• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

After reading reviews I emailed my store to see if they could pull me a copy. I'm interested if they have any left. They open at 12 so I should know soon...

Chris, I have been looking at your video for a sec and dear god ...she is smashed approved! (thumbs u

Agreed. I need to know who that is immediately. She needs to be googled :baiting:

Make sure you either don't do that at work, or have your safe search on. Her "name" is Remy LaCroix.

-slym

has anyone seen this completed auction --- Am I missing something? $91

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330896237450?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The boards' best guess is the buyer was misled by different art than the regular cover of #1, and they thought it was the RRP, although the auction description says first print.

-slym

My understanding is that the OA that does exist is actually a recreation of pages that he thinks would be desirable (and e is holding them as some sort of "nest egg"). I wouldn't touch them.

Nick Dragotta told me at WonderCon that he is doing it mostly digital. Only the covers and certain panels that he feels are important to the series are being done by hand. But he is not selling those because he is invested in the series and plans on doing the series as long as Hickman lets him.

BUT, he does take commissions. I got a nice "Crow" and saw a few really good looking ones of "Death" pointing his pistol!

I know its, "pictures or it didnt happen" .. so pictures will follow!

Someone is in a cranky mood

Everyday. I can't wait to go home and take a picture of the 40 Revival sets I have that he told the retailer to stop selling to me.

If you have 40 revival phantom sets.. you won the battle.. but he will win the war.

After reading reviews I emailed my store to see if they could pull me a copy. I'm interested if they have any left. They open at 12 so I should know soon...

Chris, I have been looking at your video for a sec and dear god ...she is smashed approved! (thumbs u

Agreed. I need to know who that is immediately. She needs to be googled :baiting:

Make sure you either don't do that at work, or have your safe search on. Her "name" is Remy LaCroix.

-slym

OMG! I watched the full video. I stand by my smashed approval! (thumbs u

Just think of what these modern comics are going to be worth is 15 years. Before the mid 2000's comics had print runs of 150,000 and plenty more. Most of your late silver and bronze key issues had print runs much higher than most of the books these days.

Very true. 50k-ish is still small compared to the top selling comics from the big two, and still tiny overall. It actually makes me wonder why books like TWD #1 aren't worth more.

Because the number of comic readers has been and will continue to shrink. When the top selling comic books are selling 20-30,000, we'll all think the 50,000 print run is huge.

And the majority of comic readers read trades. How many people do you know that read the trades of Walking Dead, versus the issues?

I can count on one hand the people I know who go to the LCS to pick up the Walking Dead or Saga, yet know dozens that go to amazon and order the trades.

Unfortunately, the majority of people I know wouldn't read a comic book (TPB or otherwise) if I gave them the copies to read each and every month. I could count with one hand (and have a couple of fingers left over) the total number of people I know that read comics, TPB or not.

Also, where did you read that the majority of comic readers read TPBs? I'd love to see a source for this information.

I was sarcastically responding to a statement concerning print runs and how small 50,000 copies look. 50,000 copies in February 2013 would land you in the top 35 titles for the month. That doesn't seem that small to me. I remember when 200,000 copies looked like a small print run. Then 150,000 copies and then 100,000 copies. Is it really unreasonable to see that someday 50,000 copies might be the number of copies for the best selling titles (top 10 titles)? While it is great we've had a rebound from the lows of a few years ago (but only slightly, as 85,000 copies still lands you in the top 10 titles, 20,000 copies will get you around the 100th rank, and a mere 8000 copies will get you around the 200th rank), I'm guessing we'll test those lows again and then some.

And anyone who cannot see that comic readership has shrunk over the years is deluding themselves, TPBs or no TPBs. When I was a kid, comics were not popular, but it was easy to find other kids that read comics. But then, comics were accessible (both in content, price, and physical location in stores.) Today, not so much. There are too many other ways for people to spend their money on entertainment they enjoy. Comic book movies? Absolutely. Comic books? No way.

No doubt readership has shrunk.

My mention of the trades is purely anecdotal in my own experience.

All the new readers to comics I have met, go the trade route.

Many of my friends who go to the shop weekly, have dropped many (some most) or their weekly pull list, in favour of trades from Amazon due to increasing prices and decline in quality.

Some more actively avoid buying 1's are too hard to find in their areas, or countries, and only buy trades because it is the only thing available. Even if they get a 1, their shop may not get 2.

Edited by wolf_2099

I hope people realize without floppies there are no trades.....

This could easily change. Comics could be created for the trade rather than the floppy.

Or, as Peter David has suggested, they could be released in trade first, and then later in floppy (sort of like a hardcover/soft cover approach).

Nothing is set in stone.