• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

(shrug)

When you market a book, when you say it will be 50 issues and are committed to a 5 year run, you also have an obligation to the people you sold them to imo. If you can't honor your commitment, don't promote it. He gets money from marvel, he gets money from us. 2c

(shrug)

When you market a book, when you say it will be 50 issues and are committed to a 5 year run, you also have an obligation to the people you sold them to imo. If you can't honor your commitment, don't promote it. He gets money from marvel, he gets money from us. 2c

Agreed. Just like publishers can get upset when you miss deadlines, fans can as well. When you become the creator who can't get books shipped on time, your sales suffer. Recent trends show if you tell people to expect a hiatus, they dont mind. But when you just ship books inconsistently, people stop buying them. I plan to start trade waiting this title, and I know it's making me iffy on investigating his other works. There are just too many excellent books on the market to settle.

(shrug)

Exactly.

Yeah, it sucks that it's late, but he has to fulfill his contractual obligations first. The Marvel work will have to take priority. I don't fault him at all.

Why should him taking one job be a priority over his other contractual obligations with Image? (shrug)

I don't agree with the delays trust me. But his deal with Marvel is a legal contract that he has to fulfill his contractual obligations.

His deal with Image is to publish the book. After that with Image it's sink or swim, it's up to the creative team to put the book out.

He's clearly spread himself too thin, so in the end if you had pick there is only one option is to fulfill the Marvel contract so he can then focus back on his creator owned stuff which he might not even have the audience if he didn't have his Marvel gig. And in turn he wouldn't have the Marvel gig if it wasn't for his creator-owned stuff :shy:

Delays definitely turn away readers and I hate them. My biggest gripe with delays is just a lack of communication. I would feel better if the creative just said hey readers this is why the book is late etc... instead of us playing this guessing game.

Then the readers feel betrayed like you guys are saying. We are paying for these book and have an expectation for them to come out on a certain schedule. Especially when they're solicited every month.

Edited by Tuff Ghost

Yeah, it sucks that it's late, but he has to fulfill his contractual obligations first. The Marvel work will have to take priority. I don't fault him at all.

Why should him taking one job be a priority over his other contractual obligations with Image? (shrug)

He has a legal contract with Marvel to produce a certain amount of books in a certain time period. If he doesn't, then he doesn't get paid and whatever else his contract stipulates.

His Image work is creator owned. It's basically up to a creative team to decide when a book comes out. As far as I am aware of, there are no contractual obligations to Image.

Taken from the Image website:

What does “creator-owned” mean?

“Creator-owned” means exactly that—the trademark and copyright of the work in question is wholly owned by its original creator. The majority of the comics and graphic novels published by Image are creator-owned. While Image as a company does have some say in the promotion and distribution of the titles it publishes, it is done with non-creative interference to protect the company and maintain responsibility for our public image.

I see what you mean and understand . My thinking is fairly simple. I used to read Nick Spencer stuff but he started coming up with excuses so then I went to his twitter site to see if I could get info. After a brief read there, I would never, and I mean never, buy or even read another book this guy is associated with in any way, shape, or form. I've avoided Hickman's twitter for that very reason. I don't want to be disappointed like that by another writer. So, I wait but my patience has worn thin because of all of the stuff I've seen Dragotta and Hickman produce while not seeming to care much about a book many of us supported. The readership on this book has been cut in half and I seriously doubt that this is a reflection of it's quality. 2c

He has a legal contract with Marvel to produce a certain amount of books in a certain time period. If he doesn't, then he doesn't get paid and whatever else his contract stipulates.

His Image work is creator owned. It's basically up to a creative team to decide when a book comes out. As far as I am aware of, there are no contractual obligations to Image.

Taken from the Image website:

What does “creator-owned” mean?

“Creator-owned” means exactly that—the trademark and copyright of the work in question is wholly owned by its original creator. The majority of the comics and graphic novels published by Image are creator-owned. While Image as a company does have some say in the promotion and distribution of the titles it publishes, it is done with non-creative interference to protect the company and maintain responsibility for our public image.

Image as a company would have a hard time enforcing anything since the guy running the thing can't get his own book out in over a year. lol

I see what you mean and understand . My thinking is fairly simple. I used to read Nick Spencer stuff but he started coming up with excuses so then I went to his twitter site to see if I could get info. After a brief read there, I would never, and I mean never, buy or even read another book this guy is associated with in any way, shape, or form. I've avoided Hickman's twitter for that very reason. I don't want to be disappointed like that by another writer. So, I wait but my patience has worn thin because of all of the stuff I've seen Dragotta and Hickman produce while not seeming to care much about a book many of us supported. The readership on this book has been cut in half and I seriously doubt that this is a reflection of it's quality. 2c

I understand that, but what work is Hickman producing, outside of his Marvel stuff, that is released more regularly than East of West? I'm a huge fan of Manhattan Projects, but that book went on a hiatus earlier this year.

If he is done at Marvel after the whole Secret Wars and relaunch, then I hope he cranks them out so we can get more of his quality creator-owned stuff.

From the Image website

In 2014, Nick Spencer (MORNING GLORIES, BEDLAM) will team up with three different artists and launch three new thriller series sure to capture readers’ imaginations.

A contemporary fantasy epic with a spy thriller aesthetic, PARADIGMS will showcase art by Butch Guice (Captain America, Superman) and explore a world that exists beyond, or more specifically behind, ours. In the shadows where magic is real, warring clans of sorcerers battle for power and the favor of their gods.

A sci-fi thriller of dead worlds, lost secrets, and hidden dangers, CERULEAN, with art by Frazer Irving (MORNING GLORIES, BEDLAM, Batman), follows the last survivors of the destruction of Earth as they struggle to rebuild civilization on a distant planet full of its own mysteries.

In the GREAT BEYOND, featuring art by Morgan Jeske (ZERO, SEX) a "post-life community" values the size of your bank account over morals and values—and your place in the hereafter is determined by it. But then polite society is rocked by the apparent suicide of one of its own.

"I knew I wanted 2014 to be a big year for my creator-owned work, but I never dreamed I'd get the opportunity to work with so many incredible artists! Collaborating with a legend like Butch, a visionary like Frazer, or an exciting new star like Morgan, it just makes you want to tell great stories with them and do the best work you possibly can. And it's always great to be doing it at Image, which has been like home to me the entirety of my career. I really believe in what we're doing here, and I can't wait for people to see what's next."

PARADIGMS, CERULEAN, and GREAT BEYOND are all new, ongoing science-fiction/fantasy series coming to Image Comics in 2014.