• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One staple books

32 posts in this topic

Here's one of my Fiction House one-staplers from August 1945. Man a frustrating book. It really is gorgeous and then you have the corner problems. But still. Just wonderful to see. The scan makes it look a lot worse. OK - no more excuses:

PS - any opinions on grade appreciated but secondary to contributing a 1-staple cover.

jungle68.jpg

I dug up my FC 146 last night at it too has only one staple, so I assume all copies of it have just one. However this book was put out in 1947, long after the war, as are a few of the other example mentioned so the reason for one staple must not simply be war rationing. Maybe publishers were just cutting cost? It only seems to be an odd book now and then... and it seems to be a variety of publishers.

And don't forget the 3 staple books. Do any of those have only two staples? WDCS ended 3 staples at issue 8 or 9.

Quote from my old post a couple of months ago:

War era wdcs 30-49 are one staple books.

+wdcs 1-9 have 3 staples - (there are slight variations on issue 9, some have 2 staples.)

Of the displayed slabbed books, mine appears to be the only one with the one staple noted on the label. I wonder if the seller viewed this as a defect since I only bought the book at a cost slightly over the cost of the slabbing. Their loss was my gain. grin.gif

LooneyTunes121.jpg

I wonder if the seller viewed this as a defect since I only bought the book at a cost slightly over the cost of the slabbing. Their loss was my gain. grin.gif

Seriously? That`s a steal! thumbsup2.gif That`s a good example of a manufacturing defect which has absolutely NO impact on the eye appeal of a book.