• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

what i'm saying is the comic companies aren't necessarily profiting as much from digital as from hard copies. Enough so that it doesn't makes sense to decrease the amount of printed copies produced...yet.

Interesting... you would think digital was more profitable b/c there is low overhead (no printing, transport, etc.)

what i'm saying is the comic companies aren't necessarily profiting as much from digital as from hard copies. Enough so that it doesn't makes sense to decrease the amount of printed copies produced...yet.

My point is future buyers down the road. Newer readers coming to market are less lightly to go the original floppy route. I bet the average age of this board is around 50.

Digital comics are a very long way from being profitable.

"They have solid business models and could break away from the pack to become market leaders. Plus their revenues are in the millions. Chelsea-based startup ComiXology created a digital marketplace for comic books. In 2011, about 100 million comic books were downloaded from their site and sales revenue hit $19 million. They haven’t disclosed 2012 revenues yet, but the company expects it to triple." SOURCE

CreatorOwnedPieChart-Digital.pngSOURCE

Digital comics are a very long way from being profitable.

Can you elaborate? I can't remember the breakdown of the numbers now from our conversation, but the margins were quite a bit higher for companies to sell a digital comic (and even though it's selling much cheaper), than to get that same sale via a retailer.

Just think of the costs alone in printing/distribution/inventory, etc, that is eliminated from being digital?

Thanks Ryan, I found the original article of that graph here...hopefully the owner doesn't mind us referencing his info...

http://www.jimzub.com/?p=2066

It seems that comicology's cut is very high, and I would suspect it will come down in time. Really, what's to stop any publisher from just selling them directly on their website, and eliminate the middle man all together?

Thanks Ryan, I found the original article of that graph here...hopefully the owner doesn't mind us referencing his info...

It seems that comicology's cut is very high, and I would suspect it will come down in time. Really, what's to stop any publisher from just selling them directly on their website, and eliminate the middle man all together?

I'm sure a little has to do with convenience as well, one stop shopping.......

I'm sure a little has to do with convenience as well, one stop shopping.......

I don't think that would be a major inconvenience. For starters, there's a lot of people that only buy/read 1 or 2 publishers, and what if you have to go to two different sources if it's 10-15% cheaper?

Interesting... you would think digital was more profitable b/c there is low overhead (no printing, transport, etc.)

This idea is what got Apple and a bunch of book publishers sued over the price of e-books. Apple was saying that the printing the books was actually the cheapest part of the distribution, thus they could price e-books only slightly cheaper.

Edited by comicfan17blue

I have been distracted with the Peter Panzerfaust thread that I forgot about this.

My friend today ordered 80 copies through our LCS. The guy said the order went through and not backordered or anything. I am new to this whole preorder/Diamond thing.

I think this will be another Bedlam in terms of speculating.

Too many people buying gobs of copies for it to be say a NWM or PP.

Thats my concern as well. But a sci-fi western?! sounds great.

I think this will be another Bedlam in terms of speculating.

Too many people buying gobs of copies for it to be say a NWM or PP.

Thats my concern as well. But a sci-fi western?! sounds great.

People are buying 80 copies of this and we haven't even seen a storyline preview?

tumblr_lj7n9x2O4x1qignq2o1_500.gif