• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your thoughts on some Silver Acre Comics funny book business...

73 posts in this topic

Originally posted in the Brian Bolland thread:

I saw this on Brian's blog when he posted it and set out to purchase some books.

Never visiting their (Silver Acre Comics) site before I found they had some books I wanted, so I ordered them.

Copy of order:

JIMMY OLSEN (1954) By DC Volume 1,134 VFN+ (BRIAN BOLLAND COLLECTION SIGNED CERT) #46230

SKU SKU0046230

Price £39.95

Quantity 1 item(s)

JIMMY OLSEN (1954) By DC Volume 1,134 VG+ (INTRO DARKSEID) #46231

SKU SKU0046231

Price £11.95

Quantity 1 item(s)

JIMMY OLSEN (1954) By DC Volume 1,134 FN (INTRO DARKSEID) #46232

SKU SKU0046232

Price £19.95

Quantity 1 item(s)

Order info

Payment method PayPal (PayPal)

Delivery method International (Rest Of The World, excl UK and Europe)

Subtotal £71.85

Discount £0.00

Coupon saving £0.00 ()

Shipping cost £9.20

Total £81.05

Three days later my order was cancelled.

No email just refunded using Paypal with the comment:

Hi Refund is for order #5818 as books are out of stock. Regards Darryl

The problem lies that they are now listed on the site for:

JIMMY OLSEN (1954) By DC Volume 1,134 FN (INTRO DARKSEID)

£94.95

JIMMY OLSEN (1954) By DC Volume 1,134 VFN+ (INTRO DARKSEID)

£199.95

JIMMY OLSEN (1954) By DC Volume 1,134 VG+ (INTRO DARKSEID)

£39.95

Are there any internet (U.S. or UK) lawyers that can get me these books at my original prices?

With some $250 an hour legal advice, you should go in the hole.

Exactly. Sure Darryl's aware of it.

To put a positive spin on the loss of these books, his grading is a bit rubbish, so I don't believe the OP would've been terribly impressed with them, anyway. One order was enough for me to conclude that.

tell Bolland on twitter
I just left this comment on the blog post re: selling his comics.

Hi Brian,

I have a negative story re: Silver Acre.

I successfully purchased your Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #134 (39.95 pounds), but then 3 days later was issued a refund stating that the book had been sold.

The problem is that Daryl has now listed the comic at over 4 times the original purchase price (199.95 pounds).

Was this your request or theirs?

This is the third occasion in the last few months where Darryl has pulled the exact same stunt of cancelling someone's order because he thinks he can get a bit more money for the books, who knows how many times he's done it recently that we haven't heard of, it seems standard business practice to him. How he's ever managed to keep any customers over the years is beyond me. doh!

Arsenalherd pretty much summed it up, I certainly won't deal with him and neither will a lot of others around here.

Consider yourself lucky.

I still regret buying from him in the 90's at shows knowing that my money went toward expanding his business. He's well known around these parts to be one of the worst dealers in the business. Never again.

A shame a guy like that gives other Brits a bad name.

I sent him an e-mail recently and based solely on that correspondence I decided not to buy from him. Some people you instantly feel comfortable doing business with but my first impression of Daryl was not one that made me feel comfortable at all.

Sometimes you just have to trust your gut and I'm glad I did.