• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

How many variants for this do you see coming out?

if WonderCon and FanExpo do not have a variant for this, I will be shocked.

WondeCon is that week. FanExpo is huge for Image and is less than a month after release.

I'm also sure that the shop variant crowd will be lining up to make variants for this as well. There will be at least 1 of those.

I hope all of the above is wrong and only the regular cover comes out but there is just too much gasoline near an open flame.

#2 cover regular looks cool

IMG130036_m.jpg

there's the trap, you think a comic is going to be overorderd, like Saga, so that makes you think you can just walk into a comic store whenever you please and grab a few 9.8 copies. Of course much to your surprise it's sold out, or one beater copy is left...you frantically check online and guess what...sold out.

The onl other thing I am worried about is, SAGA only got this big push after announced as the best book of the year. If EOW is even a good story but not great, it can't get too big, can it?

There's ALWAYS the risk that a book won't be good, or just mediocre. If that's your worry then it stands for every book so you probably shouldn't pre-order anything.

Saga was hugely popular and selling for more than cover price way before the push it got from being named book of the year. It was BKV... and not just that, it was BKV coming back to comics. Yet people still didn't pre-order... comic shops still didn't order enough. Then people still didn't order the 2nd printing so they needed a 3rd printing and then people still didn't order that so they had to do a 4th printing etc etc up to 5 printings. It's ridiculous.

The onl other thing I am worried about is, SAGA only got this big push after announced as the best book of the year. If EOW is even a good story but not great, it can't get too big, can it?

There's ALWAYS the risk that a book won't be good, or just mediocre. If that's your worry then it stands for every book so you probably shouldn't pre-order anything.

Saga was hugely popular and selling for more than cover price way before the push it got from being named book of the year. It was BKV... and not just that, it was BKV coming back to comics. Yet people still didn't pre-order... comic shops still didn't order enough. Then people still didn't order the 2nd printing so they needed a 3rd printing and then people still didn't order that so they had to do a 4th printing etc etc up to 5 printings. It's ridiculous.

If ONLY........ hm

If ONLY........ hm

If only what? hm

Saga has had some up and downs before the latest mania. The RRP was always expensive though, which is why (as I was too late), I never bought one. Then when I saw the spike coming in early january, I bought a 9.6 (to at least avoid some of the premium).

I think becuase regular saga slabs never broke through the $100 barrier, people discounted the book as a financial winner. Once the spike started, then everyone who took it for granted that saga was easy to get, scrambled to get caught up/positioned.

Right now that initial spike has kind of died down as lots of supply has come on. A floor is being built, and the supply will dwindle away. 6 months from now, not many people will be selling raw saga sets imo.

I think that makes for a good model for a non-tv show successful modern comic. It will come and go in waves. East of West will have variants, for sure, as others have pointed out. The conventions will have them. The 1st print will not be a good early flip candidate, many people will try to quick flips them for $10 etc.

The variants will be expensive from the get go, especially if there are only a couple. If the book is a hit (story/art), follow the standard sage advice, "wait for issue 6". By that time, the initial quick flippers will have been run dry, TPB will come out, and prices will start to rise.

My 2c:)

Edited by CBT

Saga has had some up and downs before the latest mania. The RRP was always expensive though, which is why (as I was too late), I never bought one. Then when I saw the spike coming in early january, I bought a 9.6 (to at least avoid some of the premium).

I think becuase regular saga slabs never broke through the $100 barrier, people discounted the book as a financial winner. Once the spike started, then everyone who took it for granted that saga was easy to get, scrambled to get caught up/positioned.

Right now that initial spike has kind of died down as lots of supply has come on. A floor is being built, and the supply will dwindle away. 6 months from now, not many people will be selling raw saga sets imo.

I think that makes for a good model for a non-tv show successful modern comic. It will come and go in waves. East of West will have variants, for sure, as other pointed out. The convention will have them. The 1st print will not be a good early flip candidate, many people will try to quick flips them for $10 etc.

The variants will be expensive from the get go, especially if there are only a couple. If the book is a hit (story/art), follow the standard sage advise, "wait for issue 6". By the time, the initial quick flippers will have been run dry, TPB will come out, and prices will start to rise.

:cloud9:Thank you, exactly the kind of response I wanted

I think that makes for a good model for a non-tv show successful modern comic. It will come and go in waves. East of West will have variants, for sure, as other pointed out. The convention will have them. The 1st print will not be a good early flip candidate, many people will try to quick flips them for $10 etc.

The variants will be expensive from the get go, especially if there are only a couple. If the book is a hit (story/art), follow the standard sage advise, "wait for issue 6". By the time, the initial quick flippers will have been run dry, TPB will come out, and prices will start to rise.

:cloud9:Thank you, exactly the kind of response I wanted

CBT, it's too logical and therefore wrong.... :jokealert:

I think that makes for a good model for a non-tv show successful modern comic. It will come and go in waves. East of West will have variants, for sure, as others have pointed out. The conventions will have them. The 1st print will not be a good early flip candidate, many people will try to quick flips them for $10 etc.

The variants will be expensive from the get go, especially if there are only a couple. If the book is a hit (story/art), follow the standard sage advice, "wait for issue 6". By that time, the initial quick flippers will have been run dry, TPB will come out, and prices will start to rise.

Preach!

Let the harsh comments begin, but as always; I really don't care :):makepoint:

I have pre-ordered EofW. It was a small order of 100 for #1 and 100 for #2.

^ They were cheap with pre-order, so why not? I will be using my special dividend money I got from my equities last month; thank you government for making the companies freak out with the tax increase talk and issue special dividends!!!!! Those dividends covered my Christmas and 2013 comic purchases :takeit:[/u]

Let's revisit this thread after they are printed. If EofW does not survive; no loss on my part! :cloud9:

R_H