• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walk me through a typical walkthru at the CGC

51 posts in this topic

Thank you all for your rude responses.

Dude. You got plenty of courteous and concise responses to your questions. However, when you ask how much shipping cost is when you walk the book up to the counter - you have to expect a level of smartassery in the response.

Dude. You got plenty of courteous and concise responses to your questions. However, when you ask how much shipping cost is when you walk the book up to the counter - you have to expect a level of smartassery in the response.

Physician Balls - the latest post referred to a shipped walk-thru, which therefore would entail return shipping.

CCx19 - please don't let your feathers get ruffled over those oh so mildly acerbic responses. Just stick around - there are sure to be posts far more deserving of feather-ruffling than these!

Physician Balls - the latest post referred to a shipped walk-thru, which therefore would entail return shipping.

CCx19 - please don't let your feathers get ruffled over those oh so mildly acerbic responses. Just stick around - there are sure to be posts far more deserving of feather-ruffling than these!

While the questions in and of themselves were not bad questions, they could have been answered in 5 minutes looking them up on CGCs site. I don't believe in rude responses but when does it go from inquisitive to lazy.

Is the 3$ FMV the total cost of the slabbing or is there a minimum amount that all walkthrus cost? I'd think if I had a couple of modern comics that they'd hardly be worth the CGCs effort to slab at only 3% FMV. So I'm assuming there is some minimum?

Minimum charge of $150.

Lets say the book is worth 100 bucks, at 3% Do i just owe them 3 bucks?

:whee:

This.

Ahh, gotcha. And yes, CCx19: Don't pet the sweaty stuff, and don't sweat the petty stuff. This place is pretty awesome.

No, thank you for being too lazy to do even the most basic of information gathering on your own.

Well you ignorant and rude person, this is a FORUM where people ask questions and get answers, I ACTUALLY did have to look it up because of thses smart answers. I am capable and did so. I simply thought it would be much faster to ask some fellow boardies who would be able to produce an answer within seconds.

Feel free to come down off your high horse.

Hopefully in real life your not so rude and simply are here because you can hide behind a computer screen.

Ahh, gotcha. And yes, CCx19: Don't pet the sweaty stuff, and don't sweat the petty stuff. This place is pretty awesome.

Will do. Thanks.

With regards to that 3% FMV, how is that determined? Let's use this as an example:

More Fun Comics #73, November 1941. First appearance of Green Arrow, Speedy and Aquaman.

I hypothetically roll into the CGC with an unslabbed MFC 73 which will for the purpose of argument grade at a 5.5.

The gpa pricing for this issue and grade has only 2 recorded sales: 1) on November 21, 2003 for $4025.00 and 2) on December 11, 2012 for $7111.00

A Fine grade of the same comic in Overstreet would clock in around $4500 as of November 2012.

For argument sake once again, I stroll into the CGC with this ungraded 5.5 in November 2012: the last sale on gpa was $4025. The current Overstreet is approximately $4500. There's typically a huge difference in price between gpa and overstreet. The next sale for 7K+ hasn't occurred so there's very little data to review to determine an accurate FMV IMHO.

More recently, a boardie had one for sale on Ebay in this same grade for $8995.00. Bidding ended on Jan. 11th.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/More-Fun-Comics-73-CGC-5-5-OW-pages-2-new-major-DC-Comics-heroes-Rare-/130828909923?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e7602bd63

How would that get priced?

Smart-assery welcome!

With regards to that 3% FMV, how is that determined? Let's use this as an example:

More Fun Comics #73, November 1941. First appearance of Green Arrow, Speedy and Aquaman.

I hypothetically roll into the CGC with an unslabbed MFC 73 which will for the purpose of argument grade at a 5.5.

The gpa pricing for this issue and grade has only 2 recorded sales: 1) on November 21, 2003 for $4025.00 and 2) on December 11, 2012 for $7111.00

A Fine grade of the same comic in Overstreet would clock in around $4500 as of November 2012.

For argument sake once again, I stroll into the CGC with this ungraded 5.5 in November 2012: the last sale on gpa was $4025. The current Overstreet is approximately $4500. There's typically a huge difference in price between gpa and overstreet. The next sale for 7K+ hasn't occurred so there's very little data to review to determine an accurate FMV IMHO.

More recently, a boardie had one for sale on Ebay in this same grade for $8995.00. Bidding ended on Jan. 11th.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/More-Fun-Comics-73-CGC-5-5-OW-pages-2-new-major-DC-Comics-heroes-Rare-/130828909923?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e7602bd63

How would that get priced?

Smart-assery welcome!

The quick answer is whatever you value the book at. If you write down $5,000 you would pay 3% FMV or $150.00. Say it grades out at 8.0 and is now worth $10,000 CGC may decide to bump you and collect the additional $150.00 in grading fees.

If it comes back lower than expected or restored you do not get a refund.

I am now dumber having read this thread. :facepalm:

Which means you were dumb before you read it? (shrug)

Quite.

I was smart enough to know the answer to your stupid question, though. :gossip:

Quite.

not smart enough to give a pleasant reply tho. doh!

You'll get used to the pain after a while.

Quite.

not smart enough to give a pleasant reply tho. doh!

You'll get used to the pain after a while.

Ignorance is bliss eh