• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Basically it seems like it depends how dark the ink spots are, and then, how extensive. If its pencil grey, and relatively minimal, it seems to be passing for 9.8's, if its darker, blackish colored, or spread throughout the back cover, they seem to be grading down.

Heres a good example of minimal ink stains on a raw that I think would be acceptable as a 9.8

They almost always appear by the top staple for some reason.

EgR7Dta.jpg

See how they're really light in color?

And this was the most "questionable" copy I submitted. This is the one copy zi'm not sure of, because the roller lines extend all the way across the cover, even though they're really light. I'm hoping it'll come back 9.8 with the rest of them, but we'll see.

gYHhpIK.jpg

I've scoured ebay over the past three months checking out every slabbed 9.8 with a picture of a back cover scan, so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what passes. I havent seen any back cover scans of slabbed 9.6's and below, so ai can only imagine that its the darker, more pronounced ink stains that are bringing those grades down.

Edited by Meta4

Funny exchange lol

This years new series have been very good overall. I'm guessing they will have 5 nominations for each category and I can't get to just 5 on my own. I like

East of West, hands down my favorite book out right now.

Five Ghosts, got off to a fantastic start,which was meant to be a mini and ended up ongoing for which I'm thankful.

Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth, see Five Ghosts except funniest book in years imho

Trillium, it is great when a writer is also the artist. Very pure book.

The Wake, I can't put my finger on it but this book reminds me of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Maybe because it so different and to me there are similarities in the tone of the story.

Injustice Gods Among Us, DC without all of the restraints of history.

Superior Spider-man, Marvel without all of the restraints of Peter Parker ( good and bad )

Rat Queens, the second most fun book of the year but with only 2 issues out, it is difficult to accurately guess how good this is going to be long term. I think it will be great.

Letter 44, only 1 issue but wow what a start and everybody should try it because it is only a buck!

Jupiter's Legacy, this would probably get my vote for best of the year if it came out monthly. It has definitely been my most memorable read of the year.

Infinity, I like the story and the art a bunch. The introduction of a new, potentially very important character should at least get people to take a look.

Stars Wars by Wood, this series was and is as good as a Star Wars comic can be imho.

Lazarus, Rucka and Lark back together with a really neat idea.

Other new stuff that I thought was worth reading,

Helheim, Superman Unchained, Polarity, Snapshot, Uber, Ghosted, Sheltered, Velvet, and I'm sure I'm leaving off something that will make feel bad for leaving it out.

:sumo: East of West wins my vote :sumo:

+1

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=East+Of+West+Vol+1+HC+Con_1308058

So has anyone seen this? I went back a few pages and didn't see anything. I ordered one finally.

Image debuted those at the New York Comic Con for $40.

I've been making my posts very unclear recently hah. I meant has anyone seen them listed on Midtown yet. $34 is a good price.

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=East+Of+West+Vol+1+HC+Con_1308058

So has anyone seen this? I went back a few pages and didn't see anything. I ordered one finally.

Image debuted those at the New York Comic Con for $40.

I've been making my posts very unclear recently hah. I meant has anyone seen them listed on Midtown yet. $34 is a good price.

They've been up for a few weeks. I didn't see it at $34. That is a great price though!

:whee::ohnoez::banana: just finally was notified my RRP, GHOST & FORBIDDEN PLANET VARIANTS HAVE BEEN GRADED

I AM SO HAPPY just need them to ship now so i can find out the my grades :pullhair:hopefully by next week. (shrug) i am so hoping for a 9.8 :wishluck:

:whee::ohnoez::banana: just finally was notified my RRP, GHOST & FORBIDDEN PLANET VARIANTS HAVE BEEN GRADED

I AM SO HAPPY just need them to ship now so i can find out the my grades :pullhair:hopefully by next week. (shrug) i am so hoping for a 9.8 :wishluck:

Congrats emezy :applause:

Maybe you get one of the elusive 9.9s hm

lol i never have that kind of luck i wish so hard i almost mess myself lol

lol i never have that kind of luck i wish so hard i almost mess myself lol

lol

Yeah.. kinda kicking myself for not being patient on the Hardcover... even though it's only $15/20 bucks difference from what I paid. Not like I haven't wasted 20 bucks on worse things.

I can't complain too much since I had some great raw karma at my local con a couple weeks back (non EOW books).

Edited by Rhymenoceros