• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

I was told there would be no math.

DRE! you are getting your shoes dirty posting in EoW lol. I'll post math more often if it gets you posting :baiting:

lol

1600 posts recap:

Speculation

More speculation

Even More speculation

"The book is goona suck!"

"You suck!"

"No, you suck!"

"Is it out yet?"

Variants, variants, more Variants.

The Modern Market is gonna crash in flames!

Reviews look promising.

"It's out!"

"What's the print run?"

Flipping is good/bad.

Math.

more info just for fun, if people wonder why revival struggled so long for the first print to move up in value, it was one of the worst:

Fatale

=========

#1 20520

#2 20320

Thief of Thieves

================

#1 17880

#2 14290

Bedlam

==============

#1 22740

#2 18580

Revival

=============

#1 18040

#2 10490

What, no percentage breakdowns :frustrated:

Nice math my friend (thumbs u

lol , just for you ryan :)

Fatale:

1% Drop

ToT:

20% Drop

Bedlam:

18% Drop

Revival:

42% Drop

and while this is a great early metric, people looking for false hope on Bedlam.....after this early metric, you then have to watch the trend line month to month

Bedlam:

#3 14250 another 23% down

#4 13910 aother 2.4% down

that's NOT a good trend...but looks like the drop was split between 2 and 3, instead of just on 2 like revival. Revival by the way, is almost back up to #1. Go Rev Go!

Just based on these numbers I don't think the % drop in print run from issue #1 to #2 is important at all. I'd put my money on Revival and TOT (with the highest drops) over Fatale and Bedlam (with the lowest drops) any day of the week. What's more important is the trend of print runs as the series develops over 6+ issues.

I was told there would be no math.

DRE! you are getting your shoes dirty posting in EoW lol. I'll post math more often if it gets you posting :baiting:

lol

1600 posts recap:

Speculation

More speculation

Even More speculation

"The book is goona suck!"

"You suck!"

"No, you suck!"

"Is it out yet?"

Variants, variants, more Variants.

The Modern Market is gonna crash in flames!

Reviews look promising.

"It's out!"

"What's the print run?"

Flipping is good/bad.

Math.

that's impressively accurate. have you read the book yet? I started the thread cause I like hickman, but my comics come delayed a month so I have to live vicariously through others until then :sorry:

To me... these people who flip right out of the gate and don't let the comic mature just to gain a dollar or two profit are truly BOTTOM FEEDERS!!! The only one making the money is Ebay. Geesh, are times that bad.... it might be time to find a real job.

Sorry for venting but it really gets annoying when everyone tries to undercut someone for a quick buck. I hope we aren't heading toward darker times in this market.

Couldn't disagree with this statement more. So everyone who sells modern comics as they are released doesn't have a full time job? and are bottom feeders? No one forces anyone to make a purchase. If someone wants to pay XX over cover then let them.

You miss my point, why sell a book for peanuts pay, it doesn't make sense, it makes people look desperate like they need to do this which leads me to believe they don't have a job. Because if I had one which I do, wasting my time making two dollars on a book doesn't seem like a worth while endeavor, which doesn't help the market in the long run. That's true, no one forces anybody to make a purchase but if the little of cover price didn't exist people would be buying it at a higher one. I own 100 copies of this book. Of the 100 copies, just how many will be sold now? 0. I invest for the long term and don't need to sell any because I have a job to pay the bills.

Just based on these numbers I don't think the % drop in print run from issue #1 to #2 is important at all. I'd put my money on Revival and TOT (with the highest drops) over Fatale and Bedlam (with the lowest drops) any day of the week. What's more important is the trend of print runs as the series develops over 6+ issues.

It shows how strong the speculation is in the books like ToT and Revival. Bedlam is the worst of them all, but it happened over two books instead of one.

Fatale and Saga see no drop, and thats cause they are much more reader driven (and before the current upswing in speculation).

Thief of thieves is a black sheep, in its numbers are more like the late 2012 books once speculation had spiked so much, but it was a kirkman book with tv rumor from launch, so that explains it.

I think the number one thing it can tell you, is how stable a book is. For people living by the "6-issue" rule, it can certainly give you a canary in the coal mine about something being wrong.

