• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how does your local LCS handle your subscription?

16 posts in this topic

1. Is there a minimum number of subscription titles to have your own box set aside?

2. Is it customary for them to charge a 1-time non-refundable box reservation fee?

3. Do they take care to protect and ensure that your issues remain as close to mint condition as they were when they arrived?

4. Do they offer any additional services such as pre bag in boarding for a nominal fee?

5. Do they offer the option to send ahead any copies of issues that you would like to have submitted to CGC? let's say I ordered 2 subscriptions to the same title and requested the better of the 2 issues that come in of that same title be sent to CGC directly.

I'm interested to hear about any additional services, extra steps, and things that your LCS does for your subscriptions or its customers that you really appreciate.

I'm also interested in hearing any stories or anecdotes about things you do not like about your LCS; related to management of your subscriptions or otherwise.

Thanks

1. Is there a minimum number of subscription titles to have your own box set aside?

Yes

2. Is it customary for them to charge a 1-time non-refundable box reservation fee?

Yes

3. Do they take care to protect and ensure that your issues remain as close to mint condition as they were when they arrived?

Not usually

4. Do they offer any additional services such as pre bag in boarding for a nominal fee?

Yes

5. Do they offer the option to send ahead any copies of issues that you would like to have submitted to CGC? let's say I ordered 2 subscriptions to the same title and requested the better of the 2 issues that come in of that same title be sent to CGC directly.

Nope

No idea what this is as mine are kept aside (behind the counter for when I get there)

Nope

Only had 1 book I was disappointed in the condition and got it this week :( Glad it was a bad book!

All subscribers (if you have pulls get bagged and boarded for free!)

We Canadian shops don't submit to CGC very often (only know of a handful that do regularly).

Heck no, they should be happy to start a pull list for you.

Again, heck no.

Well as always there could be issues, but if your on the pull list, it get taken from the diamond box right into a board and bag.

No charge for this.

No, not the stores in my city anyways.......good ol Canada.......

I'm a regular at my shop, so he takes care of me....let's me grab as amany as I want, holds my weekly pulls for weeks. I email him once or twice a week to pull moderns and back issues and he has no problems doing it. He knows what I collect and also always puts extras in my file...for example, I am a big spiderman fan, so when 700 came out and Superior, when I went to the shop he had both 1 in 100 books for me in my file, and gave them to me super cheap........so "those are my thoughts and not yours"........lol

NO

YES. In the event you leave out and have them holding issues they ordered for you.

YES

Free B/B. Discount depending on how many titles you order

Not that Im aware of.

I don't recall if they have a minimum. I know if have a certain number of titles you get a discount. I'm currently under that number (I get only the Goon and WD trades), but they still give me the discount.

No fees (ongoing or onetime).

No bag and board service.

Never had a problem with damage. When I was getting lots of titles years ago, I'd usually go and check the racks in search of the best copy. Then I realized I was wasting my time. Most of these books will always b worth cover or less, unless you slab a 9.8 or better and I'm not spending. The time or money trying to do that.

They don't have a CGC service.

They do have great employees that I enjoy talking comics with. They've almost always given me great recommendations on titles I may enjoy. Actually just had Northlanders recommended. Read a trade and really liked it. I'll be buying another one next time I'm there.

No

No, but they did make me leave my credit card info

Mixed. They mostly just put my comics into a file folder. Usually they come out nice. Other times....

Haven't asked....

No

In general, I really like my comic shop's pull list. The only thing that I do not like is that they don't give me a discount. That being said, I'm only pulling 5 or 6 books and they hold them for a few months at a time. And they are awesome. So, totally worth it to me.

Thanks

1. Is there a minimum number of subscription titles to have your own box set aside? YES - 5

2. Is it customary for them to charge a 1-time non-refundable box reservation fee? NO

3. Do they take care to protect and ensure that your issues remain as close to mint condition as they were when they arrived? NO

4. Do they offer any additional services such as pre bag in boarding for a nominal fee? NO

5. Do they offer the option to send ahead any copies of issues that you would like to have submitted to CGC? let's say I ordered 2 subscriptions to the same title and requested the better of the 2 issues that come in of that same title be sent to CGC directly. NO

I am continually reminded on the boards how much my LCS blows.

I am continually reminded on the boards how much my LCS blows.

I second this. My closest one is bad and terribly unfriendly about everything. It's only saving grace is that it's a big gaming store, so the selection is still pretty good if I miss a week.

Nope, the more subs you have the more of a discount you get

Nope

Nope not particularly

Nope, have to buy my own b&b

Nope

I've had a few different LCSes over the years and this is, more or less what I've come to expect if I walk in the door:

If I expect a "discount" I either need to sign up for their loyalty program or I need to order a minimum number of titles (generally 10). I would expect a one-time fee, but no more than $20, and, if there is a fee and I give whatever their notice for cancellation is (usually 1-month) then I can get that fee back.

I don't expect the books to be 9.8 candidates unless I'm there on Wednesday. The longer they sit in the storage system used, the more stress that they're put under. I've never had an LCS offer to bag-and-board my comics prior to pulling them, but they've all, without fail, had bags-and-boards on hand if I want to buy individually (usually $0.25/bag-and-board).

I've never heard of "advance" CGC submissions directly from the LCS. I also wouldn't trust them. I trust my eye for finding 9.8's, not someone else who really couldn't care less (and that's not a slight of the LCS, but if they're just pulling "a nice one" for submission for me, I really fail to see why they'd go that extra mile to inspect a book beyond a cursory glance).

1. Is there a minimum number of subscription titles to have your own box set aside? Nope

2. Is it customary for them to charge a 1-time non-refundable box reservation fee? Nope

3. Do they take care to protect and ensure that your issues remain as close to mint condition as they were when they arrived? My shops pretty good at this

4. Do they offer any additional services such as pre bag in boarding for a nominal fee? Yup, i think its 10 cents per comic to bag n board it

5. Do they offer the option to send ahead any copies of issues that you would like to have submitted to CGC? let's say I ordered 2 subscriptions to the same title and requested the better of the 2 issues that come in of that same title be sent to CGC directly. Nope

No minimum at any local LCS avg discount is 15% off cover, 1 shops does 20%

No fees

No, I have gotten really nice NMs and damaged books as well. Too much damage don't get my subs locally anymore.

No offer to bag before but can purchase after for 20cents for a bag and board

5. Do they offer the option to send ahead any copies of issues that you would like to have submitted to CGC?

CGC is limited in my area. One LCS holds 1-2 weekends a month were people can go and submit books to ship to CGC.

Extras:

Most shops do subs by Previews order forms, 1 LCS uses comixology.

Dislikes:

1-LCS's sub box was a long box with dividers and they would just drop your books in so lucky to get out NM/NM- books

The other LCS didn't take care of the books they gave me I had torn books or dented books or ones with color breaking creases. When I would bring it up to them they were like we can get a new book but you will need to wait ~2-3 weeks for us to get it.

No

No

I don't know about other areas, but in Tampa, most comics are delivered in *spoon* condition - from either Diamond or the carrier. My shop does as good a job as it can, but rarely is there 9.8 of a comic I would care to sub to CGC.

I don't think he charges.

5. Do they offer the option to send ahead any copies of issues that you would like to have submitted to CGC?

Not at the moment, but he is considering it. He is the only authorized CGC shop in Tampa and actually drives to CGC about once a month to submit/pick up slabs.

I guess most people wouldnt consider dcbservice.com an LCS . . . but of any shop I have ever had a sub with, they are the best. I would recommend them to anyone in a heartbeat.