• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harley Yee's Email

73 posts in this topic

For Harley to do two shows simultaneously means that he has two sets of show stock. He also seems to have an eBay inventory. Now the question is whether his show stock and eBay stock (as well as the inventory at home) are integrated into a common online inventory database which the website can also tap into... All of which is VERY time consuming to do if you don't keep meticulous records.

That's probably why he doesn't have a functioning website.

I don't understand the reluctance of some dealers to set up a proper web presence. Guys like Jim Payette could probably increase their business 10 fold as a picture [scan] is worth a thousand dollars+. It wasn't too long ago when it was a chore to get scans from Metro but once they started to upload stuff daily I'm sure their traffic increased big time. Bob your site is great, one of my regular stops, same goes for WorldWide as they got it right from the get go. Comiclink needs a makeover worse than Ugly Betty.

Working harder doesn't necessarily translate into working smarter.

If you constantly have to answer the phone regarding transactions that shows your website sucks. The more automated the better.

As far as doing two shows the same weekends translating into "hustling". Harley has made some very bad convention choices when doing 2 shows on the same weekend.

When your primary income is conventions you have to hustle. My biggest Sales channel is my website. Conventions are where you pick up new customers, meet with existing ones and network potential collections etc.

Waiting for whizzer's rebuttal to this.

No rebuttal necessary. If you read my posts you will not see me defend Harley's policy of not communicating well or not replying to emails. I have agreed that it is better business practice to do these things.

What I have done, is take issue with people flaming the guy's character based on one flaw in the way he does business. The consensus of opinion would seem to be in general agreement with me. In short, Harley is a stand up guy and a trustworthy dealer who works hard, travels a lot and that his customer communication suffers as a result. It is not a sufficient reason to nail him to a cross.

The CGC boards has a proud history of outing dishonest sellers and fraudulent practice and that is to be commended. Unfortunately, the flip side of that is that a vocal but somewhat whiny minority will jump all over otherwise good sellers for, in some cases nothing at all and in others, very little.

No rebuttal necessary. If you read my posts you will not see me defend Harley's policy of not communicating well or not replying to emails. I have agreed that it is better business practice to do these things.

What I have done, is take issue with people flaming the guy's character based on one flaw in the way he does business. The consensus of opinion would seem to be in general agreement with me. In short, Harley is a stand up guy and a trustworthy dealer who works hard, travels a lot and that his customer communication suffers as a result. It is not a sufficient reason to nail him to a cross.

The CGC boards has a proud history of outing dishonest sellers and fraudulent practice and that is to be commended. Unfortunately, the flip side of that is that a vocal but somewhat whiny minority will jump all over otherwise good sellers for, in some cases nothing at all and in others, very little.

For the most part, comic book dealers don't graduate with business honours degrees. They graduate from being avid collectors to dealers, and each person is going to do things differently.

While Bob's selling venue of choice is online, it's obvious to see that Harley's is in person at the expense of online sales. There is no right or wrong way - it's just a [business] decision made by each seller.

For the most part, comic book dealers don't graduate with business honours degrees. They graduate from being avid collectors to dealers, and each person is going to do things differently.

While Bob's selling venue of choice is online, it's obvious to see that Harley's is in person at the expense of online sales. There is no right or wrong way - it's just a [business] decision made by each seller.

Indeed. I have bought books from both gentlemen in the past and would happily do so again.

I tried to buy from Harley twice. Both ended with the same outcome. He didnt get back to me and I didn't buy from him. What did that end up with? Me avoiding his booth at NYCC. I had plenty to see at others dealers who believe in responding.

Last time I communicated with Harley he sent me several JIM images of books I was looking for. When I emailed and called him to discuss the books and work out the pricing....I never heard back. I bought from someone else.

I have nothing against the guy at all....I just don't understand the business tactics. I'm in client service. I get calls all day. If I want to make money....I call them back or email them back. It's a simple model.

I tried to buy from Harley twice. Both ended with the same outcome. He didnt get back to me and I didn't buy from him. What did that end up with? Me avoiding his booth at NYCC. I had plenty to see at others dealers who believe in responding.

Last time I communicated with Harley he sent me several JIM images of books I was looking for. When I emailed and called him to discuss the books and work out the pricing....I never heard back. I bought from someone else.

I have nothing against the guy at all....I just don't understand the business tactics. I'm in client service. I get calls all day. If I want to make money....I call them back or email them back. It's a simple model.

I think these are all valid comments. No one is expecting perfection, but as far as communication is concerned, there seems to be some room for Harley to improve. That's all. No hate, no vehemence from me either.

I don't understand the reluctance of some dealers to set up a proper web presence. Guys like Jim Payette could probably increase their business 10 fold as a picture [scan] is worth a thousand dollars+. It wasn't too long ago when it was a chore to get scans from Metro but once they started to upload stuff daily I'm sure their traffic increased big time. Bob your site is great, one of my regular stops, same goes for WorldWide as they got it right from the get go. Comiclink needs a makeover worse than Ugly Betty.

Greg Reece has a great site too! (thumbs u

Greg Reece, Bob Storms, Dale Roberts and Roy have always been extremely responsive.

I like Greg, Bob and Roy's websites as well.

In fact, I got better responses from Nick at Comicana Direct than Harley and Nick lives in the UK. There is no excuse for poor communications in any business.

By the way, I'm not trying to defend Harley's lack of communication.

More like I am just saying that he's primarily a show dealer and that venue is where he excels at.

Mark, thanks for the kind words.

(thumbs u