• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Never even thought of that mate - thats uncanny!

If its 5% as succesful as TWD then this should be pretty good.

I hope the interior art is as good as the cover.

ordered a few when i made this thread, i definitely think this will be the first hot book from Image in 2013.

I agree with you on this book. Anyone think Image Comics one day in the future will take be in the overtake Marvel & DC for the top spot??

ordered a few when i made this thread, i definitely think this will be the first hot book from Image in 2013.

I agree with you on this book. Anyone think Image Comics one day in the future will take be in the overtake Marvel & DC for the top spot??

No, i dont think they can, but a strong third, yes. The problem with Image is there fortune will rise and fall with the secondary market. Yes, the books are good, but that wont be enough to support the sales levels currently shown.

If AvX consequences 5 is outselling Walking Dead....and so are 35ish other books on any given month. There is just no way Image can get there. They need to have 20 plus books selling more than Walking Dead, sustainably. it's too far for them to reach.

Plus, if the modern secondary market takes a dip, a whole bunch of things would be working against Image.

Speculation will stop over night, flooding would begin.

Many creator owned launches would fail, even if good quality, and many existing ones would see their print runs cut in half.

This will then start to force top talent back to work for hire, and the guaranteed money

Image lives or dies with the secondary market imo.

I think Image will have a nice Decade run, and will always be third, but this is their golden days imo.

If and when the secondary market stumbles, they will have a low period again like post 90s crash.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked, but it has a lot more to do with a total market shift in terms of the types of material that consumers want. Superheroes are somewhat tired and the comic book as a medium is certainly evolving. At the same time, though, superheroes are so ingrained in society that I do not expect them to go quietly, and this might be a 50 year process.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked, but it has a lot more to do with a total market shift in terms of the types of material that consumers want. Superheroes are somewhat tired and the comic book as a medium is certainly evolving. At the same time, though, superheroes are so ingrained in society that I do not expect them to go quietly, and this might be a 50 year process.

Rick Grimes in the new superhero of our generation.

We have seen stranger things though folks. Ever image Marvel Comics being bought by Disney? The Hostess brand name gone forever? Lucas sells Lucasfilms? Heck, even ICEE drinks have pulled out of most locations. Plus Image doesn't use that paper stock we all love to hate :)

No, i dont think they can, but a strong third, yes. The problem with Image is there fortune will rise and fall with the secondary market. Yes, the books are good, but that wont be enough to support the sales levels currently shown.

If AvX consequences 5 is outselling Walking Dead....and so are 35ish other books on any given month. There is just no way Image can get there. They need to have 20 plus books selling more than Walking Dead, sustainably. it's too far for them to reach.

Plus, if the modern secondary market takes a dip, a whole bunch of things would be working against Image.

Speculation will stop over night, flooding would begin.

Many creator owned launches would fail, even if good quality, and many existing ones would see their print runs cut in half.

This will then start to force top talent back to work for hire, and the guaranteed money

Image lives or dies with the secondary market imo.

I think Image will have a nice Decade run, and will always be third, but this is their golden days imo.

If and when the secondary market stumbles, they will have a low period again like post 90s crash.

Hmm, I don't really see how the secondary market is so important to image? Money that people make on the secondary market doesn't really go back to image, they only make their money off the initial purchase. For exmaple, lets look at Peter Panzerfaust. Kurtis and Tyler are basically making the book for nothing while people in the secondary market are cashing on issue #1. How does the secondary market help them?

I'd think the percentage of people that are buying expensive first prints is quite small compared to readers.Most people are happy with a cheap 2nd print, TPB or a digital copy.

It's an interesting question for sure and I don't think we can really predict the future. I'm just happy to have good comics. Hopefully IMAGE's market share keeps increasing and forces Marvel and DC to continue to try and innovate and take more chances with new properties themselves.

Hmm, I don't really see how the secondary market is so important to image? Money that people make on the secondary market doesn't really go back to image, they only make their money off the initial purchase. For exmaple, lets look at Peter Panzerfaust. Kurtis and Tyler are basically making the book for nothing while people in the secondary market are cashing on issue #1. How does the secondary market help them?

I'd think the percentage of people that are buying expensive first prints is quite small compared to readers.Most people are happy with a cheap 2nd print, TPB or a digital copy.

It's an interesting question for sure and I don't think we can really predict the future. I'm just happy to have good comics. Hopefully IMAGE's market share keeps increasing and forces Marvel and DC to continue to try and innovate and take more chances with new properties themselves.

I agree we can't know for sure. My comment on the secondary markets importance to image, is that people making money on the secondary market leads to massive increases in sales in the primary market.

Poll people on any of the threads for a book, and see how many own only a "single" copy of any image book launched in the last two years. Marvel and DC live and die by the pull list, which is why they cycle books so often, and have events every year.

Image is making boatloads of extra sales on people buying 5,10,15,20, even more copies of a single title. If the secondary market dips, those sales vanish. That's all I was trying to point out :)