• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Typically not a huge speculator, but I went pretty hard with this one and Pretty Deadly in solicits and ordered A BUNCH. Not, like, Viper-type... But enough where even if they were $25, I'd be super happy.

I'm with you. I usually pick about 3 to 5 books every year to gamble on a little. Sometimes they hit big and sometimes they don't. I've only been a loser on one of them and that was Superman 204. lol I preordered heavy on that run and after the first 3 issues I was wondering what was wrong with me. I am a big Jim Lee fan ( I would guess most of us are) and I also loved azzarello on 100 Bullets. I thought what could go wrong bahahahahahahahaha.

Now I might buy a few of something preordered but mostly I start buying heavy after issue 3 or 4 when people start dumping if I really like something. I think there are at least 5 books selling way too cheap on the secondary market right now and I couldn't be happier. Now if they are still cheap in 6 months, well...oops lol

Edited by The Authority

I've sold most of my #1s and STILL have about 75 copies I'm sitting on, which are far beyond free at this point.

No way in hell does this book hit $50 raw any time soon. As soon as the price moves, more will hit ebay. Guaranteed.

So many people did the same thing I did. I'm not a big pre-order guy, but it was such a super-obvious quick flip based on the discounted advance order price, the creative team and the heat around Image.

I got about 20 #1's left at this point. A few that I slow boated to CGC as well. Figure when I get them back there might be some more heat on them.

I'd also be happy if this gets to the $20+ raw range. Great read and believe it can do it!

No chance.

$15 will already be hopefully. Too much supply. Anytime this book starts getting $10, expect more supply to come to the market.

Can I do an informal survey here?

How many of you still own more than 20 copies of regular EoW 1?

lol I have about 20 cgc #1s between ghost and regular. Have a lot more than 20 raw lol

Predictions for Nov/Dec?

$50-$60 #1 raw

$150 range #1 9.8?

No way. I think max, $85.

Raw will be $15-20

This.

The only thing I can see causing this to jump above these figures would be a tv/movie rumor or lots of nods for best comic of 2013. Think.. 'what is going to cause 20k + new readers to jump on in the next 4 months.'

I don't think the books will be overly high in Nov/Dec but I also don't think it would take 20,000 new readers to drive prices on any book. Supply just has to be outweighed by demand and voila lol

Here are some statistics for you! :grin:

Saga is now selling 142% of the current issue compared to what it sold of #1.

(#1 = 37,641. #12 = 53,339)

Ignoring #4 of EoW because there was a variant that (probably) skewed numbers, and therefore using #3, East of West is current selling 80% of what it did for #1.

(#1 = 49,518. #3 = 39,441)

In order for East of West to get to Saga-level of demand-vs-supply (ie 142%), East of West would have to start selling just over 70,000 copies of current issues. That's almost 21,000 extra readers than it had with #3.

IMO almost any image #1 right now is a quick flip but I just choose to hold my EOW #1's cause I'm willing to wait a year or longer and really cash out. Just depends on what you model is.

Edited by natevegas

Predictions for Nov/Dec?

$50-$60 #1 raw

$150 range #1 9.8?

Raw will be $15-20

This.

The only thing I can see causing this to jump above these figures would be a tv/movie rumor or lots of nods for best comic of 2013. Think.. 'what is going to cause 20k + new readers to jump on in the next 4 months.'

I don't think the books will be overly high in Nov/Dec but I also don't think it would take 20,000 new readers to drive prices on any book. Supply just has to be outweighed by demand and voila lol

Ignoring #4 of EoW because there was a variant that (probably) skewed numbers, and therefore using #3, East of West is current selling 80% of what it did for #1.

In order for East of West to get to Saga-level of demand-vs-supply (ie 142%), East of West would have to start selling just over 70,000 copies of current issues. That's almost 21,000 extra readers than it had with #3.

If you're ignoring #4 because of variants, shouldn't you also account for variants of issue 1? It seems like issue 1 regular probably sold roughly 44,000 copies. I agree that it'll have to start selling many more copies for there to be an equivalent copies of current issue/copies of issue 1 ratio, but that sort of adjustment certainly makes the needed reader growth look somewhat more obtainable. Also, the book doesn't need to have the same ratio as Saga to still be a sought after book.

That being said, I don't see regular #1s going crazy anytime soon. The FP variants I think will do well (and the Ghosts will do OK), but I agree with Brett's logic that there are a lot of copies out there just waiting to be brought to market. Still, given how many people out there bought quantity at discounted prices, raws rising to $20 each doesn't seem like such a bad outcome and seems possible (although not probable).

I'm confused here. I've seen this book at cons selling for 10-15 buck a floppy and on freebay its hovering around the 10 dollar mark. And nobody thinks this book will go higher than 20 bucks say a year from now? lol seriously?

It very well may. But Brett is right: there are a lot of people sitting on stacks of EoW 1. Brett's behavior isn't all that atypical with this book. What I find stunning about the book is that the sales numbers are still strong (38,000 ish) even though I imagine that most people are NOT speculating on issues other than #1 (although #3 - first Xio - and #5 - first you know what if you've read it - could be awesome books to have as the series goes on).

Predictions for Nov/Dec?

$50-$60 #1 raw

$150 range #1 9.8?

Raw will be $15-20

This.

If you're ignoring #4 because of variants, shouldn't you also account for variants of issue 1? It seems like issue 1 regular probably sold roughly 44,000 copies. I agree that it'll have to start selling many more copies for there to be an equivalent copies of current issue/copies of issue 1 ratio, but that sort of adjustment certainly makes the needed reader growth look somewhat more obtainable. Also, the book doesn't need to have the same ratio as Saga to still be a sought after book.

That being said, I don't see regular #1s going crazy anytime soon. The FP variants I think will do well (and the Ghosts will do OK), but I agree with Brett's logic that there are a lot of copies out there just waiting to be brought to market. Still, given how many people out there bought quantity at discounted prices, raws rising to $20 each doesn't seem like such a bad outcome and seems possible (although not probable).

Changing EoW to 44k means it would need just over 18,000 more readers/sales to get to the same % as Saga.

Obviously there are other factors at play that make a book desirable. Print runs can go down on subsequent issues but still be a "hot" book. Just with the excessive hopefulness of EoW being a $50 book like Saga I felt this thread needed a little perspective. I don't see it being a $20 book any time soon either because sooooo many people bought multiple copies of this (and probably multiples of #2, 3 and 4 too) so who knows what the real readership number is.

$20 book? sure.

$50 book? cant see it.

Also, not fair to compare EoW to Saga.

different reading demographics

+1

I like East of West, but I still don't see it hitting Saga like numbers. I've said that a few times in this thread and stuff just gets chucked at me though.

I'm confused here. I've seen this book at cons selling for 10-15 buck a floppy and on freebay its hovering around the 10 dollar mark. And nobody thinks this book will go higher than 20 bucks say a year from now? lol seriously?

You've shifted the goal posts. The original post on value was estimating it being a $50-60 book by November. It could be a $20 book in a years time. It could still be a $10 book in a years time. Depends how many people out there with multiple copies are happy to sell them for $10.

In the UK you can still get copies for double cover price including postage.

$20 book? sure.

$50 book? cant see it.

Also, not fair to compare EoW to Saga.

different reading demographics

That doesn't even make sense. Those numbers don't have anything to do with reading demographics - they don't care whether it's 40,000 male readers or female readers.