exception - Avengers got a visual effects nomination.

That seems a bit messed up considering Batman, Avengers, & Spidey combined for a gross of over $3.3billion.

I'm not saying money should always equal nominations - but I saw, Lincoln, The Hobbit, & Les Mis as well and while they all deserved some nods, it's frankly silly that Downey Jr has never received a nod for Tony Stark - that role could not be played better, or that movies which break into the top 10 in all time earnings aren't at least considered for best picture (especially when films like DKR do it without the 3D revenue). OR, how about a director nod for Whedon because of the skill it takes to balance the crazy number of huge personalities in that movie, or Nolan (you realize, he never got a director nod for any of his Batman work)? None of the comic films could even muster a costume, editing, production design, or cinematography nomination despite the impressively believable fantasy worlds they created.

rantrant

Actually, the Hobbit was only nominated for three (I think it was) minor awards. Quite a contrast with the nominations for Return of the King.

Didn't see DKR yet, but didn't think either the Avengers or Spider-man were worthy of Oscar consideration. Of course neither was Les Mis - which I got roped into seeing with my daughter. I'd rather sit through the Daredevil movie than watch that again.

Have to disagree there - what they did with Les Mis was remarkable for an on screen musical. Russel Crowe was about the only weak performer in the film because he was so focused on the singing he couldn't act. Hathaway's ability to put as much emotion into her performance while holding onto the music was really surprising and worthy of the nomination I thought. If you don't enjoy the story or don't enjoy musicals then it makes sense you could be bored because the story itself isn't fast moving, but I thought the film was done really really well (even though I think the non-movie music is still better).

+1 les mis was a pretty damn good movie imo

And speaking of the same director... The Kings Speech was a much better movie than the Social Network...much, much better... also imo of course.

Really surprising that Les Mis was nominated for Best Picture while Hooper wasn't nominated for Best Director. The filming of that movie had to be much more daunting than the filming of The King's Speech.

Now you got it!

Eureka!!

CAL running down the hallway naked w/ IMSM 9.6 in hand...

Pics or it didn't happen :blush:

This may have been mentioned but I heard Django was very good, but more importantly the Dicaprio was outstanding. I think its about time he got an Oscar already. I hated him after the Titanic crazy, but I think he's turned into the best actor in Hollywood.

I haven't seen this latest movie but I agree. Leo has really grown into a fine actor.

Nothing in Titanic was done well other than the boat.

This may have been mentioned but I heard Django was very good, but more importantly the Dicaprio was outstanding. I think its about time he got an Oscar already. I hated him after the Titanic crazy, but I think he's turned into the best actor in Hollywood.

I will fully admit that early on I thought he was nothing more than eye candy to draw girls into the theater. I've been totally turned around and I find him to be a terrific actor and I enjoy pretty much any movie he's in now.

I will fully admit that early on I thought he was nothing more than eye candy to draw girls into the theater. I've been totally turned around and I find him to be a terrific actor and I enjoy pretty much any movie he's in now.

I'm amazed we agree on something about movies :applause:

3.3 billion doesn't automatically buy you an award, nor should it.

Obviously, but fanboys always start screaming "but it made X billion!" when the relationship between box office and quality veers the other direction the majority of the time.

When Home Alone was the biggest grossing movie of the year, and one of the biggest ever at the time, I don't remember anyone screaming about how it was shut out of the Oscar race. hm