Edited by CBT

more info just for fun, if people wonder why revival struggled so long for the first print to move up in value, it was one of the worst:

Fatale

=========

#1 20520

#2 20320

Thief of Thieves

================

#1 17880

#2 14290

Bedlam

==============

#1 22740

#2 18580

Revival

=============

#1 18040

#2 10490

What, no percentage breakdowns :frustrated:

Nice math my friend (thumbs u

lol , just for you ryan :)

Fatale:

1% Drop

ToT:

20% Drop

Bedlam:

18% Drop

Revival:

42% Drop

and while this is a great early metric, people looking for false hope on Bedlam.....after this early metric, you then have to watch the trend line month to month

Bedlam:

#3 14250 another 23% down

#4 13910 aother 2.4% down

that's NOT a good trend...but looks like the drop was split between 2 and 3, instead of just on 2 like revival. Revival by the way, is almost back up to #1. Go Rev Go!

Part of the problem on Bedlam is that the 1st tpb isn't out yet, and 2nd/3rd prints are not available at a lot of shops. I know, because I run into a lot of readers waiting for this tpb at the local shops out here.

EOW should raise the bar on all comics tho. It's the best book to come out since Saga imo.

Edited by cujobyte

It shows how strong the speculation is in the books like ToT and Revival. Bedlam is the worst of them all, but it happened over two books instead of one.

Fatale and Saga see no drop, and thats cause they are much more reader driven (and before the current upswing in speculation).

Thief of thieves is a black sheep, in its numbers are more like the late 2012 books once speculation had spiked so much, but it was a hickman book with tv rumor from launch, so that explains it.

I think the number one thing it can tell you, is how stable a book is. For people living by the "6-issue" rule, it can certainly give you a canary in the coal mine about something being wrong.

That makes sense (thumbs u

Part of the problem on Bedlam is that the 1st tpb isn't out yet, and 2nd/3rd prints are not available at a lot of shops. I know, because I run into a lot of readers waiting for this tpb at the local shops out here.

revival eventually started climbing, and i think bedlam will too. it took 6 months for revival to clear the oversupply. I have routinely guestimated bedlam to be twice as bad, so i think it will take a year or more. I am not trashing bedlam's quality, just saying, it was the first true book of the

"Speculation Age"

Revival is one foot in, one foot out.

To me... these people who flip right out of the gate and don't let the comic mature just to gain a dollar or two profit are truly BOTTOM FEEDERS!!! The only one making the money is Ebay. Geesh, are times that bad.... it might be time to find a real job.

Sorry for venting but it really gets annoying when everyone tries to undercut someone for a quick buck. I hope we aren't heading toward darker times in this market.

Couldn't disagree with this statement more. So everyone who sells modern comics as they are released doesn't have a full time job? and are bottom feeders? No one forces anyone to make a purchase. If someone wants to pay XX over cover then let them.

You miss my point, why sell a book for peanuts pay, it doesn't make sense, it makes people look desperate like they need to do this which leads me to believe they don't have a job. Because if I had one which I do, wasting my time making two dollars on a book doesn't seem like a worth while endeavor, which doesn't help the market in the long run. That's true, no one forces anybody to make a purchase but if the little of cover price didn't exist people would be buying it at a higher one. I own 100 copies of this book. Of the 100 copies, just how many will be sold now? 0. I invest for the long term and don't need to sell any because I have a job to pay the bills.

See the smart thing to do would be selling what you can to cover the cost put into it then keep the rest for intended "profit". Pay yourself 1st! If you bought these at 50% off then selling them at cover you wouldn't have to sell much and then you can put the rest aside for when it does sell for tons of money. If they don't go up in value then you've already gotten back what you've spent.

If you're doing it every week like most of the early sellers were yesterday selling groups of 10 that's a nice 5-10% bump on your paycheck. Today it is people that aren't as informed with speculation who are just everyday readers looking to pay for some of their other issues.

I work in pharmaceutical research. I am in lab for maybe 1-2 hours a day and the other 4-6 hours I just spend thinking so I check this forum. I have been reading comics for 6 months selling for 2 months. If I can flip for extra dollars to upgrade my resort from garden view to ocean view over a month than I'm going to do it.

Edited by tommyVoltage

If you order hundreds of dollars worth a month then selling for a few dollars profit turns out to be pretty substantial.

Not sure how many books people sell but I sold rougly 1200 books last year or 100 books a month. To me making 2 dollars on a book equals a nice profit to spend on more books. Of course i spent most the profits on alcohol and fast food but that is beside the point

See the smart thing to do would be selling what you can to cover the cost put into it then keep the rest for intended "profit". Pay yourself 1st! If you bought these at 50% off then selling them at cover you wouldn't have to sell much and then you can put the rest aside for when it does sell for tons of money. If they don't go up in value then you've already gotten back what you've spent.

Yep. It actually makes perfect sense. They don't have their money tied up in comic books and will still reap the same rewards. And if the book happens to bomb, they won't lose any money (while you will).