• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scarce, Rare, etc.

29 posts in this topic

I see these notations on the OS Guide, Catelog of Comic Books but what do they mean in specific terms and what different categories are there? Rare=1000or less?

If you look in the Glossary of Terms in the OS guide, I believe they define both RARE and SCARE there.

I see these notations on the OS Guide, Catelog of Comic Books but what do they mean in specific terms and what different categories are there? Rare=1000or less?

If you look in the Glossary of Terms in the OS guide, I believe they define both RARE and SCARE there.

thumbsup2.gif Will do. I was looking in the wrong area.

back in the day - -

SCARCE meant Bob was trying to scare up a copy

RARE meant he found one!!

tongue.gif

According to OS, Rare is up to 20 copies. Scarce is 20-100 copies. So I still want to know what to call a book with 20 copies known? Scare? Rarce?

According to OS, Rare is up to 20 copies. Scarce is 20-100 copies. So I still want to know what to call a book with 20 copies known? Scare? Rarce?

How about "a score"? 27_laughing.gifacclaim.gif Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week. Try the pork rinds and tip your bartender.

I'd call it very very very very very scarce. Or almost rare, but not quite!

How about a medium rare?

How about a medium rare?

Pov you walked into that one. 27_laughing.gif drum roll.

How about a medium rare?

Pov you walked into that one. 27_laughing.gif drum roll.

Hey! I'll walk into humor that good anytime! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif you couldn;t have come up with Medium Rare could you, Pov. Man!!!! foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

But it's not used this way, at least outside GA books. when they call Detective 27 "rare", that's what they mean. But it's hard to believe that's what they mean when they call "Vicki" (Atlas/Seabord) 3,4 "Scarce". Isn't it?

I always thought that "Rare" meant that there were truly few copies in existence, and that "Scarce" merely meant that real demand (people actually willing and able to buy) consistently far outstripped supply.

Rare would be a hard number then, say 10-20. Scarce wouldn't imply a number, just that however many there are, it isn't enough.

Does anyone else think Overstreet is not accurate in their "scarce" listings?

Example: Eerie Comics # 1 Avon one-shot. First horror comic. Listed as scarce, but there are already 20 slabbed copies in the census.

That's a lot of slabs for a "scarce" book, IMO. I'm betting there are more than 100 copies in existance out there.

Example: Eerie Comics # 1 Avon one-shot. First horror comic. Listed as scarce, but there are already 20 slabbed copies in the census.

That's a lot of slabs for a "scarce" book, IMO. I'm betting there are more than 100 copies in existance out there.

From what I gather many GA colectors keep their books raw and are not really looking to slabb them unless they are thinking about selling so the census is not a good watermark for determining what is rare, etc. Also, its a number one issue so your going to see more of them slabbed?

They may be off but time will eventually tell the accuracy of the numbers. I still believe that Eerie Comics #1 is scarce.

confused-smiley-013.gif

But it's not used this way, at least outside GA books. when they call Detective 27 "rare", that's what they mean. But it's hard to believe that's what they mean when they call "Vicki" (Atlas/Seabord) 3,4 "Scarce". Isn't it?

Basically I was just answering the specific questions about how thwe ords are defined, especially in OS Price Guide.

Rare and Scarce are very overused by poor sellers. They are even more misused with movie posters!

From what I gather many GA colectors keep their books raw and are not really looking to slabb them unless they are thinking about selling so the census is not a good watermark for determining what is rare, etc. Also, its a number one issue so your going to see more of them slabbed?

I'm not using the census to determine scarcity. What I was trying to illustrate is that the book in question is listed by Overtreet as scarce (20 -100copies) and yet there are already currently 20 slabbed copies.

The point I was trying to make was that in this case I believe Overstreet slapped a "scarce" notation on a book that might not be so.

20 copies known = Scarcely Rare! 27_laughing.gif