• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

No that Viperdays fellow said the print run would be 50,000 and he had 1% of the total already purchased = 500.

Not you Ryan.

You on the Bourbon again? What time is it at your joint?

To answer a few more PM's .

Where to buy quantity? for example

Checkout mailordercomics.com out of Nebraska. Wonderful customer service (penny) and awrsome packaging. Order deadlines for most ALL books is 23 days before release. 38-50% of cover. Call them and tell them Hollywood referred you for their services.

JZ

Are higher print runs going to kill the comic marketplace?

In the short term (18 months to 24 months) NO . The publishers would LOVE to print 50K,100K to 1,000,000 books . So too would the distributors enjoy placing these orders and taking their 10+% for doing it. Intermediate time frame(2-5 years) YES. there just are not 1,000,000 customers for each release. Anyone want to comment on storage areas full of X-Force #1, Spider-man #1 (McFarlane run) , X-Men #1 (Jim Lee) etc etc etc

When should I consider bailing?

I don't have a crystal ball but when the sportscard guys who buy 50+ cases of product that costs $1,000 + per case become aware of the ROI comics are bringing in again they won't hesitate to buy 1000 or more of each "HOT" title. They are in it to make $ . I have bills to pay, a family to care for a ex-wife to appease. I am sorry comics are not immune to a bubble.

What books are you buying ?

Image comics currently are a good investment. Marvel/DC #1's with tons of variants added. Flipping the variants immediately can pay for and even give one a profit. IF the book is great you can really make a nice ROI

Are you the devil?

umm...depends on who you ask lol

thanks for the smart reply. perhaps you didn't read further about the Marvel/DC books and variants.Next years response won't be Image books as they will be into the100K +print range. Beanie babies, Furbys, POGS etc etc etc My user id comes from my ride and the house I live in is 5000+ sq foot on the intracoastal (the waterway for those overseas). ALL from comics,cards,coins,action figures etc Sometimes the obvious response is the right response . Sheesh people . The reason people don't like joining discussions on these boards is because of these idiotic attacks. Why there are far more lurkers than those that contribute to the forum. Just the other day I was reading the Bedlam thread and was amazed how a investor with a 100+cgc books was being called out because others couldn't fathom someone investing THEIR money into that amount of books.

Anyone here old enough to have made a killing during the 90's with their stock portfolios? IPO's of everything/anything .com associated. A MONKEY throwing darts could have given the same SEARING INSIGHT at the time.

IMAGE IMAGE IMAGE ..... is the same as VALIANT VALIANT VALIANT back then . Sorry if the obvious hurts peoples feelings. There is an ever expanding bubble that WILL burst. Someone will be left with a warehouse full of these comics but it won't be me or those that are aware of cycles in the market and don't try to fight the trend!

Edited by viperdays

Remember my shark post a few days past that only few agreed with ...

:acclaim:

I'm not happy about this, but this is what happens.

I still think bedlam qualifies, all those NYCC threads, etc etc

People have as many Bedlams as they are talking about buying EoW.

I have 7 CGC 9.8 Bedlam #1s

and 13 raw.

Wont be buying that many EOW, promise you that.

I am no expert... But only an old dog always willing to learn the ropes.

Comic books and sports cards were mainly the two items that paid for my college degree. I was lucky to have graduated in 1989 and went on to graduate school with the money I made. During graduate school I had no time to devote to buying and selling. However, it was the perfect accidental period to have gotten out and stayed out. The only titles I kept as a long term investments are ASM, batman, avengers, X-men, and other keys. ASM has been my favorite and am only missing a few issues to complete the full run.

Since 2008 I have gotten back into collecting and the only comics I keep in my collection are slabbed keys and mostly silver age. They are for the long haul or for my three children to do what they want with them. I buy moderns in moderations. For example, I just recently sold a complete set of WD on eBay because I thought the market has presently peaked for them. However, I have 1 more set to sell perhaps when WD reach another peak.

I have said again and again to PMs and comments to other threads here, my strategy is only buy moderns to trade for keys and silver age comics.

Remember the 90s when anyone and their pets can choose a penny stock and it becomes a winner? Well, I missed the boat on that too luckily. I had a few family members and friends who lost everything as a result of it.

So everything in moderation. It's not a race.... Enjoying the hobby and staying conservative is what has kept me financially stable.

My humble opinion

Remember my shark post a few days past that only few agreed with ...

:acclaim:

I'm not happy about this, but this is what happens.

I still think bedlam qualifies, all those NYCC threads, etc etc

People have as many Bedlams as they are talking about buying EoW.

I have 7 CGC 9.8 Bedlam #1s

and 13 raw.

Wont be buying that many EOW, promise you that.

I fully agree Bedlams in there. But the hobby is BLOWING up now. More and more "Hollywoods" are coming to play..

thanks for the smart reply. perhaps you didn't read further about the Marvel/DC books and variants.Next years response won't be Image books as they will be into the100K +print range. Beanie babies, Furbys, POGS etc etc etc My user id comes from my ride and the house I live in is 5000+ sq foot on the intracoastal (the waterway for those overseas). ALL from comics,cards,coins,action figures etc Sometimes the obvious response is the right response . Sheesh people . The reason people don't like joining discussions on these boards is because of these idiotic attacks. Why there are far more lurkers than those that contribute to the forum. Just the other day I was reading the Bedlam thread and was amazed how a investor with a 100+cgc books was being called out because others couldn't fathom someone investing THEIR money into that amount of books.

Anyone here old enough to have made a killing during the 90's with their stock portfolios? IPO's of everything/anything .com associated. A MONKEY throwing darts could have given the same SEARING INSIGHT at the time.

IMAGE IMAGE IMAGE ..... is the same as VALIANT VALIANT VALIANT back then . Sorry if the obvious hurts peoples feelings. There is an ever expanding bubble that WILL burst. Someone will be left with a warehouse full of these comics but it won't be me or those that are aware of cycles in the market and don't try to fight the trend!

For a 20 year veteran of the stock market you seem a little thin-skinned.

Not thin-skinned at all . If anything I don't shy away from confrontation at all. That is why I replied immediately. Your comment was rude hence the response. I see people who hoard and don't share information on these boards . Sharing insight can only help your cause. Translation.... BUY BUY BUY people so I can SELL SELL SELL into the market . How about that for being open about motives!